The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

Hey everybody,

I recently was enquiring here on the boards about a semi-budget guitar that would suit my needs. I was looking for a guitar which would give me a wider palette of available sounds, as the project where I currently play is modern progressive rock with fusion jazz influences. My tone goes from very pristine clean, almost clean, high gain (think almost metal) and highly effected signal on our material. Also I'd like it to have a believable jazz tone for my jazz guitar practice and studies.

Recently I've narrowed my decision between two guitars: PRS Custom 24 from 1989 and a new Gibson ES-339. Which one would you guys think would suit this purpose more? Feel free also to recommend something new.

Joonasamuel

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In my opinion, I recommend the '89 PRS Cu24 without hesitation. Having played several of these from '89-'90, they seem far more suited to what you are talking about than a Gibson semi-hollow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    In my opinion, I recommend the '89 PRS Cu24 without hesitation. Having played several of these from '89-'90, they seem far more suited to what you are talking about than a Gibson semi-hollow.
    Ditto: Go with the PRS

User Info Menu

I would go with a HSH PU-configuration for this palette of required sounds.
    Hard to give suggestions without a price range. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Fender telecaster with hot rails in the bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Telecaster.

User Info Menu

Bought an ibanez as153 a few days ago.. Just incredible. Of course with the tone switch you can't get a pure single coil sound.. But put 011 on it and it will fly ahaha

User Info Menu

Tele is worth looking into.

User Info Menu

24 fret necks bump the neck pup back toward the bridge a bit, so they don't quite nail a classic jazz tone. if that's an issue for you, the 339 is a better choice than the PRS 24.

John

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I have a PRS Custom 24 from 1986. It was my main gigging guitar in a wide variety of bands/genres from the day I got it until I retired from gigging a couple of years back. The sole exception was for mainstream jazz jams/gigs because I have an ES-175 (I did, however, get a lot of complements on the tone of the PRS from real jazz people when I did take it. Also with the 175 ). The PRS had taken the place of my mid-60's ES-345 which with its stereo VariTone and Patent Sticker pickups is a tone monster in itself. I have no experience with the 339, but I am sure it would be fine. BTW, I used only a two channel clean/unclean set up with just a lil' reverb for a panoply of tones. With the PRS 5-position switch and sweet switch, you have 10 distinct tone profiles to work with.

Or, you could just get a Tele.

Me, I would take both.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTT
    I would go with a HSH PU-configuration for this palette of required sounds.
    Hard to give suggestions without a price range. Good luck!
    Hey! My budget is around 2000-2500€ (2200-2800USD).

User Info Menu

Telecaster for sure. I would go for a full sized semi instead of the 339 though. I highly recommend an Ibanez Artist 2630 - mine is a '77 and it is the most versatile semi I have ever owned. It is also modded with a phase switch and cool taps but just the stock tri sound switch is good too. It is better than any 335 I have ever played except for a few really old ones. There are a few on Reverb right now. But yeah, a Tele is also extremely versatile. A different sound than a semi but very good at everything, particularly with a Humbucker in the neck. You also might want to check out the Pat Martino Gibsons. Despite his tone they are actually pretty bright and versatile. I have tried a few 339's and none of them were good so I am biased, but regardless of the build quality, the tone is not the same as a 335 style guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Weren't those pointy headstock Ibanez RG series engineered for that kind of music?

Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 06-17-2017 at 02:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Weren't those pointy headstock Ibanez RG series engineered for that kind of music?

Close, iirc it was the S series rg ime was more embraced by the straight rock, less fusion crowd. Still pointy!

I have to admit I own a custom made guitar PRS style, HHH with a lo-pro edge trem because I used to play something very similar in the 90s. I still stand by the tele recommendation though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blille; 06-17-2017 at 02:45 AM.

User Info Menu

If you can tolerate a heavy instrument I can suggest the Ibanez AR2619 Prestige (made in Japan)
    I've had mine for a year or so and am awed by the massive tonal range from the two trisound pickups (series, parallel and single coil)

Electric Guitar AR - AR2619 Prestige | Ibanez guitars

Add a quality equaliser (I use an MXR 6 band) and a competent compressor and there are few sounds that are "out of reach"

If only it weighed a few pounds less.....

User Info Menu

Almost any solidbody guitar could fill your project needs, so go with whatever you fancy playing. I wouldn't call 2000-2500 euros semi-budget territory for solidbodies though

User Info Menu

If I would be in the market for a solid body swiss knife which I am not since I build my Tele Parts Caster, I would get a Godin Freeway. I dig the 25.5 scale for clean Jazz tone

Godin Guitars
    Last edited by vinlander; 06-17-2017 at 10:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Parker Fly Deluxe. Will do everything you need and then some. I gigged extensively with one when they first came out in the 90's doing everything, all types of music. Ran it in stereo-piezo bridge to a SS "clean only" amp (Evans), mag side to a Rivera M-60.
    One thing I came to love about it was the light weight. I could get through 3-4 hours and feel refreshed at the end of the show. Pat Martino was a endorser for a while.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions! Looking into the elite models of fender teles. What about Ibanez Prestiga AM 205? Would it suit my purpose?

User Info Menu

Telecaster.

Out of all the instruments I've owned in my life, teles, strats, Les Pauls/PRS, full hollowbodies... only thing I haven't owned is a centerblock guitar like a 335 (which I routinely hear described as a "does it all" guitar), my standard tele EASILY out-"swiss army knife"s them all. Everything from T-Bone Walker to the Foo Fighters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joonasamuel
    Thanks everybody for your suggestions! Looking into the elite models of fender teles. What about Ibanez Prestiga AM 205? Would it suit my purpose?
    If you are looking for a wide tonal range the AM205 Prestige does not have the trisound pickups of the AR2619 Prestige , although the super 58s will come close to a PAF sound if that is what you are looking for..... Nor will it have the extreme sustain capability of the Gibraltar bridge system found on the 2619

It's a great guitar but strictly in the 335 mould - so to me it won't be a "swiss army knife" unless you use pedals to sculpt your sound (esentially a compressor, an overdrive to make up for the "medium" output level of the super 58s, and a 6+ band eq)

As always, test drive before you buy to see if it floats your boat

User Info Menu

I really like my Eastman T486 and it might serve all the functions you listed. Being a semi-hollow, you could use it with high gain. Yet, you can also dial in a really nice jazz tone. They are modestly priced and very well made.

User Info Menu

I use to think if I could only have one guitar it would be an dreadnought acoustic. I recently got a Fender Squire CV 50's Telecaster and now my opinion has changed. If I could only have one guitar it would be a a Telecaster, I can get a good jazz tone and everything else. I even sometimes roll back the volume and tone controls a bit and play it as though it was a dreadnought acoustic.

User Info Menu

Enough said

User Info Menu

Have you tried a Gibson Midtown? I had both a Custom which I loved and a Standard which doesn't come with a pickguard.
    its a nice budget, but high end Swiss Army knife guitar for sure. Here is a Standard.