The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

Hello guys, I have not posted anything for a long time, but I read the forum daily and I believe is a great forum
    I go straight to the point:I am thinking of making the decision to be again "one archtop men" (maybe two at last, but no more of two)
    To put this into practice,I was spend all afternoon alternating between my Guitars, using the same amp
    setup, the same strings in all guitars, and playing at gig volume for try to decide which one I will stay
    Well, after all this I am more confused than before, and I am doubting about my decision,so I want to ask:did you ever have that problem?
    I believe the theory of "one archtop men" is a personal issue, and of course, I really know it is something personal, and the list of the "I knows " is long, but I really would love to hear your thoughts about it!

(Guitars: Ibanez AG195 with Benedetto A6, Ibanez FG100 1986, Ibanez GB 10 2011, Ibanez PM20 also whit Benedetto A6 and Gibson ES165 1996, strings: Thomastik flat 012)
    Attached Images Attached Images One Archtop Man-20170628_183453-jpg 
    Last edited by Stbatz; 06-28-2017 at 08:08 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Welcome back.
    Gibson ES165, hands down.
    Joe D

Thanks Bro, and BTW terrific you 165 vid!

User Info Menu

Why do you think it's important to have only one archtop?

Some of us think it's important to have more.

User Info Menu

Can't do it. Not even going to entertain the thought.

User Info Menu

Are you looking to free up some $$$$ for something else?

User Info Menu

For me personally I try to not have 2 of the same type guitar( archtop,flatop, 335, tele,etc.) I find it better to have different voices for different gigs. Maybe keep the one laminate archtop you love and sell the rest and invest in a Johnny Smith, Classical, or flat top.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stbatz
    Thanks Bro, and BTW terrific you 165 vid!
    Thanks buddy. JD

Hi, in my case having several guitars distracts me from trying to extract all the potential to one in particular,
    Get rid of some guitars it's not for economic issue thanks to God, it's just limiting my expression tools to focus on music
    I do not see anything bad about having all the archtops you can, it's just that I decided to try a pair of guitars that works well for what I'm looking for
    And what puzzles me is that even the most humble guitar seems to have something to offer, for example, the PM20 is very good for "Question and Answers" type sounds, and is a guitar that I bought for little money and only spend in the A6, On the other hand, it would seem that the key is the volume gig level, at low volume and in "soft" amp like Polytone Aer or Acoustic Image the differences between them seem minimal, at gig levels the differences become more evident, in IMHO
    Last edited by Stbatz; 06-29-2017 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    For me personally I try to not have 2 of the same type guitar( archtop,flatop, 335, tele,etc.) I find it better to have different voices for different gigs. Maybe keep the one laminate archtop you love and sell the rest and invest in a Johnny Smith, Classical, or flat top.
    It's not a bad idea...especially about GJS, I have a very good classic guitar, Godin SA and also Tele and Strato, but these days I'm playing more gigs in which need archtop sound
    Last edited by Stbatz; 06-28-2017 at 11:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Put them all up for sale and keep the last one or two, let the buying public make your choice for you.

User Info Menu

This is a non-argument.

If you really think that having several similar instruments somehow is hindring you to make music, then certainly the guitars are NOT to blame.
    Last edited by LtKojak; 06-29-2017 at 01:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Should an artist have only one brush?

User Info Menu

Think about the music instead of the guitars. Do any of these make you play differently/better? What attracts you to a particular instrument? Is there a musical reason to sell them, maybe getting another guitar to play different stuff? Do you find it confusing or helpful for your musical voice to change instruments?

User Info Menu

If one Archtop is providing you with the tone and feel you are looking for, it is perfectly possible to be a OAM; I am since July 2015...
    For some guys, GAS will be as much enjoyable (sometimes more) as the playing itself, leaving them with a sense of emptiness when there is no longer anything on their list to chase; I mean some are selling and buying back the same model over and over...
    Do whatever makes you feel good as long as you can afford it

Interesting points of view here, I agree with some, with others not really, I particularly try to express my opinions with respect and not pretending to teach anyone how to live
    But hey, the world would be a very boring place if we all thought the same
    Thank you very much for your opinions

Agree Vinlander

User Info Menu

Put 3 of them in their cases and shove them in a closet, in the attic, or anywhere else that's out of sight. Make sure the humidity/climate are not a problem, of course. Then play just one of them. In a month or two, see if you feel like swapping. Best of both worlds.

User Info Menu

I'd keep the Gibson and your favorite Ibanez

Maybe i do

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Put 3 of them in their cases and shove them in a closet, in the attic, or anywhere else that's out of sight. Make sure the humidity/climate are not a problem, of course. Then play just one of them. In a month or two, see if you feel like swapping. Best of both worlds.

RP, love your avatar, I miss mine. Are those ivory buttons, or is it just the lighting?

User Info Menu

Your the only one who could anwer that question

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stbatz
    Interesting points of view here, I agree with some, with others not really
    Wasn't that the point of your post?

User Info Menu

One can play jazz guitar and own zero archtops.

User Info Menu

I'll jump into this silly thread. I'm down to two, an electric (ES300) and an acoustic (L7). I would not want to be without both. The only way to get by with one would be to put electronics on the L7, but it sounds better acoustically without that stuff on it, and there are no electronics that will make it sound as good as the ES300 plugged in. But yeah, if I had the OP's guitars, I would thin the herd.