The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Heritage Auctions has another decent array of stuff listed for Sunday. Among all the outfits (Sonny's cave man outfit from their act and tv show), Janis Joplin stuff and countless Doobie Brothers RIAA and in house awards and countless other cool stuff is a real gem.

A 1962 P Bass owned by James Jameson... Being I spent my teens and early 20s in Chicago I was inundated with great soul stations here in Chicago back then. James Jamerson was in Barry Gordy's in house band that backed up every damn hit that Motown and Tamla put out. The bass line from "My Girl", that's James Jamerson... So all you wanna be bass players with heavy roots in soul music, here's your opportunity to own one of Jamersons bass guitars.

Ya know if I hadn't sworn off buying I'd chase this thing... That's a heavy duty guitar right there. Do enjoy...

James Jamerson Owned and Played 1961 Fender Precision Bass, | Lot #89623 | Heritage Auctions

Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 06-17-2017 at 03:07 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's gonna bring a chunk of ching.

User Info Menu

It's great, but it's not the 'funk machine' P-bass that he played on all those hits. That bass has been missing for decades.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    It's great, but it's not the 'funk machine' P-bass that he played on all those hits. That bass has been missing for decades.

And I think there is also there was another black Precision that Jamerson used a lot that disappeared. If this bass is real it better have a letter of James Jamerson Jr saying so, he's been authenticating basses that claim to be original Funk Machine and the black Precision for years. I believe at one point James Jr said one bass appeared to have parts from the Funk Machine and he had it.

Like the Jaco Bass of Doom I don't think the original is around anymore, maybe parts not the whole thing.

User Info Menu

I posted this a few years ago. It's not Jamerson's Funk Machine, but it was its next door neighbor in the snakepit.

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed
    Last edited by unknownguitarplayer; 06-17-2017 at 05:30 PM.

User Info Menu

The Bass of Doom was recovered a decade ago and restored, to it's 1986 condition, which was after it was rebuilt due to Jaco having smashed it to pieces; it ended up with a new top and back veneered to the body and headstock. He had it a very brief time before it was stolen and disappeared for 20 years.

User Info Menu

Don't know about the Funk Machine (except I love the Precision basses...) but weren't James and the rest of the Motown band local jazz musicians? I think that it was said in the movie Standing In The Shadows Of Motown.

User Info Menu

Nowhere here or in the ad is it claimed to be the legendary Funk Machine, if you look at all the photos in the ad there is a letter from the seller explaining it's pedigree (if you will).

I was having another look at what is available (as I am in on one item today) and there's some great stuff. If you're an OG like me and saw all the great music and talent in the 60s it's really good. A lot of Janis Joplin stuff, Hendrix stuff, just a lot of great awards, posters, photos, clothes owned and worn by the artists, all kinds of stuff... Some Aretha awards... (no Mikey, NO !!!).
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 06-18-2017 at 10:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Just about every great bassist who ever lived, thought of James Jameson a bit of a God. Just like Wrecking crew, The musicians in the Funk Brothers were paid handsomely for their aninimity. These musicians had as much a hand in writing the songs they performed as the people who wrote the lyrics.
    James Jamerson. Yet another musical genius taken from us way too soon. It makes me sad. I was lucky enough to spend a couple of days and nights with Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin. Just being around these guys you felt how different they were than other humans. Brilliance. I wish they took better care of themselves so they could still be around.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Thanks Big Mike for bringing the memory of the great James Jamerson (Igor, The Hook) to the Forum.

I always thought of him as the shooter who has only one gun but knows how to use it very well. He didn't need many different basses, because the man had a sound in his mind, very specific and essential. So one P bass and an upright were enough for him. Besides, he used to the utmost the -very limited- studio resources available to him to sculpt his recorded fat, round tone. At least, that is the story told in "Standing in the Shadows of Motown." According to that account, The Funk Brothers recorded in a tiny room (the Snakepit) , so due to the limited space available Jamerson and the guitarists rarely recorded through amplifiers but directly into the recording console. Apparently there was an interface panel they could plug into and set the "mush" they wanted into their sound, so Jamerson adjusted his volume slightly hotter than aceptable levels on the Vu meter, overdriving the tubes in the recording console to round out his sound. He also was recorded in a separate channel of the 8 track recorder, so the engineers could then make the best use of his contribution.

Also according to SITSOM he had first a 57 PB refinished in black (the Black Beauty), stolen from him, as was its replacement, a sunburst PB. Then he purchased the Funk Machine, with which he made most of his career, also stolen a few weeks before his passing. It was a stock 62 PB in sunburst. with the bell, centerpiece and foam mute. In the heel of the neck JJ carved the word "funk" and filled it with ink. A lot of relief in the neck, high string height, mute always pressed against the strings, heavy gauge La Bella roundwounds usually several years old in the instrument and changed only when broken, were the salient features of that legendary bass. He also played experimentally a Hagstrom 8 string, an early Fender 5 string bass and a fretless, but apparently he was not satisfied with the results. The story is told that he played the fretless in the Supremes' "Someday We'll Be Together" and almost threw it against the wall at the end of the session screaming "don't you ever let me play this piece of shit again."

I guess if alive today any American P Bass with high stiff action and la Bella Deep Talking flatwounds or similar would still serve him well. Also to his followers.

So many masterpieces he recorded. Among my preferred: What's Going On, Darling Dear, For Once In My Life...

User Info Menu

The Hook playing the Funk Machine:

User Info Menu

Here's a graphic score of Jamerson's bassline on 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough'. The audio is mixed from the original multitrack, with the bass just how I like it - high in the mix!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Well, I bought it about a dozen years ago at a yard sale in Dearborn MI from the next door neighbor of Jamerson's sister-in-law's nephew's girlfriend . Let's try to keep it somewhat of a secret.

User Info Menu

Well I won my item, no counter bids this time. George Benson/Earl Klugh Collaboration Gold Award.
    I had the platinum version many years ago but gave it to my friend Gitfiddler who I know cherishes it.

User Info Menu

James Jamerson's P Bass...-19225614_10154805553452239_6242530358673125860_n-1-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    That's gonna bring a chunk of ching.

$68,750.00 including the Buyer's Premium

Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 06-18-2017 at 06:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Well I won my item, no counter bids this time. George Benson/Earl Klugh Collaboration Gold Award.
    I had the platinum version many years ago but gave it to my friend Gitfiddler who I know cherishes it.
    Hey Big~
    Yes, you did give me a GB "Collaboration" RIAA award (which I DO cherish...and thank you each time I see it), but it too was a Gold (500k sales) award, not Platinum (1M sales). The original recipient of mine was Macey Lipman Marketing, a sales affiliate associated with "Collaboration" marketing/distribution.

Hopefully the RIAA Gold award you won at auction was actually Mr. Benson's award.

Back when record companies were making mega bucks on recording projects, almost every VIP affiliated with the production, distribution as well as performing on certified Gold or Platinum records received a framed award.

As the music industry tightened their greedy belts, fewer and fewer performers and 'non-VIP affiliates' received these relatively expensive give-aways. As an example, my lovely wife sang, recorded and toured professionally for many years back in the day, and received only 1 of her 3 well-deserved RIAA Platinum and Double Platinum awards. (She was a background singer with a little known blind dude named Stevie.)

Back on topic, I hope that the estates of James Jamerson (Sr. and Jr.) received the a piece of that incredible piece of history's auction sale price.
    Last edited by Gitfiddler; 06-18-2017 at 07:01 PM.

User Info Menu

James was a beautiful beautiful musician

I want you back , kills me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Just being around these guys you felt how different they were than other humans. Brilliance. I wish they took better care of themselves so they could still be around.
    Joe D

There are still a few left (photo taken yesterday).

James Jamerson's P Bass...-joe-june-2017-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gcb
    The Hook playing the Funk Machine:

I tuned in for JJ sweet bassline, but something else happened.
    I got all caught-up in the Marvin... Damn, that guy could sing
    What a band they got in Heaven!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by unknownguitarplayer
    There are still a few left (photo taken yesterday).

James Jamerson's P Bass...-joe-june-2017-jpg
    gods bless joe messina...unheralded giant

cheers