The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

George Benson's Secret Weapon-img_2371-jpgGeorge Benson's Secret Weapon-img_2377-jpg
    Some of you know that I won an online auction and now am the curator of George Benson's 1998 Mortoro Starling (II Storno). I was wondering about this razor bump treatment jar i found in the case pocket. I presume that George probably did not use this guitar for performances very often, and thus would not be concerned about shaving irritations visible on his head or neck. That leads me to believe that the reason this was with the guitar is this is his secret weapon for speed and articulation. I haven't had time to try it yet. I am trying to decide if it is applied to the fretboard as a conditioner or if he rubbed it on his fingers to reduce friction. The salve has a waxy consistency and I think I just might be on to something even if it doesn't quite match my skin tones.

Does anyone else use a special fretboard conditioner or some kind of hand treatment? My teacher once told me he occasionally has used WD40 on his hands if they feel like they could use something. But I don't care for the smell. The razor bump treatment doesn't smell too bad, though, just a little medicinal. Not sure I want to experiment on the Mortoro, though. Maybe I should borrow someone else's guitar or drop by Sam Ash.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

George needed the double strength guess its from all that great playing.

User Info Menu

So if George is a right handed player, I would expect him to pick up the jar with his right hand. That means he discovered the secret weapon by accident when he had residue of it on his left hand one day. It is sort of a Spiderman story/theory, but you have to agree George Benson could be a great Hollywood action hero, keeping bad music at bay with his incredible chops.

User Info Menu

Hmm, interesting.... but how can we know for sure that he used it on his hands or even on his guitar? And, can you be sure no one else put it there?
    I'm gonna get me a can o' that whoop ass so I can sound just like George!

User Info Menu

I believe the stuff in the jar has no relationship to the guitar. It is a personal grooming product for folliculitis from shaving, a condition which affects primarily African-American males. This might be akin to throwing your toothbrush in the case so you can brush your teeth before the gig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EGad
    This might be akin to throwing your toothbrush in the case so you can brush your teeth before the gig.

Don't use the toothbrush in my guitar case it's been cleaning fret gunk for years as well as bridges and nuts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Don't use the toothbrush in my guitar case it's been cleaning fret gunk for years as well as bridges and nuts.
    Saw that one coming. Hahaha

User Info Menu

I use flax seed oil on the fret board before putting on fresh strings, but nothing on my fingers. I was sitting in on a gig once and the lady playing bass, asked me to play her bass while she played guitar and sang on a tune. Little did I know she always sprayed a LARGE amount of "finger ease" on the neck during set up, plus she used that pink stuff some people use when they are rapidly going through paper files. It's a good thing that bass wasn't one of those Steinberger "headless" bass's, the head stock was the only thing that kept my left hand from sliding off the neck!
    Last edited by Donnie; 06-28-2017 at 05:03 PM.

User Info Menu

+1 Egad

If you looked in Johnny Smith's case pocket you'd have found a small revolver. He never used it as a slide. It was to get to the parking lot and his car in rougher venues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie
    I use flax seed oil on the fret board before putting on fresh strings, but nothing on my fingers.
    yeah flax seed oil is linseed...fine arts supplies!.. any food grade flax will nourish the fretboard, and if used sparingly and allowed to dry thoroughly will leave no sticky residue...

the other good food grade polymerizing oil is- walnut....

with time they form a protective coating on top of the wood rather than just being soaked in

what the old master violin makers (and painters!) used..they had no synthetics

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    +1 Egad

If you looked in Johnny Smith's case pocket you'd have found a small revolver. He never used it as a slide. It was to get to the parking lot and his car in rougher venues.

hah..exactly..johnny s had a nice guy "smooth" guitar style image, but he was "wisened"..wwII vet, pilot, club playin musician in nyc, business owner, designer, lost his wife early on, hard drinkin, hung with django, les paul..etc etc

what made him great

cheers

User Info Menu

I believe the stuff in the jar has no relationship to the guitar. It is a personal grooming product for folliculitis from shaving, a condition which affects primarily African-American males.
    "Occam's Razor" at work there.

Pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    In which JS says, "I got yer Occam's Razor right over here."

Just picture how that would work for me. There I am, surrounded by hoodlums, calmly placing my case on the dusty lot, unfastening the six Gibson case-latches, lifting the guitar, opening the pocket and brangin' the heat.

Something's wrong with that picture. I just can't put my finger on what . . .

User Info Menu

Don't use the toothbrush in my guitar case ....
    I've been using an electric toothbrush, but might be looking for an acoustic !
    <insert toothy grin here>
    John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    I was wondering about this razor bump treatment jar i found in the case pocket. I presume that George probably did not use this guitar for performances very often, and thus would not be concerned about shaving irritations visible on his head or neck. That leads me to believe that the reason this was with the guitar is this is his secret weapon for speed and articulation
    Fervid imagination, haven't we...?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by john_a
    I've been using an electric toothbrush, but might be looking for an acoustic !
    <insert toothy grin here>
    John
    Very funny! Acoustic Toothbrush - sounds like a band from the 60s. Hahaha

User Info Menu

If you've been cleaning your nuts with it, I definitely won't put it anywhere near my mouth. Don't fret...

Re' Benson, he is such a cool guy, and very colorful in his interviews. He was talking about giving a clinic in South Africa, and some local guitarist was showing off and cleaning Benson's clock so to speak, so George laughed and said, "I had to break out my special sauce and show him who was boss."

That's it. You got George's special sauce.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    If you've been cleaning your nuts with it, I definitely won't put it anywhere near my mouth.
    I'm glad someone finally went there. I didn't do it because I thought I should preserve the dignity of the forum but now that this door has been opened, I feel a new sense of freedom. Hahaha

User Info Menu

I believe the stuff in the jar has no relationship to the guitar. It is a personal grooming product for folliculitis from shaving, a condition which affects primarily African-American males. This might be akin to throwing your toothbrush in the case so you can brush your teeth before the gig.

Yeah, I've read something about black guys having more skin issues from shaving. I have noticed in stores that next to the hair care products for African Americans there will be several shaving products for "bumps, ingrown hairs" etc. I would use it, just not on my guitar.

User Info Menu

seems an odd thing to carry around in a guitar case, unless it had a practical application, and not just there to prevent bumps and burn. i doubt he'd want it on his hands just before, during or after playing and it seems unlikely he was touching up his face in between songs. maybe it made the pick easier to hold on to?