The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    I thought the Roland microcube was terrible, no "dimension" and serious flubbing out on bass notes on my L4CES.

Put me off cubes forever - cheap, not good IMHO.
    Bummer, none of the others do that, and the micro only does on the blackface model.

The secret jazz tone on the microcube is to usee the vox model and set gain below 9 oclock. Sounds like this:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cube 30 is amazing for home.

User Info Menu

I am waiting for the Vox MV50CL Clean.

User Info Menu

Give one of these a try. Amazing for $199.00 or less on sale.
    Gigable for low volume jobs.

Tom C

User Info Menu

My personal favorite is an oddball choice. A 1990s danelectro nifty 70 (*not* the 50) too hard to find for 50 bucks or so. Three band EQ without the typical cheesy clipping of most practice amps. Turn up the mid control to get a nice jazz tone. Lose the stock Chinese 8 inch speaker, the closed back cab will take a 10 inch speaker. I have a Weber Chicago in mine. Stick a Joyo American pedal in front of it and it will get darn loud without unpleasant clipping. Easy to dial in a tweed or blackface tone with the pedal. Looks cool too. And of course it doubles as a bass practice amp.
    Last edited by nopedals; 05-05-2017 at 09:02 AM.

User Info Menu

I own the Boss Katana head.
    Its an amazing amp for the price.
    I play it through a 15" Big Ben and a Tweaker 1x12 cab.

The 5" speaker sounds amazing!

User Info Menu

I tried the Katana 50 and 100 briefly at GC yesterday, and thought both were good but "meh" and uninspiring. I had a hard time getting to the sound I like, which is pretty mid heavy. They seemed fine but I did not want to sit there and keep playing. Granted 15 minutes at GC is not a fair test, but I didn't have any desire to keep trying either amp.

On the other hand they had one of the new fender GT amps and it was more interesting, and I'd like to spend more time with it. The basic sound and feel made me want to play it more. But it has the modeling amp problem of WAAAAAAY too many options and tweaks

User Info Menu

Do like the AER Compact 60? Not sure if you like that acoustic coaxial speaker system.

(I keep wondering if the Bugera AC60 sounds anything like it?)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Used Cube 30 or 30x
    Cube 40 is okay but there are additional technologies on the 30x which are useful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    The Cube 30 and 30x are great and cheap. Add an Eminence Delta Demon for the speaker and it gets even better.
    I got a pretty clean Cube 30x for a reasonable price BUT the OEM speaker leaves a lot to be desired. In fact it was kind of crackely, so I put in a Jensen Falcon 10 in and have been very pleased with that choice as well.

Any aftermarket reputable speaker will probably work just fine but I've always been a Jenson fan ever since the sixties when Fender was put in Jensen's in their black faces and their later on their silver faces as well.

Another thing about the cube series of amps (at least in the smaller models) is that they use digital Reverb, I'm not a big fan of digital reverb but it's okay for my intended use, and they do not have an XLR out nor do they have an effects Loop. But there are flanging chorus and delay and Reverb knobs on there so you can dial in a little bit of a an effect if you choose or you can just use the Jazz chorus circuit and a little Reverb or roll the Reverb off. There are several amps to choose from one being a blackface, the other being a Tweed, and there's a Brit, and a couple of stacks and then some other saturated junk that I'll never use but the price as I said before was very reasonable.

I will say that I prefer the Tweed and the JC over anything else on there. Anyway there are scads of information on YouTube about the cube 30X and other cubes.

User Info Menu

The AER does have a really nice sound, but it ain't cheap like the OP wanted.

the DV Marks aren't bad--they aren't high fidelity and warm like an AER, but they do the job with enough clarity for home use and all the jams I've gone to. I think they've gotten rid of that noisy fan, so that's good. Quilters are also quite good, depending on the size of the speaker and the layout of the room.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by geogio
    Used Cube 30 or 30x
    Cube 40 is okay but there are additional technologies on the 30x which are useful.
    I own a Cube 40XL and it has a very useable clean channel. As a bonus, the 40XL has the ability to reduce the power from 40W to 2W. The sound on the 2 Watt setting is room filling and very musically satisfying.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Do like the AER Compact 60? Not sure if you like that acoustic coaxial speaker system.

(I keep wondering if the Bugera AC60 sounds anything like it?)
    It does sound great, very close to the AER, totally recommend it.

To the OP, lots of good suggestions already, a lot depends on whether you are only interested on a jazz sound or would like something more versatile. And for long time cost, leaving the AI in the trunk will cost more than using the tubes on the ampeg. Plus these small ampegs sound really good!

User Info Menu

The whole Roland Cube series is a winner.
    I've got the Microcube RX which has 4 small speakers and has battery powered option.
    It's just great and so are all of the other Cubes.

Also, the DV Mark Little Jazz is not super expensive and perfect for your application.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Bummer, none of the others do that, and the micro only does on the blackface model.

The secret jazz tone on the microcube is to usee the vox model and set gain below 9 oclock. Sounds like this:

Nice! And with a tele too! Trying this today!

User Info Menu

Sort of tacking onto this topic...

I see "acoustic" amps being mentioned, "jazz" amps, and "electric guitar" amps (even a bass amp!)....

I have always read over many years that "jazz amps are better for jazz tones" because "electric guitar amps color the tone too much" (of course it depends on what tone you're after: Charlie Christian? Johnny Smith?)

Anyway, I've seen alot of cool jazz tones come out of blackface Fenders (and of course out of the tweeds- love that!), some people go for the SS jazz-specific amps, but I haven't read much about "Acoustic" amps for that tone... it certainly makes sense, especially if you're going for an amplified acoustic tone (I'd say something closer to Johnny Smith) than an electric-specific tone (many many players have this tone).

Are the acoustic amps similar to the jazz amps? Are both supposed to "not color" the tone, unlike the "electric guitar amps"? I always remember JS talking about wanting a SS amp that had a flat frequency response... I know he had an amp designed for this purpose... are all the "jazz" and "acoustic" amps pretty much with that goal in mind? I never thought of getting an acoustic amp for jazz tones... it would be nice to have an amp that does both really well....

User Info Menu

Biggest difference is whether the speaker is full range or not. Some acoustic amps have switchable tweeters, or you can just use a pedal preamp to make them sound more electric.

User Info Menu

The Roland cubes have been mentioned, but I specifically love my Roland Mobile cube. It is different than the other cubes, small and two speakers in stereo. Works on battery and wall adapter. All analog-type knobs, good reverb. Lovely sound; I get compliments every time I use it. Great for backyard jams and such. Beautiful, surprising tone. Great bedroom or living room amp.

Also, any amp intended for acoustic guitar will be good for jazz. A pro friend used an old Crate acoustic amp with a nice Gibson and got great tone for gigs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Martin223
    The Roland cubes have been mentioned, but I specifically love my Roland Mobile cube...
    Yep, the Roland Mobile Cube comes in very handy for practice, quiet jams. It could probably even be used it for low-volume busking. I like that it has a separate mic channel with its own tone. Wish the chorus was adjustable instead of on/off so it could be turned way down.

The Fender Acoustasonic 90 might make a good amp for home use. It has a separate mic channel with XLR input, so I assume it's split into two 45W channels. Does have an XLR line out, though. 18 lbs! Only an 8" speaker. If I remember correctly, I think they're about $350. You might need a Joyo American (or somesuch) pedal in front of it to make it sound right, though.

User Info Menu

The Quilter Interblock 45s look reasonable. Plus you can go direct to headphone or direct to recording interface. I’m strongly considering one. Needs a speaker cabinet, but those are also pretty inexpensive. I will probably build one around a 12” Eminence Patriot series if I get the pedal.

Quilter Labs Interblock 45 45w Guitar Amplifier Head | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Nice! And with a tele too! Trying this today!
    Thanks!

I forgot about this video. I need to re learn this song.

User Info Menu

I have a Roland JC 77, which is great, but probably too big for you (it’s too big for me). But I do love that sweet sweet clean sound. It even sounds good on 1, which is saying a lot for an amp.

User Info Menu

I find the early 70’s Gibson G-20/30 sound similar to Princeton Reverb, but with more clean headroom and sweeter mids.
    These are cheap, light, and with lush long-tank spring reverb+cool trem.
    I personally prefer them to Yamaha G series amps in terms of weight, size, AND tone/feel.

User Info Menu

Oh Hey, if this thread is drifting to include cool cheap vintage SS amps,
    One of my best pawn shop finds is a 1980's Randall RC-30. It cost $90, came in dusty but pristine condition other than one knob that looked funky. Fun thing was that the funked-up knob has an aluminum skirt, so it was an easy thing to flatten out. That's one reason why old school is cool.

The RC-30 has a 1x12 speaker with an aluminum cone, plywood cab and nice spring reverb. All for ninety bucks !!!

And the best part is that it sounds great! Jazz tones are easy to find. I've had some other cheap SS amps -- like the Peavey Envoy, for example -- that were also nicely built but didn't sound 1/2 as good for jazz. The problem with cheap vintage Solid State amps is that they are more often have been beat the heck out of or are dead and in a dumpster. Oh, and some sound like crap!At this point, the survivors often sat in a closet for a long time.

Also, I should mention that a while back I was taking guitar lessons and the amp in the practice room was the el cheapo Fender Frontman 25. I thought it did a pretty decent job -- not amazing, but easy enough to dial into a useable jazz tone.