Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

looks to me this is a new model.
    1st time I see it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You mean the Tak Matsumoto model?

User Info Menu

It was previewed at the Winter NAMM show and finally released.

User Info Menu

There've been Les Pauls with double cutaways of differing depths. I liked them.
    David

User Info Menu

a mild atrocity

User Info Menu

I don't mind it. Looks like a PRS and a Jazzmaster had a baby. Should have went with a "firebird" style headstock, though.

I'm just not sure who the intended audience is...

User Info Menu

i thought its was prs who "borrowed" from gibson...not the other way around!

prs mccarty

anyone up for a Gibson double cut solid body? - first look-gt_mccartygold-jpg

file next to robotic tuners..hah

cheers

User Info Menu

I think it looks cool. Not a guitar I would ever want but it's a nice look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I had one of these (Les Paul Studio DC) for a long time:

It has pluses and minuses -- It's very light, the bridge pup sounds great (as in Bean-o album great), and the neck and frets were very good. But the neck pup sounds brighter/thinner than a typical LP because it is shifted toward the bridge by the extra frets. I found it pretty much unusable for jazz. It also had (for me, anyway) some ergonomic issues -- it's neck heavy and balances poorly, and the bass bout dug into my arm uncomfortably. The model in the OP looks like it would balance better because of the asymmetrical shape, but with 24 frets it probably would not get a good jazz sound.

John

User Info Menu

Whether it's hollow, semi hollow or solid few Gibsons ever make the "cut" with double cuts. Gibson, and Fender are victims of their own success design wise. If it's not a Les Paul, 335, SG or 175 (or Strat or Tele for Fender) it's almost doomed to fail at the starting gate.

Oh well, Gibson at least tries to float new design balloons making immediate collector items.

Whether it's because players are slow to adopt new ideas, or Gibson bean counters can't wait for a new model to gain traction I don't know, but 50 years from now I'll bet (posthumously) that the three dominant model styles are the single cut Les Paul, 335, and 175. Our grand children will likely be discussing it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Whether it's hollow, semi hollow or solid few Gibsons ever make the "cut" with double cuts. Gibson, and Fender are victims of their own success design wise. If it's not a Les Paul, 335, SG or 175 (or Strat or Tele for Fender) it's almost doomed to fail at the starting gate.
    I always thought the LP DCs were a great design, I don't know why G didn't push them further.

User Info Menu

Oh well, Gibson at least tries to float new design balloons making immediate collector items.

Whether it's because players are slow to adopt new ideas, or Gibson bean counters can't wait for a new model to gain traction I don't know, but 50 years from now I'll bet (posthumously) that the three dominant model styles are the single cut Les Paul, 335, and 175. Our grand children will likely be discussing it.

Being I've lived in both guitar and bass worlds at different time (never both at same time), I find it interesting Bass players are very open to new woods, technology, onboard preamps and etc. Switch to guitar world and majority of guitarist are obsessed with tradition.

I think the body shape is slightly different from the Tak Matsumoto model.

anyone up for a Gibson double cut solid body? - first look-hero-jpganyone up for a Gibson double cut solid body? - first look-mdcspsl11100_main_hero_01-jpg

Personally, I think PRS's body shape is better looking.

User Info Menu

If you go back in time there were more doublecut Gibsons - Melody Makers, LP special/junior/TV, 330, BK/Trini Lopez, as well as stuff like Firebirds, Explorers, and Flying V's (which failed at first but succeeded as reissues a few times) Especially in the McCarty era, it was a company genuinely engaged in new product development at multiple price points. Today, the Gibson brand specifically (as opposed to the whole corporation) is a much narrower thing based on monetizing nostalgia and aspiration to luxury. Also, electric guitars are a solved problem. There's not much point to experimentation functionally or artistically.

Basses may be different wrt experimentation because the problem may be less completely solved. Bass-playing itself is still in a state of evolution, with people on multiple genres still trying to figure out how to treat it as a solo and chord instrument while maintaining its traditional bass role. There are also more engineering challenges wrt dead spots, wolf tones, weight, and balance.

John

4 grand for that abortion...

User Info Menu

I like it. I especially like that they did away with the usual Gibson 4-knob config. Wonder if it has a coil split?

But if in fact it is $4k, yikes.

User Info Menu

Sure, like the Johnny A. No one bought any of those.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Gibson already makes one of the most iconic doublecut solidbody guitars of all time.

User Info Menu

My beef with this new model is that's a 24-fretter, so the neck p'up will sound "funny" to my ears.

And for $ 4K, I'll take a Sadowsky over that one anytime.

Continue the double cut theme, if you have visited the Gibson website, you saw these already.
    But we all like pictures, right?

A new Johnny A model

anyone up for a Gibson double cut solid body? - first look-csjapsl11062_main_hero_01-jpg

Another ES-335

anyone up for a Gibson double cut solid body? - first look-cs-art-044_main_hero_01-jpg