The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Well, I'm pretty excited, and the dog and cat don't seem to care, so I thought I'd come be excited here. After a few years of waiting for the right non-Gibson 335, I took the plunge on a used 2010 Heritage H-535 this morning. I had been leaning toward a H-535 all along, but had entertained some other options along the way.

The H-535's had been at the edge of my budget. The low end of the used of the market was the high end of my budget.

I had come close to taking the plunge on a few others, but they never quite seemed right. But this one was a good price, had the Seth Lovers that I wanted, and I was assured the neck isn't overly skinny. It's almond burst, with a little figure, but not too gaudy. It has the oddly long Heritage headstock, but headstocks are low on my list of concerns.

Here's a pic from the listing...I'll try to get some better pics when it shows up next week.

2010 Heritage H-535-zcjebibbuvane6styqng-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice! Great sunburst.

User Info Menu

Beautiful. Just curious- why "non-Gibson"?

User Info Menu

I'm guessing the OP was looking to buy used and get the most guitar he could get for the least $. Gibson's do hold their value pretty good--Heritages--while excellent guitars, do not.

I think he did great--that 535 is a great guitar, and a real beauty.

User Info Menu

That's a nice looking guitar - looking forward to seeing more of it. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

That's a beauty! Looking forward to your in-hand assessment. The Heritage Almond Burst is one of the all-time greats, IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Beautiful. Just curious- why "non-Gibson"?
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'm guessing the OP was looking to buy used and get the most guitar he could get for the least $. Gibson's do hold their value pretty good--Heritages--while excellent guitars, do not.
    This was a big part of it. Also, I've done instrument repair for a living most of my adult life, and it has led me to avoid Gibson for the most part. It's nothing personal...I know a lot of folks love them and I love to hear those folks play them. And I love it when they bring them to me for work.
    And there are obviously some truly great Gibsons out there, usually vintage or custom shop type instruments, but those are way out of my price range. I did try a few used Gibsons in my range, along with other brands, that were within driving distance. Honestly, an older Yamaha SA-2000(?) was the only thing that impressed me locally.
    Unfortunately, I don't live in an area where I could go to a big shop and try 15 ES-335s in hopes of finding a gem.

User Info Menu

Beautiful 'burst, I'd be excited too.

Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Congrats from another Heritage fan! Your H535 looks great and I'm sure plays and sounds great as well, especially with Seths.
    My 535 also has those and I love it.
    Play it in good health.

User Info Menu

Beauty! Love it.

User Info Menu

The H-535 is every bit as good as the ES-335, at least on average it is. The 535 is thinner and is lighter. The jack is in the rim, which is better for safety reasons.

Seth Lovers would be my choice for that guitar.

I currently use a ES-345, but that's not because it's a better guitar. It's the model I grew up with, and it feels like home. The 535 is a better design IMO.

User Info Menu

Oh, the 535 has solid maple rims, not laminates. I can't imagine it makes any real difference in the final acoustics, but solid rims must have more mojo somehow!

User Info Menu

Here's a Gibson video. Note how they make the laminates, including rims. Gibson uses an old Kalamazoo machine. Heritage uses either the same machine or an older one but a similar technique.

Now step back into the mid 20th century and see Heritage building a 535.

User Info Menu

I have a similar 1989 model. Never played it much because the pickups don't sound good to me and the 3 switch coil tap setup seems a distraction (you would think I would just leave it alone, right?). So.. Seth Lovers would be good. Still thinking a drop in P90 or Armstrong Hand Wound single coil though.

Heritage sure nailed the sunburst on their guitars.

User Info Menu

Your pickups are likely Schallers. They seem to be good PAF type pickups. But the coil tapping of them never seemed like a good idea to me. The pickups are too weak for that IMO.

Since you already have mini toggles installed, why not use P-Rails?

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    I have a similar 1989 model. Never played it much because the pickups don't sound good to me and the 3 switch coil tap setup seems a distraction (you would think I would just leave it alone, right?). So.. Seth Lovers would be good. Still thinking a drop in P90 or Armstrong Hand Wound single coil though.

Heritage sure nailed the sunburst on their guitars.

User Info Menu

Thats a heck of a nice guitar. Patrick had one. No where near as flamey. And I assure, the neck was anything but skinny.
    I was surprised how shallow the body was.
    I hope you love your guitar. It is beautiful!
    joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Your pickups are likely Schallers. They seem to be good PAF type pickups. But the coil tapping of them never seemed like a good idea to me. The pickups are too weak for that IMO.

Since you already have mini toggles installed, why not use P-Rails?
    Ummm... because I didn't know about P-Rails? They look like a very interesting set up and as you said, I already have the toggle switches. Kind of looking forward to this.

Thanks MG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Ummm... because I didn't know about P-Rails? They look like a very interesting set up and as you said, I already have the toggle switches. Kind of looking forward to this.

Thanks MG
    Here's the wiring schematic.

Wiring Diagrams - Seymour Duncan | Seymour Duncan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Here's a Gibson video. Note how they make the laminates, including rims. Gibson uses an old Kalamazoo machine. Heritage uses either the same machine or an older one but a similar technique.

Now step back into the mid 20th century and see Heritage building a 535.

two great vids!!! thanks for puttin them together like that!... gibson memphis is like a precision surgery room, while heritage is like family bbq!!..both great, but one pure vintage and the other modernized...love it

hope new heritage owners are keeping some of the ol' soul

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 06-01-2017 at 05:35 PM.

User Info Menu

It's here, and it's really nice! I played it for a few hours this morning and I really dig it. It sounds great and the neck is comfortable. Those are the important things.
    It also looks quite a bit better (to me) than the pictures I had seen, including the one I posted. I tried to get some better pictures this morning but I think I'll try again with my wife's camera when she get's home. The pics I took look very red at the edges, which isn't a great representation of the instrument.
    It's been a while since I've had something with a 2 volume, 2 tone configuration. There are so many great tones to had in that setup.

User Info Menu

Heritage bursts are a thing of beauty...and they're very difficult to photograph in a way that does them justice.

User Info Menu

Here's the best pic that I could get. Might be time to get a real camera.

2010 Heritage H-535-18922204_10155645887616535_1855163470286097924_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Very nice. I bought a 535 new in '92, still playing, still loving it.

User Info Menu

moroben,

That is an _excellent_ looking H-535. Like MartyGrass, I think the 535 is the equal of the typical ES-335. Sure, I have played three or four vintage ES-335 instruments that you'd sell a kidney for, but let's compare apples and apples. The typical H-535 and ES-335 are definitely comparable guitars in terms of quality, sound, and playability. AND, the Heritage will consistently have a better sunburst finish. (Those folks in Kalamazoo just have the edge over everyone when it comes to spraying a sunburst.)

You have definitely moved into the left lane on the autobahn--fast company, at this point.

Enjoy!

PS: I have the Schaller pickups on my Super Eagle and just love them to death.