The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Squarely in the gizmo section.....

Not wanting to drill any holes in an expensive acoustic archtop, and wanting to avoid the 'monkey on a stick' contraption, would it perhaps be possible to install a pick up by this method?

3M Dual Lock is a kind of snap closure velcro variant = very secure.

SaveSave

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Hey... it was just one of those wacky 'just before falling asleep ideas'.

User Info Menu

I can not see why not..

My personal experience with a L4 is that in order to align thepickup with the strings, te pickup needs to be positioned a bit further towards the right than possible. That reauired a small cut out of the pickguard. Or buy another replacement pickguard and make a cut in that one.

I would probably remove the original pickguard and get a replica made, which I could then notch out and also install the pickup controls to.

User Info Menu

Why not just use a neck rod?

Trying to avoid drilling holes.

User Info Menu

Just sent this pic to my luthier, who's working on doing a DeArmond install for me. We're currently discussing the best way to mount the pickup. The issue with the metal rods, aside from requiring holes, is that they're extremely fragile (on the reissue a least). Thanks for the idea. I like it!

User Info Menu

As an alternative to velcro or dual-lock, I have used these with great success. Scotch Clear Mounting Squares. Very firm hold. And easily and cleanly removable down the road. This is the smaller version, they make larger ones too, I believe 1" sq.

Amazon.com: Scotch 859 Mounting Squares, Precut, Removable, 11/16-Inch x 11/16-Inch, Clear, 35 per Pack (MMM859): Home Improvement

User Info Menu

Another option is too use the putty that Krivos uses to mount his pickups. I have one on my Eastman ElRey 4 (see link) and it is not going anywhere. See link to PDF for mounting instructions.

NGD Eastman Custom Shop ElRey4

http://krivopickups.com/wp-content/u...ker-Manual.pdf

Omphalopsychos - let me know what he thinks and if it works out for you. I don't have a Rhythm Chief PU so I might be missing something.

The putty and Scotch mounting squares are great ideas. I might use the putty to experiment with pickup placement.

I am a bit of a Dual Lock fan though. I seem to be using it more and more. It's a very clean, strong, reusable and relocatable fastener.

It can be tricky to get it to release. If you use less area than you think you need and pry open a few teeth at a corner it pops open easily.

You can use one side Dual Lock and one side the hook part of Velcro. This is a lot easier to release.

Another trick is to use triangles rather than squares of Dual Lock. It's easier to break away the lock from the point of the triangle.
    Last edited by Burrellesque; 06-12-2017 at 09:34 PM.

User Info Menu

All of those ideas look great but,how about the removal of that pickup? Will the putty or the tapes harm a nitro finish? I believe Mark Campellone mounted a Dearmond to one of his pickguards. With a plate under it. Similar to a Benedetto S6 mounting.

The original idea is pickguard mounted.

User Info Menu

I think it's a sound idea, especially with a spare PG.

User Info Menu

Where can one get this putty? Is it a Krivos product? Or something that I can order from Stew Mac or...?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Burrellesque

SaveSave
    I would try this: keep the basic design, but replace the metal strip with a strip of carbon fiber. You can buy small sheets for not too much money. http://dragonplate.com/ecart/product...ID=3976&cID=94 You can glue the carbon fiber strip to the bottom of the pickguard with super glue and it won't move; it'll be on there good and solid. Then mount the pickup on the CF strip using dual-lock, as per your original design. A carbon fiber sheet of the same thickness of any metal you use should be much more rigid.

SaveSave
    SaveSave
    Last edited by Socraticaster; 06-14-2017 at 10:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Where can one get this putty? Is it a Krivos product? Or something that I can order from Stew Mac or...?
    Sounds like it's the same putty used with Schertler pickups. I've used this putty for years and have had no problems with it. Doesn't leave any marks, stains or residue on my guitar tops. Not cheap ($20) but you can be use it over and over again if you keep it clean. Maybe someone with both a Krivos and a Schertler can confirm if it's the same putty.

Anyway, you can get the Schertler putty here.

Adhesive Putty - Single Pack - DjangoBooks.com

User Info Menu

Thanks, archtopeddy. I think I might give this putty a try.

I have a Dearmond 1100 reissue I want to install on my '45 L7, but like Burrellesque, I haven't been able to work up the nerve to drill that little hole in the neck of my old guitar.

I really like Socraticaster's idea of using a carbon fiber instead of a metal strip. I'm not sure why. It just seems intuitively (to me) like it might be lighter, stronger and somehow less prone to noise than a metal strip. Somehow more sonically neutral. Maybe. Or maybe the resonance of the metal enhances some overtones. Who knows?

Thanks for the thread, Burrellesque! Clever design to avoid that monkey rod!

The monkey rod is a classic and has that old-school real-deal jazz vibe, but your design seems really promising. Elegant, cleaner.

I'll be watching to see what you decide to do.

Good luck!

Yes, carbon fibre could be good. I guess you could even use pick guard material as well if there is enough clearance.

I was originally thinking plastic of some kind, but thought metal in case it needed bending in some way to raise or lower the pickup in relation to the strings.
    This can be achieved in other ways though. Gluing or double sided tape on the underside of the pickguard would raise the pickup slightly for example, and vice versa.

I will probably end up with the full fix behind the strings monkey on a stick setup anyway... like you say it has a certain vibe.
    Probably try both at some point.

I will keep you posted.

User Info Menu

I bought some of this putty from Blue Star Music through reverb.com. I don't know if it is any good yet, but at least it was designed or prepared or packaged for the purpose of mounting pickups...and the price was right. Looks huge in the picture but is only 1.5 inches long, which is more than you need anyway.

I'll use this to at least to play around with north/south location, and see if I could live without the monkey stick, and then think about building a patent-pending Burrellesque carbon fiber "tongue".

Acoustically Transparent Adhesive Guitar Pickup Putty, | Reverb
    Last edited by Flat; 06-21-2017 at 03:46 AM.

Hopefully the "tongue" works.
    Last edited by Burrellesque; 06-21-2017 at 06:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Yes - please let me know if the carbon-fibre method works.

User Info Menu

Also, let us know how the putty works. It's made by Schatten so it's probably a good product. I haven't used this putty or any of their pickups but I have used the Schatten thumb-wheel volume and tone controls and been pleased with them.

The Schertler putty I referred to above and I believe also with the Schatten putty serve to help transfer the resonance from the guitar top (board) to the pickup as needed with a stick-on pickup. In your case with a Dearmond RC, I don't believe you will need to do this. Be sure to use a very little of the putty. This minimizes any unwanted sound transfer and also minimizes any risk of damage to the finish.

And, also... some folks might find a light-blue 3M putty and think it's the same as the Schertler putty. IT IS NOT! Both the Schertler and 3M putty look similar in color and texture. But do not use the 3M putty; it is more permanent and will damage your guitar top.
    Last edited by archtopeddy; 06-21-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Going to order the Schatten thumbwheel pots I think. Everyone seems to like them.

User Info Menu

Got a couple of pieces. Not sure best way to cut them. Saw? Score, like cutting glass? cutoff wheel disk?
    Thanks for a great idea!

I have the 'monkey on a stick' DeArmond 1000 on my L-7 now. Sounds really great!

I'm not hearing any problem with the plain string balance that many mention with this pickup. I have the treble side raised up a touch and have Thomastik Jazz Swing 13s on the guitar.

I ordered a set of Martin Retro Monel strings.... not sure if I need them now, but will give them ago. The pure acoustic tone with the Thomastiks isn't as good as with say 80/20 strings. Perhaps the Monel strings will be the best of both worlds.

SaveSave
    Last edited by Burrellesque; 07-04-2017 at 11:06 PM.