The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

I was just down in the SF Bay area which is a good place to compare lots of different models. Previous excursions involved nylon strings and archtops, this time it was semis below $1000. There were surprises. All were played through amps with the same settings, I couldn't find the same amp everywhere but used a Quilter, a Blues Deluxe and a 65 Twin reissue. Gibsons were not included because of budget reasons.

Dangelicos- up to $2500, (there goes the budget). Well built and finished. Their surprise is low output pickups, good tone but lower output. The most entertaining model for me is the new Bob Weir Premiere Signature complete with Bigsby and coil spitting switch pots. (There go my jazzy credentials.)

This led me to Eastmans. I played the T486 and T184 MX. Again, well built and finished. The surprise, again the pickups. Not the best tone and a really surprising lack of dynamics.

The unexpected trial went to a newer Gretsch model the G2622 Streamliner. Very surprising. Great neck, well built, decent sound this gets a bang for the buck award.

Epiphones were pretty variable in quality, playability and sound. The Sheraton II s were all well made consistent, good sounding instruments. Below that you should play them before you buy as some were great and some grated on down through the Dots and Studios. The surprise here was one used Studio that kicked butt waay beyond its weight. Somebody had to have switched the pickups and gotten a good set up.

Ibanez were the most consistent budget semi. As 73, 93 etc... all performed with no surprises. The pickups have decent output.

The winner?
    A Guild Starfire 4 built in Westerly in 1998. A bit past the budget at $1275 but this guitar sounded better than anything it compared with plugged in and was better unplugged too. The only thing comparable was a Collings for $5300 but that is really out of the price zone.

I actually did pick up a used budget semi. I found a great deal on a Ibanez AGS83B with a new case which ticked all the boxes. It is about the same size as that Bob Weir but is more interesting visually than the flat grey D'amgelico and has hotter pickups. The pickguard was missing but Ibanez USA still has them in the warehouse and hooked me up with a dealer who offers free shipping.

Your results may vary, the guitars certainly do. The best advice is to play everything because you might find the unexpected suits your needs best.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Starfire 4 is a very nice guitar. Congratulations.

I didn't buy the Guild Jim, just reviewed it along with literally dozens of different guitars along with some things not mentioned like small PRS semis and Taylor hybrids. The Starfire 4 gave me really bad gas but cost too much for the experiment of trying semis. The Ibanez AGS83B with a new Ibanez case for $225 was perfect as it plays and sounds well beyond its weight and satisfies my remote Howard Roberts Fusion itch for the time being. Very smooth with really loooong sustain.
    Last edited by Cavalier; 06-29-2017 at 01:17 PM.

User Info Menu

I have yet to buy my first Ibanez, but based on their consistent quality reports all over the net, I don't think you can go wrong with Ibanez! Congratulations!

(I am secretly gassing on their Artcore Vintage series...ssshhh, don't tell the rest of the forum!)

Pssst, I played those too. They sound and play great but look like they went through the bottle throwing scene in the Blues Brothers. Deeeeep gouges and scratches buffed with a coarse pad. If they made a non distressed version you could age it yourself gracefully.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalier
    Pssst, I played those too. They sound and play great but look like they went through the bottle throwing scene in the Blues Brothers. Deeeeep gouges and scratches buffed with a coarse pad. If they made a non distressed version you could age it yourself gracefully.
    I had the same reaction. I played one just the other day at the local music store and I liked everything but the finish. The satin finish is cool but beating it with tire chains is overkill.

They also managed to tarnish/corrode the hardware and pickup covers a bit. I guess it is to simulate years of sweat, spilled beer etc.... I was going to replace the pickguard screws in my ancient SG when I learned people payed extra for the feature.....

User Info Menu

I landed a Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme for $1000. I first thought the Seymores in it were too bright. Plugged into my new Katana head with Friedman Runt cabinet and wow nellie! Great unique tone? Beautiful guitar and well built but buy it used!

Tom

ps - love Westerly, RI Guilds

I wanted to try a Godin Montreal Supreme but didn't find any. It fits the same niche as the Ibanez I picked up as a single cut semi. For sure setting the pickup height is the first thing to try. My AGS83B had them bottomed out which impacted the tone and output. Properly adjusted the difference was night and day.

User Info Menu

I've always liked Ibbys since first playing a friend's Roadstar back in 84. I didn't get around to buying one until about 18 months ago -- an AS-93 -- and I love it. Easy to play, good tones, and very versatile, it goes from jazz to funk to heavy rock without complaint.

I've got my eye on another Ibby, used, in a pawn shop, to replace the SG I recently sold. I don't know the model name, but it's a hell of a guitar; I'm just waiting for the price to come down. Internet pic:

Big fan here.

User Info Menu

The other semi hollow I can recommend in this price range (used) is the Epiphone Elitist '63 ES-335. Think that's the model name. I've only played one, but it was a big winner. Apart from not great tuners, that one was everything I'd want in a really good ES-335. In fact, better than any of the newer ES-335s I've tried. The Epiphone versions of the '57 classic p/us are not really to my taste, but that is a personal thing only.
    MD

User Info Menu

I recently got a used Ibanez AM93. Found it on eBay and got it for €295 (in EU 20 % tax included).
    This is a very fine guitar in every way. The neck is not too thin and very playable, nice sounding pu´s and fine craftmanship all the way through The neck pu is in fact one of the best for jazz tones I`ve heard. In most cases I find neck HB´s to easily get muddy in the bass, but in this guitar the Super 58 pu keeps the lows very clear while at the same time the highs are not getting harsh.

In EU they are sold new for aprox. €585 and well worth the money IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images affordable semi-hollow body guitarcomparison-am93ays_quiltedmaple_topbacksides-jpg 
    Last edited by bluefonia; 06-30-2017 at 09:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluefonia
    I recently got a used Ibanez AM93. Found it on eBay and got it for €295 (in EU 20 % tax included).
    This is a very fine guitar in every way. The neck is not too thin and very playable, nice sounding pu´s and fine craftmanship all the way through The neck pu is in fact one of the best for jazz tones I`ve heard. In most cases I find neck HB´s to easily get muddy in the bass, but in this guitar the Super 58 pu keeps the lows very clear while at the same time the highs are not getting harsh.

In EU they are sold new for aprox. €585 and well worth the money IMO.
    I know it's a petty thing but the knobs on modern ibanez jazz guitars really cheapen the feel. They ought to get rid of those plasticky grip things. Great guitars though.

Ibanez has the consistency to where if you were traveling and said have model x with y strings waiting you wouldn't have to wonder what you would get.

I didn't cross paths with any of Hammertone's Chinese Hofners but I have to wonder a bit about badge engineering. The Gretsch G2622 Streamliner and the Verithins have a very similar body as well as a couple makes using the model # AE 820.

I also played a few Jazzmasters and think Leo got it right. The big single coils get that "wummmph" warmer round attack like a semi versus the harder, tighter sound of a solid.

Some of the guitars I played were very expensive but in a semi if it plays good and has the resonance you want the electronics can be changed to anything. Bling costs more but wouldn't tilt a blindfold test. The resonance is affected by the centerblock material and shape as well as the size of the body cavity. It was great fun to play the different sizes and zero in on my preferences. One isn't more right than the other, it just comes down to what you like. If a boutique version makes you happy there is nothing wrong with having an instrument that can be appreciated as a art object. Just don't use it for busking!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb
    I know it's a petty thing but the knobs on modern ibanez jazz guitars really cheapen the feel. They ought to get rid of those plasticky grip things. Great guitars though.
    Well, the knobs are not a big deal to me - and if they were they are easy to replace. Overall, yes it is a pretty thing and that is a bonus, most important though it plays and sound really good.

User Info Menu

I have an Epi Es 335 Pro that is unbelievably well done. Plays like butter, sounds good stock and the quality of the fit and finish is amazing. All for $600 CDN. I compare it with my Eastman T-166mx (carved top) and frankly the Epi is miles ahead in terms of finish and set up. The Eastman sounds marginally better but I am certain that a set of 59s or Lollars would fix it. That said the Epi Pro-buckers sound too good to justify the expense (and risk) of replacing them. The Epi sounds better (i.e. sweeter) than my 1981 Ibanez Lee Ritenour.

I got the ice tea finish and swapped out the volume knobs and now it looks pretty much the same as the Larry Carleton Gibson 335:Gibson.com: Gibson Memphis Larry Carlton ES-335

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roberoo
    the Epi Pro-buckers sound too good to justify the expense (and risk) of replacing them
    Well... I don't quite agree with this. Look at what I did with the same p'ups you have:

Epi Probuckers: A close view, pt. 1

Epi Probuckers: A close view, pt. 2

Epi Probuckers: getting the job done pt. 1

The tonal outcome is worth every penny invested on the mod.

HTH,

User Info Menu

I have no doubt one can improve the tone but the improvement is likely to be marginal relative to the cost. This is a nice comparison:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    Well... I don't quite agree with this. Look at what I did with the same p'ups you have:

Epi Probuckers: A close view, pt. 1

Epi Probuckers: A close view, pt. 2

Epi Probuckers: getting the job done pt. 1

The tonal outcome is worth every penny invested on the mod.

HTH,
    You too are the victim of Photobucket's 3rd party hosting blocking. All your pictures are no longer visible in that thread....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    You too are the victim of Photobucket's 3rd party hosting blocking. All your pictures are no longer visible in that thread....
    Well... I've cancelled my account with Photobucket because of that.

It's going to take me a while to rebuild my threads, and TBH, I'm not even sure if I really want to. Too much time to spend that'll never get back.

User Info Menu

Well... I've cancelled my account with Photobucket because of that.

It's going to take me a while to rebuild my threads, and TBH, I'm not even sure if I really want to. Too much time to spend that'll never get back.
    I went to Imgur.... my pb account will remain unused, but I don't cancel it just yet. I want to occupy that server space, har! And who knows, they might chance their mind, now that everybody seems to run away from them.

User Info Menu

I went to Imgur.... my pb account will remain unused, but I don't cancel it just yet. I want to occupy that server space, har! And who knows, they might chance their mind, now that everybody seems to run away from them.
    Unfortunately Businessmen rarely if ever change their mind. Another example is Savefrom dot net was a great resource for saving youtube files. Now without having their plugin you can only download "low quality" vids which is OK with me. I much prefer them to the ginormous full screen monsters anyway, AND they save a ton of disk space. Unintended (beneficial) consequences :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalier
    I am amazed that the' Relicing' thing caught on as it has..lol.
    I'd much rather have their Tech install Series/Parallel switches etc. in the 30 minutes they use on beating up the Guitars...

My face is becoming Reliced now and Women liked me more when I was 30 ..surprisingly.

User Info Menu

Well... I've cancelled my account with Photobucket because of that. It's going to take me a while to rebuild my threads, and TBH, I'm not even sure if I really want to. Too much time to spend that'll never get back.
    Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Unfortunately Businessmen rarely if ever change their mind. Another example is Savefrom dot net was a great resource for saving youtube files. Now without having their plugin you can only download "low quality" vids which is OK with me. I much prefer them to the ginormous full screen monsters anyway, AND they save a ton of disk space. Unintended (beneficial) consequences :-)
    They are utter morons. They started by crapping all over their own site with layers and layers of ads. Coincidentally or as part of these changes, their site slowed down dramatically and became much more unstable. Then they changed their terms of service and screwed their customers. They can go &^%$ themselves. I went to Flickr and may go elsewhere as well - I've been busy and haven't really checked other options yet - this looks helpful, maybe:
    List of image-sharing websites - Wikipedia
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-15-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    I am amazed that the' Relicing' thing caught on as it has..lol.
    I'd much rather have their Tech install Series/Parallel switches etc. in the 30 minutes they use on beating up the Guitars...

My face is becoming Reliced now and Women liked me more when I was 30 ..surprisingly.
    It is pretty silly since the scars and corrosion have to be costing them more. They'd be better off loaning a fleet of AS73s to bands for a year. It's lucky they haven't thought of taking a grinder to the frets for that authentic vintage wear.

I'm really liking the AGS83B which is in excellent condition. I got it a pickguard from the Ibanez warehouse, I'm thinking dealers tended to order them without, leaving a stockpile. I noticed there are a few forum threads on this model from over the years.