The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

No experience with the PRS but I do have with the G ES339
    And sure it will fit he bill
    (much more than a Tele, in my opinion :-) )
    No, I'm not kidding !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I googled for an image of "swiss army knife guitar" and a pic of Tommy Tedesco's tele was the search result.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I googled for an image of "swiss army knife guitar" and a pic of Tommy Tedesco's tele was the search result.

hah!! that's actually more accurate than it would seem!!!

i was an avid tommy tedesco column reader in the vintage guitar player magazines...(used to have a copy of gp inside my open school textbook in high school class!! hah)...tommy would do whatever was needed to make a session...an A list contractor/arranger would call for a bouzouki, mando, etc etc...tommy would break out one of his guitars and with a bit of retuning, go for it...and that's exactly what you hear on 100's of classic recordings!!

tommy tedesco!! great great player...super clever...from his early roots in 50's jazz (he's in peter gunn tv episodes playing completely straight west coast jazz) to his later "anything & everything goes" session work

tt - pinstriped center...(howard roberts stage right)

"Swiss army knife" guitar-roberts-tedesco-pohlman-ritz-jpg

a master

cheers

User Info Menu

^^^^ TT is THE studio cat. Loved his columns inGP. I had a stack of 'em three feet high. I gave them to a young up & comer who wanted to know how I did it. I told him it was all in there.

Thank you everybody for your suggestions! I decided to go with a Tele. I managed to find a mint condition Fender Select Telecaster for a bargain and I have to say I'm very happy with my purchase.
    "Swiss army knife" guitar-img_20170718_134009-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joonasamuel
    Thank you everybody for your suggestions! I decided to go with a Tele. I managed to find a mint condition Fender Select Telecaster for a bargain and I have to say I'm very happy with my purchase.
    YES!!!!

Congrats! You won't be sorry.

I have to say it's been one of the few cases where I've seen the OP start with an idea but actually be open to feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

+1 You won't be disappointed.

I've owned just about everything through the years. The Stratocaster and the Les Paul are not the Swiss Army knives of the guitar world, although they are exceptional guitars. (Don't own my Les Paul anymore, but I do still have a Strat.)

The ES-335 comes _close_ to being a perfect all-rounder. I had one for years and years and would have sworn, at one point, that it could do it all.

Here's the deal: I have owned a Telecaster since 1974 with about a 12-month period without one in the intervening years. When I was "without" I realized exactly how much the Telecaster was THE guitar for everything. There really isn't any other guitar that you can take to ANY gig the way you can with a Telecaster. It truly is the SAK of guitars.

User Info Menu

Congrats for the gorgeous axe!

I find it exciting and maybe a bit amusing that the first mass produced electric guitar is still one of the best all around axes. The ES175 and Les Paul are too great all rounders still. In the year 1958 they had invented everything that a guitarist needs.

Oh sorry, of course not – Polytone amps came a decade or two later!

User Info Menu

Jeepers! Dude, that is AWESOME.

User Info Menu

The other Swiss Army Knife approach to guitars:

Jerry Garcia's "TIGER GUITAR" by Doug Irwin

Of course, it weighs 14 lbs and the last time it was sold the price tag was just about $1,000,000....

User Info Menu

Or this

Still a tele though

User Info Menu

Ha! The Tele with the lazy susan takes the old Ampeg Dan Armstrong idea to the next level. (The Dan Armstrong had plug in pickup modules.)

Honestly, though, do you really hear the differences between the different Seymour Duncans? (I ask because I have had the TB-59 and the TB-4 in a 335 and couldn't tell the difference. They were both great pickups, but they both sounded like good Gibson humbuckers, to me.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Honestly, though, do you really hear the differences between the different Seymour Duncans? (I ask because I have had the TB-59 and the TB-4 in a 335 and couldn't tell the difference. They were both great pickups, but they both sounded like good Gibson humbuckers, to me.)
    Of course I do. After I spend money on gear my brain finds a way to justify it.

One trick that may help you with pickup changes is doing them when your strings are dirty. Then any pickup will at least have more clarity!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    Or this

Still a tele though

Amazing, but I fear it to be "neck light" !