The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I had the pleasure of meeting Kelly77 today to buy his 175, which was Max405's before that. I am psyched. On the way back I stopped at Guitar Center to get a looper and was pleased and surprised to find a nice little half size guitar for my daughter, a Córdoba Mini. First off, the 175.

This guitar is a heck of a player. The neck is so good. I have wanted a 175 for a long time and have ended up getting some other really nice guitars that are close to my heart but still had that mystical 175 calling to me and this is a good one. The thunk that everyone talks about is immediately noticeable. And the red finish is so cool - it is hard to capture exactly what it looks like in photos because it is deep and dark but when the light catches it, it is vibrant. I don't have a lot of 175 experiences - at least not with the real thing - but the sound is iconic and also seems to be able to be sculpted into something personal which I really like. It has flats on it right now but I think I am going to put Bebops on it...the thunk is cool but the older school sound is not exactly what I am shooting for these days. Verdict is still out on that. I figure I can be careful and set aside the strings to put back on if I need to. Here she is. Her name is now Red by the way, which is not very creative but I don't really name my guitars and this one seems like she needs a name.

And here she is with some closely related family. I was hoping to do this tonight but I got too late - I am going to record the D'Agostino lawsuit, PM100 and 175 in a video to compare the sound between them. I'll make sure to record this guitar with the flats on too and then the rounds if I do switch. If not tomorrow then over the weekend I'll get this done - it's going to be fun. The Mini is also here on the right.

Next up, the Córdoba Mini. It is a half size guitar but the nut and neck width are standard, which is cool. The neck is really comfortable surprisingly and this would make a great travel guitar. It sounds really good for its size - it has a solid spruce top. The strings are dead so I am going to change them before giving it to my daughter. It will be a Father's Day present because if she gets into guitar that will be a gift to me.

It is really interesting hearing the difference between the PM100 and the 175. Similar guitars but with some notable tonal differences. I'll leave that for the video though.

A big thank you to Kelly for accommodating this and to Joe for getting the guitar in the first place and deciding to sell it! It is going to get played a lot.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    Congrats!

What a nice family pic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Congrats. A good 175 is all a jazz guitarist needs.

User Info Menu

Congratulations! There's enough in that room to cover any jazz guitar needs!

User Info Menu

Ahhh... My old girl looks very happy. Those strings are probably 3-4 months old by now. I played that guitar ALOT. On that guitar, I knew I needed a string change when the F note (d string, 3rd fret) sounded funky.
    Your new guitar is an extraordinary player. Its in great shape too. I've personally never had a bad 175. They are all splendid guitars to me. I am delighted with the 165 that replaced Red, but I do miss that guitar. I developed a relationship with the red 175. It was the guitar I reached for. I hope it is the same way for you Rio!
    Enjoy.
    Joe D.

User Info Menu

Congrats on your new guitar and your daughter's! You both enjoy them in good health!

User Info Menu

That Red 175 is a cool guitar ,that colour is certainly
    eye catching, congrats on your new acquisition we
    are all happy for one another when a ngd appears.
    A nice touch for your daughter with the mini, you
    have a very nice collection there Rio , may they
    give you great enjoyment over the coming years.

Best, SF

User Info Menu

Congrats Rio ! The 175 is in the hands of a fine player. It will be making some beautiful music. Love the group shot.
    God bless !

User Info Menu

Rio, 175's do sound their best with flatwounds. I would tell you to consult with Joe Pass and Herb Ellis about that, but you will need to obtain the services of a medium to do so.

But don't take my word for it, I put flatwounds on just about every thing!

User Info Menu

Hubba! Hubba! Love it that you thought about your little girl. That Cordoba Mini should get her started.

Nice collection, all of them.

User Info Menu

She's a beauty Rio. All the pieces Max sells are good pieces. Scarlet would have been a good name. Sometimes it's not good to name them for a while. Once you name them they become family.Hope the Bebops work for you. Congrats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    She's a beauty Rio. All the pieces Max sells are good pieces. Scarlet would have been a good name. Sometimes it's not good to name them for a while. Once you name them they become family.Hope the Bebops work for you. Congrats.
    Thanks Brother.
    JD

User Info Menu

The guitar got a great home with RIO. My pleasure to meet him and pass on the tone and karma that come with this great guitar. I am so fortunate to be a member of this forum. Good vibes all around. I miss this baby...but I do have a great blackguard Vaschenko T style with a Lollar CC in the neck and Special T in the bridge. I can cover more ground with this guitar at this point...that is the only reason I let the 175 go. I know I will have another in my future. I just bought my wife a new car and found out that I needed big repairs to my car the next day. Poop happens...Rio is the winner. Can't think of a nicer guy and great player to get the git.

User Info Menu

Rio.
    So you've named the new axe " Red by the way" that's certainly unusual
    but I like it.

Best, SF

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot guys Silverfox - I need to work on my punctuaton, as you can see haha. Joe, I hear what you mean. I noticed it on the few frets around the F too but I really want to record something before changing them even though I have the Bebops waiting to go on for the comparison video. I wanted to do a blind comparison - maybe I can figure out how to do that without video. I have seen videos on YouTube and on the forums where guys play one thing continuously and just fade in each guitar like how Lawson did it and that is such a good way to do the blind listening test but I don't have any daw programs on my computer at the moment. I do have the capability on my iPad but I have to figure out how to get the audio onto it and how to get the audio then into a video with text screens showing guitar numbers. I will work on it...not sure how to do that. One option I guess would be to use the new looper and record each one onto its own channel since there are three channels in the looper and then just switch them but the looper is really complicated so I don't know that I will be able to learn how to do that yet. I'll get something figured out though. And thanks for the kind words Kelly - I am really glad to be part of these forums too. So many good guys (and gals too even if we don't see them often) here.

Paul

User Info Menu

I recorded with the flats and changed them to Bebops last night. I will record that and the other guitars tonight, if not tomorrow night and have the comparison video up in a new thread. The D'Agostino has flats on it already so that will be a good comparison but the PM100 has Bebops on it too - the difference between the 175 and PM100 right now is not much, which is very interesting, although I will wait for the recording to make more of a judgement about that.

User Info Menu

who cares about that stunning, magical 175, tell us about the mini and that street cube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    who cares about that stunning, magical 175, tell us about the mini and that street cube
    I forgot to reply to this - I'm not sure if that is satirical or for real but in case it is the latter, the Cube EX gets used really often in the summer during wedding season. A lot of the time, if I am not sure if the venue is supplying power or if I am sure there isn't power like for beach weddings it is a godsend. The tone is nothing special but it is not bad. The batteries last forever since there are three wattage options depending on how much volume you need and having the three inputs is really useful if I am playing with a violinist who doesn't enough volume for the cocktail hour. I don't mean to say that the tone is bad at all, I would just rather use my Bud, Mustang GT or even my Polytone if I am choosing what to bring and counting on power being there. Its utility is amazing though.

The Córdoba Mini was a hit with my daughter. It is the perfect size and having the full size nut and neck width will help, I think, when she sizes up. She really likes it and has named it Cor. I would use it as a travel guitar if I had to - the sound out of it is surprisingly good and the neck is actually really comfortable.

User Info Menu

You've got a great guitar with a distinguished provenance and an admirable approach to Father's day. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    I forgot to reply to this - I'm not sure if that is satirical or for real but in case it is the latter, the Cube EX gets used really often in the summer during wedding season. A lot of the time, if I am not sure if the venue is supplying power or if I am sure there isn't power like for beach weddings it is a godsend. The tone is nothing special but it is not bad. The batteries last forever since there are three wattage options depending on how much volume you need and having the three inputs is really useful if I am playing with a violinist who doesn't enough volume for the cocktail hour. I don't mean to say that the tone is bad at all, I would just rather use my Bud, Mustang GT or even my Polytone if I am choosing what to bring and counting on power being there. Its utility is amazing though.

The Córdoba Mini was a hit with my daughter. It is the perfect size and having the full size nut and neck width will help, I think, when she sizes up. She really likes it and has named it Cor. I would use it as a travel guitar if I had to - the sound out of it is surprisingly good and the neck is actually really comfortable.
    no, i was genuinely curious. i've not played through one, or listened to it critically, but i've heard a few buskers through it while abroad and thought "well that's an acceptable sound". not amazing or life altering, but good enough to get the job done. decent amount of volume for guitar and vocals.

i also remember thinking the ac33 sounded better than the street cubes for acoustics but perhaps not as good for electrics. i can't say for sure, that's just my impression from youtube. i suppose i still mean to buy one for travel/busking purposes, i just never get around to it.

always curious about cordobas because that's where my family comes from and lives (no, the other one) and i recently went through a small/mini guitar search for busking/travelling that ended with a guild m20, of all things. i didn't know too much about these little guys but decided against it because i tune down and already use heavy strings.

User Info Menu

Yes, the guitars are perfect, but what impresses me is how you say your buying a guitar for your daughter is a gift to you. I love that! You both deserve each other, in the nicest possible way. I'm sure she'll love it.

User Info Menu

+ 1 to that Rob. heartwarming to hear a story like this, Rio's popularity around here has increased
    very considerably I would suggest.