The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 58

User Info Menu

Considering price, and other at today buying a D'ANGELICO or D'ACQUISTO archtop electric is a good codice or is this rangetante of price tenere are better guitar for construction , material , etc ..?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I assume you mean the new Japanese-made instruments? Both are good quality for the price. My D'Aquisto New Yorker is made by Aria, and I think it is a superb guitar, both as an acoustic or amplified. The workmanship is very high quality. Here it is unplugged:

User Info Menu

... I sold my d'angelico EXL-1 when I bought my L-5 CES... the L-5 is in a class of its own, and i'll never regret buying it; the EXL-1 was, at 1/8th of the price, a REALLY good guitar: excellent finish, very good neck, and a very sweet voice. Great guitar.

User Info Menu

AND, there are two different "classes" of new D'Angelicos. The Japanese New Yorkers and the Korean Excels. Different animals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Couldn't help subscribing to your YT channel!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelcaster
    Couldn't help subscribing to your YT channel!
    You're not the first around here to do that, Rob is a cool cat!

User Info Menu

I'm guessing (though one shouldn't) that the OP is referring to the recent production of D' guitarswhich I don't think are anywhere near the level of Rob's MIJ model. I haven't spent a great deal of time with these new guitars but I wasn't at all impressed with the fiddling I've done on a couple I've picked up. They're guitars made in Korea(?) with the name of a great builder stamped on them. They're not terrible by any means but I don't think there is any reason to consider one just because they paid for permission to duplicate a particular headstock design.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    I'm guessing (though one shouldn't) that the OP is referring to the recent production of D' guitarswhich I don't think are anywhere near the level of Rob's MIJ model. I haven't spent a great deal of time with these new guitars but I wasn't at all impressed with the fiddling I've done on a couple I've picked up. They're guitars made in Korea(?) with the name of a great builder stamped on them. They're not terrible by any means but I don't think there is any reason to consider one just because they paid for permission to duplicate a particular headstock design.
    Well Rob's is a Japanese D'Aquisto, not D'Angelico. Are there new D'Aquisto's made in Korea? (I'm being serious, not sarcastic.)
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 05-02-2017 at 08:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Good point. They are not all the same quality. I tried the Korean ones in a local guitar shop, and I thought they were okay for the price, but nothing more. The one I have costs twice as much, and really does seem twice as good. So, you get what you pay for either way. Actually, I was very lucky at finding mine locally second hand, at almost the price of the Korean ones. I'm not always so lucky...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    AND, there are two different "classes" of new D'Angelicos. The Japanese New Yorkers and the Korean Excels. Different animals.
    Do you know differences between two manufactor ?
    How is possibile recognize form were is made ?

Currently, D'Angelicos manufactured in Japan is only available in the japanese market. If they are new, you have to import them from there.
    They are now labeled as Crews not as Vestax, but they are the same guitars

User Info Menu

Just beautiful, Rob. Sincere thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carlescountry
    Currently, D'Angelicos manufactured in Japan is only available in the japanese market. If they are new, you have to import them from there.
    They are now labeled as Crews not as Vestax, but they are the same guitars
    What differences to recognize beetween two ?
    Where are Made model available in Europe ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guido_59
    Guido, see WoodySound's post:

there are [...] the Japanese New Yorkers and the Korean Excels.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    Just beautiful, Rob. Sincere thanks.
    No kidding, very heartfelt, beautiful unplugged tone, great finish

Quote Originally Posted by Guido_59
    In Europe you can only find D'Angelicos made in Korea

User Info Menu

Ok japanese only from Japan .
    Someone has any address?
    The center of question is simile:
    How many people here would buy a Korean or Japanese D'Angelico ?
    It no one, alternative Aldo second hand ?

User Info Menu

I’ll preface this by saying I got pushback on another site for the diatribe I wrote in respect to the “ new “ D’Angelico models. I’m sixty one years old, been playing for sixty years . ( Not that that means anything ,as we all know ) I’m from Rochester ,the jazz Capital no one is aware of. Think the Pithod Club,and some of the Eastman School musicians .
    I digress. When I started playing, all the players I knew were much older than me, I was possibly fifteen and they in their fifties. They mentored me,they also all refused to give me lessons. The reason being I was so passionate about the craft of playing well. They would say just come and watch while we teach others that don’t have your enthusiasm. They did give me sage advice however. You have a fourth finger,use it ! “ Your not Django “
    the two that really took me under their wings played early D’Angelico New Yorkers and Excels and all owned Gibson L5s as well. These were all fifties models , the real deal.
    Ill get to the point,honest. So I was rather reared on them, although I never owned a DAgelico, but did own an L5 .
    Recently ( the past few years ) I started seeing ads for DAngelico Guitars . I couldn’t believe it. Thought someone in New York had possibly kept the good faith and handed down this generation of craftsmanship. The first picture I saw was a New Yorker. From the photos it looked spot on. I had no idea of the price, but saw rock musicians endorsing them, it made no sense . ( I think there are some phenomenal players in the pop field, but they were not the ones endorsing these Guitars . So I got curious and see they are selling these at the Guitar Center , it was becoming more of a disconnect by the minute. A New Yorker for $1200. ? I knew the game was up, where in Asia were these being made . I went to the G.C. and they had a bunch of different models. I played four of them , this was in the past year. I’ve never played a piece of junk like those before. The finish must have been a 1/4 inch thick. The action and intonation were both terrible . Then I saw the “ Holy Grail “ a GRATEFUL DEAD model. I didn’t walk out ,I ran. This is insulting on every level. We have become a country where everything from making music,and making Guitars is all about profit and nothing more . Who the hell sold out the name without having oversight as to the quality of the Guitars . I’m a big fan of the E series Japanese Stratocasters . The 82-84 Fugi Jen are as good as anything ever made in the USA . Change the pups and caps and you’ve got a maple neck 57 Strat, of P bass.
    The Guitars I played at GC were NOT made in Japan, rather Korea .
    So today I saw a D’Aquiato New Yorker on Craigslist . $2200. It too looks like the original. I’m going to look at it tomorrow. I know automatically if it’s not Japanese I’m not interested . The seller claims he doesn’t know where it’s made, that’s not a good sign. The question is this. It appears many of you are familiar with these Guitars . What is your honest take on them ? I see the tops are pressed and not carved , that’s a rather big deal when you’re talking $2200. I also understand, as none are made by hand, like the Originals ,that you may have a lot of discrepancies between say three of the same models. If by chance it is made in Japan, and the craftsmanship ,playability,intonation and sound are great, how far down can I go to beat him up on the price : ) ? Are the D’Aquistos in a different league than the new DeAngelicos ? I’m sure they farm out the product to different distributors, is there one maker that is hands above the rest in Japan ? Fugi Gen was the way to go with Fender , I have no idea if they are still producing Guitars en masse .
    Any thoughts would be appreciated. I apologize for leading you through my entire life’s backstory before I got to the one paragraph question. One must rememeber , you’re possibly all much younger than me, you’re in the know , I’m an old outlier .
    Thank You
    all the best
    jake

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbaby64
    I’ll preface this by saying I got pushback on another site for the diatribe I wrote in respect to the “ new “ D’Angelico models. I’m sixty one years old, been playing for sixty years . ( Not that that means anything ,as we all know ) I’m from Rochester ,the jazz Capital no one is aware of. Think the Pithod Club,and some of the Eastman School musicians .
    I digress. When I started playing, all the players I knew were much older than me, I was possibly fifteen and they in their fifties. They mentored me,they also all refused to give me lessons. The reason being I was so passionate about the craft of playing well. They would say just come and watch while we teach others that don’t have your enthusiasm. They did give me sage advice however. You have a fourth finger,use it ! “ Your not Django “
    the two that really took me under their wings played early D’Angelico New Yorkers and Excels and all owned Gibson L5s as well. These were all fifties models , the real deal.
    Ill get to the point,honest. So I was rather reared on them, although I never owned a DAgelico, but did own an L5 .
    Recently ( the past few years ) I started seeing ads for DAngelico Guitars . I couldn’t believe it. Thought someone in New York had possibly kept the good faith and handed down this generation of craftsmanship. The first picture I saw was a New Yorker. From the photos it looked spot on. I had no idea of the price, but saw rock musicians endorsing them, it made no sense . ( I think there are some phenomenal players in the pop field, but they were not the ones endorsing these Guitars . So I got curious and see they are selling these at the Guitar Center , it was becoming more of a disconnect by the minute. A New Yorker for $1200. ? I knew the game was up, where in Asia were these being made . I went to the G.C. and they had a bunch of different models. I played four of them , this was in the past year. I’ve never played a piece of junk like those before. The finish must have been a 1/4 inch thick. The action and intonation were both terrible . Then I saw the “ Holy Grail “ a GRATEFUL DEAD model. I didn’t walk out ,I ran. This is insulting on every level. We have become a country where everything from making music,and making Guitars is all about profit and nothing more . Who the hell sold out the name without having oversight as to the quality of the Guitars . I’m a big fan of the E series Japanese Stratocasters . The 82-84 Fugi Jen are as good as anything ever made in the USA . Change the pups and caps and you’ve got a maple neck 57 Strat, of P bass.
    The Guitars I played at GC were NOT made in Japan, rather Korea .
    So today I saw a D’Aquiato New Yorker on Craigslist . $2200. It too looks like the original. I’m going to look at it tomorrow. I know automatically if it’s not Japanese I’m not interested . The seller claims he doesn’t know where it’s made, that’s not a good sign. The question is this. It appears many of you are familiar with these Guitars . What is your honest take on them ? I see the tops are pressed and not carved , that’s a rather big deal when you’re talking $2200. I also understand, as none are made by hand, like the Originals ,that you may have a lot of discrepancies between say three of the same models. If by chance it is made in Japan, and the craftsmanship ,playability,intonation and sound are great, how far down can I go to beat him up on the price : ) ? Are the D’Aquistos in a different league than the new DeAngelicos ? I’m sure they farm out the product to different distributors, is there one maker that is hands above the rest in Japan ? Fugi Gen was the way to go with Fender , I have no idea if they are still producing Guitars en masse .
    Any thoughts would be appreciated. I apologize for leading you through my entire life’s backstory before I got to the one paragraph question. One must rememeber , you’re possibly all much younger than me, you’re in the know , I’m an old outlier .
    Thank You
    all the best
    jake
    Jake,

First of all, how could you be 61 years old and have been playing 60 years? I started playing at 10. I have never heard of a 1 year old guitar player.

I own three D'Angelico guitars made by John D'Angelico and one of the hand carved replicas made in the 90's when the D'Angelico name was still owned by GHS strings (how they got the name is a story in and of itself). I have owned two of the Korean made D'Angelicos and was pretty unimpressed. I have not played the Japanese D'Angelicos, but I did play a couple of Japanese D'Aquistos and was still unimpressed. The Asian guitars ain't the real deal. You have seen and heard the real thing. I doubt you will find the Asian guitars to be any where near as good as the guitars you grew up with. I grew up in NYC and Philly. I call it as I see it. Always have and always will. I am in San Francisco as well. PM me if you want to talk guitars. I might be able to hook you up with a guitar that you will not find at Guitar Center or our local Craigslist.

$2200 will buy you one of the Gibson fire sale floor models at CME. That seems like a better deal to me than buying a cheap Asian made imitation of a guitar built by one of the masters. Resale on Gibsons are good. Resale on Asian made guitars are not so good.

Another option is to find one of the Steve Stern made Fender D'Aquistos.

User Info Menu

Thank you for pointing that out. I honestly didn’t even see the error. I was born in 46. You’re right, I would have been a one year old prodigy. I’m in Nob Hill near Grace. I don’t know the protocol in respect to leaving personal info. I’d like to meet you if you’re also in SF. If you can view ones email address ,that would be easy. What are you playing ? I’m going to try this New Yorker just to see what they’re like. If anything like the D.A.s I’ll most definitely pass. Curious as to what you have in mind in respect to a 17 inch body ...
    Thanks again for making me aware of my age
    best
    jake

User Info Menu

Thank you for pointing that out. I honestly didn’t even see the error. I was born in 46. You’re right, I would have been a one year old prodigy. I’m in Nob Hill near Grace. I don’t know the protocol in respect to leaving personal info. I’d like to meet you if you’re also in SF. If you can view ones email address ,that would be easy. What are you playing ? I’m going to try this New Yorker just to see what they’re like. If anything like the D.A.s I’ll most definitely pass. Curious as to what you have in mind in respect to a 17 inch body ...
    Thanks again for making me aware of my age
    best
    jake
    Jake,

I will send you a PM

User Info Menu

Then I saw the “ Holy Grail “ a GRATEFUL DEAD model. I didn’t walk out ,I ran. This is insulting on every level. We have become a country where everything from making music,and making Guitars is all about profit and nothing more .
    Right on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carlescountry
    In Europe you can only find D'Angelicos made in Korea
    Guido59,
    FYI store in France (Paris?) apparently still has a few Vestax in their stock. Their site came up in a recent search I was doing about something else.
    Catalogue D'Angelico Vestax vente/achat/prix

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Jake,

First of all, how could you be 61 years old and have been playing 60 years? I started playing at 10. I have never heard of a 1 year old guitar player.

D'Angelico or D'Aquisto - A good choice today?-baby-jpg