The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Has anyone played both of these amps, side by side? I need an amp to play a church venue and small outdoor event every now and then. I know that the cube gets high marks here but the frontman is 120 watts with 2 12s so I am assuming it to be louder for the same price. I really dont need the modelling of the cube either. Is there any other choices I may be missing in the $300 range? Let me know.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

hmmm...the cube's other big selling point aside from the ones you mentioned is it's portability. you wouldn't be mic'd for the outdoor gig? how big of a gig are we talking here?

the 2 12's in the frontman are gonna move more air, and you'll definitely get a higher percived volume out of it...worry not about watts--a 120 watt amp is NOT 2x as loud as a 60 watt...just something to think about. that frontman is gonna be HEAVY--and i've never been a fan of the sound of the frontman series--fender's late 90's early 2000's series of solid state amps were MUCH better IMHO--the deluxe 90, the stage 120. look for one used--they're really impressive for the price.

another option in that price range? if you don't mind big and heavy, i've seen used roland jazz choruses for 350...i'd hate to see you end up with an amp that's just loud and doesn't actually sound good. i've seen folks knock the big ol JC's, but if you want my opinion, if you can't get a decent clean sound ot of one of those, the problem ain't the amp!

User Info Menu

On the Jazz Chorus: if you can't find a JC-120 at a good price, keep an eye open for the JC-77 or JC-90. They're a bit smaller because they are 2x10s but they've got the sound and should be plenty loud enough for you. It's too bad Rolqand doesn't make them anymore.

User Info Menu

I have a buddy who plays a Frontman 2x12 at church, and frankly I just don't like the tone. We are playing rock, so it is rarely clean.

User Info Menu

There is a FM 212 in our rehearsel room and though it may be ok for it's low price, I like the tone of my Cube 30 a lot better! The FM is very cold and clinical. Only with the treble and bass all the way down and mid all the way up I manage to get a sound that I like.

(And it doesn't even come close to my Twin reverb, but that's realy not a fair comparison)

I would go for the Cube, the 60 or 80 being loud enough for most situations.

User Info Menu

I have a 212 and I'll admit that it isn't built for the clean jazz sound, but you can still get a nice mellow tone out of it. I bought it primarily because I needed something that sounded good soft in a small worship setting at church but also could move are at a big venue, which it does very well.

~DB

Well, it sounds like the Fender is out. I am looking for something that can fill the room and sound good.

For the outdoor setting, it isnt terrible large but it is an outdoor church service for about 100, the same with the indoor. I have a buddy that has a crate 2-10 that fills the room well, that is why I was looking at the 2-12's

If I could find a JC120 or similar I would love that. Are there any others that I should look out for?

Jas

User Info Menu

Are you still in the $300 price range?

Several people have said, at least when playing clean, the Cube 60 is a loud as the 80X. You could see if one Cube 60 is loud enough; if not, play through two! The advantage of using two amps is that for smaller events, you can just bring one and save your back. Also, two amps can be spread out giving you a physical separation that lets you be "bigger", not just "louder".

Check out zzounds.com, for example. The going rate for a new 60 is $300, and returned amps go for $250. Used will be even lower.
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 08-24-2009 at 04:38 PM.

Big Daddy,

how would you play through two C60's

User Info Menu

I play sometimes with a fellow how uses a Line6 ss amp, the Spider-model?? I think they also have a 212 version. He sounds very good on it with an Ibanez hollowbody (and plays jazz).

Line6 sounds very good and is very affordable. Maybe worth a look?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    play through two! The advantage of using two amps is that for smaller events, you can just bring one and save your back. Also, two amps can be spread out giving you a physical separation that lets you be "bigger", not just "louder".
    Very interesting suggestion. What do you exactly mean by "bigger"? There would be an advantage in using, let's say two cube 30's instead of a single cube 60? A single 60, having a larger cone, has more pronounced bass frequences than a single 30: are the bass frequences of two 30's comparable to those of a 60?

Thank you!

User Info Menu

A little warning: my Cube 30 forces me to dial out almost all the bass (turn down the bass control), especially when placed on a wooden floor..... I couldn't imagine needing a 60 to obtain more bass... In fact, I think the 60 produces even less (or tighter, more controlable?) bass, because the speaker handles the frequencies better.

I think 2 10" speakers have more cone-surface and can spread the sound better then a single 12", thus creating the feel of being more audible.

I never understand guitarplayers who need a lot of bass-frequencies in their sound. That may sound good when playing alone, but in a combo it quickly produces a blurred sound that get's in the way of the other instruments.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the clarification, Little Jay. In fact, now I realize that "tighter bass" is the expression I've read more frequently regarding the advantage of a large cone over a smaller one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasmeece
    Big Daddy,

how would you play through two C60's
    1. Plug guitar into Cube 60 normally.
    2. Connect Tuner Out Jack on Cube 60 to Instrument Input on second amp with standard guitar cable. (Settings on Cube 60 will have no effect on signal to second amp.)
    3. Let me know if either amp blows up (just kidding)!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay

I never understand guitarplayers who need a lot of bass-frequencies in their sound. That may sound good when playing alone, but in a combo it quickly produces a blurred sound that get's in the way of the other instruments.
    you nailed it there. the tone i use in a combo is very different from the tone i use when playing solo. for solo gigs, i like the bass. for combos, uh uh...

of course, a sure fire way to lighten up the bass muddiness is to get that amp up off the floor...

Thanks for all of the help. I am still looking at the options. I did come across somthing I have never seen before. Have anyone seen or played a Crate powercube? 5 pounds 75w stereo looks very portable and can do stereo too.

User Info Menu

You mean the PowerBlock? It's just a head, right? You still need a speaker cabinet.

User Info Menu

Take a look at the Lunchbox from ZT: ZT Amplifiers - Products

People are raving about it and frankly I would like to try one out very much too.... portable power so it seems.

Yes sorry, Power block and Roland cube

I see the power block as similar to the lunch box amp with tone controls Has anyone used these before?

User Info Menu

The LunchBox is a combo with a speaker. The PowerBlock is just the amplifier head:

I don't know how much clean head room you get with the PowerBlock. See this thread:
    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...ps-guitar.html
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 08-26-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Oh, Ok, Has anyone used the LB for a gig? The You tube vids seem to indicate that the LB will break up pretty good at high volume

Sorry for the first reply, A quick search turned up what I was looking for. Hmmmm a Lunchbox or a cube???