The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Could someone suggest a ballpark figure for a complete refret on a 1974 Gibson ES-175 bound rosewood board on a mahogany neck? It is still playable but getting pretty low, so might want to get this done before I hit retirement year from now. Thanks!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just had a 1963 175 refretted in stainless. It also needed a new nut due to the higher frets that I had installed. The total cost was about $450.

I would say plan on spending between $300 and $500.

User Info Menu

Thanks man! That's not as big a hit as I was imagining. Great! Now I just need to find a recommendation for an experienced archtop luthier here in Northern Connecticut. Anyone have a recommendation?

User Info Menu

Vernon,
    Stringswinger got his done at a great price. Probably because he is famous. Here on the east coast, stainless will run you $600-$750. Nickel frets will be about $450.
    The difference in not in the wire, its in the set of tools that your luthier will go through to work with the stainless.
    IF you willing to drive to NJ, Ian at Lark St. Music in Teaneck does great work.

Good Luck,
    Joe D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vernon
    Thanks man! That's not as big a hit as I was imagining. Great! Now I just need to find a recommendation for an experienced archtop luthier here in Northern Connecticut. Anyone have a recommendation?
    If you have never been there, you might want to stop at Goat Peak Strings in Easthampton, MA. If you are in Northern CT, I assume they are not too far away from you. There are 3 luthiers there. They also have a quite an interesting collection of old archtops on the wall.

User Info Menu

I'd talk to Norm Letendre at Norm's Guitars in Newington. He's done a lot of work on my teacher's L5 over the years with great results. (He's also done a number of set-ups for me, but nothing like a re-fret.) Not the fastest turn-around, but he's excellent. Tell him Mike sent you!

User Info Menu

Those are higher prices than around central Illinois for sure. The stainless steel no they cost but a set of gold evo $400 maybe 375 for nickel silver. Partial is just as
    bad unless it is only 3 frets or so. Trying to get matching fret size is impossible to be dead on. I also quote prices based on value of guitar, I am unsure if others do this? Refret on a Yamaha flat top is very different than your basic 175.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Those are higher prices than around central Illinois for sure. The stainless steel no they cost but a set of gold evo $400 maybe 375 for nickel silver. Partial is just as
    bad unless it is only 3 frets or so. Trying to get matching fret size is impossible to be dead on. I also quote prices based on value of guitar, I am unsure if others do this? Refret on a Yamaha flat top is very different than your basic 175.
    unless the guitar is harder to refret why would value enter into your quote?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Vernon,
    Stringswinger got his done at a great price. Probably because he is famous. Here on the east coast, stainless will run you $600-$750. Nickel frets will be about $450.
    The difference in not in the wire, its in the set of tools that your luthier will go through to work with the stainless.
    IF you willing to drive to NJ, Ian at Lark St. Music in Teaneck does great work.

Good Luck,
    Joe D.
    I am not famous, I just shopped around. Prices for anything here in the Bay Area involving services are sky high. I was quoted as low as $300 (for nickel-silver, that guy would not do stainless) to a high of $800 (stainless, including a Plek job). You do pay more for Stainless, Evo or a bound board.

Frets do wear out. Just like tires on a car. And very often, a fret job will require a new nut.

User Info Menu

You are famous to me..

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone! You've helped me with the information I need to move forward. I'll do some searches on stainless, evo, and nickel silver fret wire to learn more.

User Info Menu

I just had my Gibson JS refretted with EVO Gold wire and I couldn't be happier. I paid $350.

I'm looking forward to a much longer fret life than nickel silver and unlike stainless, Jescar EVO won't make most luthiers shudder.

You can find my recent post on here.
    Last edited by ThatRhythmMan; 05-08-2017 at 06:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Down here on the third coast, a refret from a reputable person is closer to $200 than to $500. I was recently quoted $200 as a ballpark price, depending on the shape of the guitar and the fret material, from one of the top guys available. I haven't yet decided whether to refret the guitar, but I think that's a pretty standard rate around here.

User Info Menu

Value always taken into consideration. Many guitars not worth refret and if I am fretting your prize Gibson super 400 more liability. I have to take extra caution not all repairman work same way and they do not tell you everything related to the job. I charge less for some guitars if they are not worth it or I would turn work away. It is a case by case basis.

User Info Menu

I had my '55 175 refretted this past November for $520. You'll like it.

User Info Menu

So I entrusted my 1974 ES-175 to Norm Letendre in Newington. His estimate for the complete refret in stainless is $400-425. We'll see how everything turns out. First refret for me. Anyway... I'm glad I have other guitars I love to play.

User Info Menu

Wow. That's a great price for stainless. If you like definition, durability and clarity, I think you will love stainless frets.
    Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I'm so glad I decided to get my 175 refretted. Norm did a fantastic job! $400. It's like a whole new instrument. Very much worth it to me.
    Gibson ES-175 Refret Cost-img_4765-jpg

User Info Menu

Really happy it worked out for you with Norm. (I need to take an old strat in to him for a check-up before we move out of the area in August.)

User Info Menu

Congrats Vernon!

You went the same route that I did and I am quite pleased as I am sure you will be over time. $400 is a very fair price for a Stainless refret on a bound board.

Evo frets do not last as long and IMO, gold frets just look strange. Stainless is the way to go.

I went with 6150. Some guys prefer 6105. Which size did you choose?

User Info Menu

6150. He did have to cut a new nut. I'm happy with stainless... want to pass this down to my son and grandson eventually.

User Info Menu

6150. He did have to cut a new nut. I'm happy with stainless... want to pass this down to my son and grandson eventually.
    Was the new nut included in the $400 price? If so, that is a superb price. Guys like JD should make the drive to that shop.

User Info Menu

Yes, the new nut was included. I did tell him that I would be paying with cash. Perhaps that helped?

User Info Menu

Do you notice any difference as to brightness with SS, some claim there is a difference in sound?

User Info Menu

I haven't really noticed any increase in brightness of tone. There is more clarity and definition, but that could be simply due to new frets.