The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

It's my 1st time see/hear this boutique guitar
    sound pretty good.

Like Paul Reed Smith bringing the Strat and Les Paul into a single guitar,
    This is a literal fusion between Tele & Les Paul.

enjoy

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Those Gustavssons are really expensive though....

If youre looking for boutique, Ian Anderson builds basically the same guitar for 1/3rd of the price and they often pop up second hand too

Is this a Tele or is it a Les Paul?-img_2803-jpg
    Last edited by fws6; 06-28-2017 at 04:21 AM.

User Info Menu

And then there are all kinds of factory models, Ibanez did one in the 80s and there was also the Hamer Talladega

Is this a Tele or is it a Les Paul?-img_2802-jpgIs this a Tele or is it a Les Paul?-img_2801-jpg

User Info Menu

Seems to be a lot more Les Paul than Tele.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

These all look incredible. It's a shame you can't walk into your local dealer here in Australia and play one.

User Info Menu

Those are about as "tele" as a...les paul.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Those are about as "tele" as a...les paul.
    Well, I'd say that as a general statement, they split the difference.... that is, if they have the tele 25-1/2" scale. Personally, I don't think there's a huge difference in a tele slab or a LP carved/capped body. The 2 biggest differences (tonally) between a tele and a Les Paul are the pickups and the scale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by r_cc_c
    It's my 1st time see/hear this boutique guitar
    sound pretty good.

Like Paul Reed Smith bringing the Strat and Les Paul into a single guitar,
    This is a literal fusion between Tele & Les Paul.

enjoy

Darn near the perfect guitar. Wish I could afford one. They should call them Mustavssons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Well, I'd say that as a general statement, they split the difference.... that is, if they have the tele 25-1/2" scale. Personally, I don't think there's a huge difference in a tele slab or a LP carved/capped body. The 2 biggest differences (tonally) between a tele and a Les Paul are the pickups and the scale.
    There's a lot more to it than that -- e.g., the way the strings are coupled to the body, pick-up/bridge interaction on teles, the way the pickups attach to the body, angle of the bridge pickup, pick-up position, differences in body mass and resonance. Mahogany/maple + tune-o-matic/stop + PAF style humbuckers shades way more toward the LP end of the spectrum than tele. IMO&E, scale length has a much subtler effect on tone than those other factors.

John

User Info Menu

I've played a few of them and have friends who have both owned them and at one time our guitars were being sold by the same dealer. The Bluesmaster is VERY much a Les Paul. In terms of both feel and sound, it was originally marketed to those who wanted a true vintage LP experience from a guitar with different aesthetics. They are lovely guitars, well crafted and well finished. They deliver exactly as promised (albeit at a very high price). And the only thing Tele-like about them is the shape around the neck joint. All of the other specs are LP.

As for the other builder mentioned, I would strongly recommend doing some thorough due diligence before considering it. I am loath to speak ill of any other builder, especially one that I know but in some cases the hue and cry is ignored only at your own risk.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 06-28-2017 at 11:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Is this a Tele or is it a Les Paul?-nittono_modelt_jazz_semih_09_body-jpg

For archtop guitarists, this maker's works are a whole lot more relevant Toru Nittono Guitars . (Courtesy of Hammertone.)

User Info Menu

Sounds like an electric guitar

User Info Menu

Doesn't have the Tele Twang.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Doesn't have the Tele Twang.
    Not at all. Johan has built some models that do but the Bluesmaster was never intended to have any of that sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Is this a Tele or is it a Les Paul?-nittono_modelt_jazz_semih_09_body-jpg

For archtop guitarists, this maker's works are a whole lot more relevant Toru Nittono Guitars . (Courtesy of Hammertone.)
    One of the great benefits of having been in the business for all those years is that I got to play a lot of other builders guitars, including these. They definitely had some things going for them but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the value of a Bluesmaster for playing jazz. Here's a photo of me playing one of Johan's guitars at the NAMM show several years ago. It was Pelham Blue and just beautiful. I was playing Rainy Day and it sounded and played just great.

Is this a Tele or is it a Les Paul?-jswithgustavsson-jpg
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 06-28-2017 at 01:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    There's a lot more to it than that -- e.g., the way the strings are coupled to the body, pick-up/bridge interaction on teles, the way the pickups attach to the body, angle of the bridge pickup, pick-up position, differences in body mass and resonance. Mahogany/maple + tune-o-matic/stop + PAF style humbuckers shades way more toward the LP end of the spectrum than tele. IMO&E, scale length has a much subtler effect on tone than those other factors.

John

I didn't say that's "ALL" there was to it, I said those (pickups, scale) were the "2 biggest" factors. We disagree on scale length & tonality. Pickups are EASILY the biggest factor.

User Info Menu

My experience has told me that pickups have, overall, little impact. To my ear, and what I've had on my bench, bridge coupling/material/design has the largest effect on tone, followed by the neck (material/rigidity/lack of resonance).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    My experience has told me that pickups have, overall, little impact. To my ear, and what I've had on my bench, bridge coupling/material/design has the largest effect on tone, followed by the neck (material/rigidity/lack of resonance).

So you're saying a mahogany telecaster with a maple cap, neck-thru, and a Stop tailpiece, with tele single coil pickups.... will sound alot like a Les Paul?

Right.

Funny how there are no absolutes with tone, and everyone hears things differently.

User Info Menu

So you're saying a mahogany telecaster with a maple cap, neck-thru, and a Stop tailpiece, with tele single coil pickups.... will sound alot like a Les Paul?

Right.

Funny how there are no absolutes with tone, and everyone hears things differently.
    That's exactly what I'm saying. A tele with humbuckers doesn't sound like a Les Paul. It still sounds like a
    telecaster, if it has a Tele style bridge (saddles floating on a piece of steel, screwed to the guitar) A Rickenbacker with humbuckers still sounds like a Rickenbacker......but put a tune-o-matic on it, and it suddenly doesn't sound very Rickenbacker'y anymore. That's been my experience. Would changing the pickups on a Les Paul to Tele pickups change the tone? Sure. But it will still sound like a Les Paul.

User Info Menu

A Les Paul doesn't sound like a Les Paul. Different pickups and strings makes it different animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    That's exactly what I'm saying. A tele with humbuckers doesn't sound like a Les Paul. It still sounds like a
    telecaster, if it has a Tele style bridge (saddles floating on a piece of steel, screwed to the guitar) A Rickenbacker with humbuckers still sounds like a Rickenbacker......but put a tune-o-matic on it, and it suddenly doesn't sound very Rickenbacker'y anymore. That's been my experience. Would changing the pickups on a Les Paul to Tele pickups change the tone? Sure. But it will still sound like a Les Paul.

I would love to see an A/B before/after demo/comparison of this....

Suffice it to say, I disagree... based on "my experience". But as I said before, it's amazing how differently we all hear things...

User Info Menu

I'm thinking the bolt-neck and the bridge layout also play a part.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Runepune
    A Les Paul doesn't sound like a Les Paul. Different pickups and strings makes it different animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Right. A LP with P90s sounds nothing like an LP with humbuckers.

A Strat with a humbucker sounds nothing like any LP.

The guitar in the video sounded LP-like to me.

OTOH, I had assumed that the solo on Stairway To Heaven was a LP until I heard it was a Tele.

And, from the sound, I don't think I could have guessed what guitar Ted Greene played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    I'm thinking the bolt-neck and the bridge layout also play a part.
    EVERYTHING plays a part; I never said those two things are the ONLY two things....