The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 92 of 92
    funny, i was in the crowd this night in '98 !
    congrats from France !!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This thread fills my heart with joy.

Cool man

Enjoy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkychicken70
    funny, i was in the crowd this night in '98 !
    congrats from France !!

"I gots to know" as the bank robbing perp says in the open to Dirty Harry...
    DO YOU REMEMBER, was he playing Red most of the time or did his switch off to the GB10.

I hope to speak to him in the next few days. I have to look at his schedule to see when he has some down time.

Big

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thank You Tim !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

your red guitar can do some blues...george b workin it on the old son house -death letter blues

and live at montreux '99...(with different pickups tho)

cheers

User Info Menu

Don't see Alumitones there. Hmm.

I looked carefully because it don't sound like an Alumitone.

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    your red guitar can do some blues...george b workin it on the old son house -death letter blues

and live at montreux '99...(with different pickups tho)

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    That right there is your Jazz Master guitar stank-face!

@BigMikeInNJ , it looks like the Maestro personally dug your guitar. At the point this pic was taken the guitar was nine years old and yet, "Trip abroad? I'll grab the Testa Rossa!" Enjoy, man!
    Last edited by Sam Sherry; 06-02-2017 at 03:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Yeah last Friday night he told me that was his favorite guitar for a long time, a total one off. I like the Alumitone pickups and am leaving them on (Sam, gonna hold onto them too if I ever do change it out, but I doubt I will). I also got SureGrip III knobs even before I won the guitar (pretty cheeky huh) and I'm gonna leave the speed knobs on it that he had on it. No desecration of The Champ's guitar by me... It's truly bad ass...

Have a great weekend fellas.

Big

User Info Menu

He changed the pickups to Alumitones after those videos were shot. They are weird looking but doggone they are nice sounding. The Man knows what he's doing that is for sure. Hate to say this but I'd like being in Jersey about a half hour so I could crank my Princeton Reverb and pimp out on this beast. Got me a Zoom pedal with a bunch of amp simulators so plan on going with some good headphones (I know perish the thought)...

Big

This story is ridiculously awesome! I smile every time I read it. Benson is THE MAN. We all read this because we all love him!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

After Ted got his Mortoro guitar he found some stuff in the case pocket. Tonight I decided to look and mine had a giant baggie with the original Sure Grip knobs, the case key and some George Benson picks. Further double checking the guitar IS stuff with foam with the thin ebony like veneers giving it a classier look. Looking around on YouTube he toured with it from 1998 through 2013, held up pretty well. It's on stage with him here.

User Info Menu

Could you describe how the ebony inserts
    /foam thing works ... ?
    Don't worry if you don't wanna move things around ... I understand

User Info Menu

Well I've had this thing such a short amount of time I'm humbled just looking at it.
    Here's a shot of the bass side f-hole, where I pushed the ebony veneer (it is about the thickness of a medium pick). Underneath that is a dense foam like what UPS might use to pad a guitar box with. As is it is dead quiet, like playing a Les Paul unlugged. But plugged in it's great.

All the GB models are working man's guitars, built to be played on stages and loud without the usual feedback you'd get from an arch top. As I said at his Chicago gig he played just his GB10 but had the f-holes taped. Amazing guitars.

George Benson's Red Ibanez GB5-19113596_10154793678597239_587206237592432947_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks for the pics
    I use that soft foam inside my jazz box too
    (only the upper bouts now , as a compromise
    I fully stuffed it originally but I think I overdid it so
    I removed the lower half ....
    it keeps some acoustics going on in there
    Hey I'm British , its a compromise innit

I used a piece of black vinyl type upholstery
    material beneath the upper f hole to cover/disguise it
    It works great for eliminating the feedback
    and plugged in you still get the warm jazz box sound

Result !
    The ebony probably works/looks even better
    I wonder how he got the ebony strips in there ?
    I had to do a fair bit of messing around to get mine to look right

Love that red ibz man ...
    Play on !
    Last edited by pingu; 06-15-2017 at 11:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Just gave it a quick run thru my Princeton Reverb. The pickups sound great !!! Definitely not Filteron thin, hum bucker sound more but with lots of sparkle and definition. The placement of the screws is interesting, reminds me just a tiny bit of pickups used in Super Chet models. There is a chance I will be talking to him and I'll ask him what's what and did he have some input into the design of them. The guitar does not glow in the dark by the way but I heard strains of Mambo Inn when coming down the hallway at 2am for a drink of water.

Big

A little off topic but I've never seen a GB10 with "set in" pickups like the one in the clip!
    Looks and sounds great.
    Have you ever seen one like that before Big Mike?