The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

I find both start buzzing on me after a while. Not badly, but just enough to be a bother. When they're new they don't buzz at all.
    I now use Elixir plain strings with my TI Jazz Swings and don't have this issue. They also last much longer.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Interesting... the only tin plated trebles I have ever seen are on certain sets of Martin Acoustic strings... and I found they mellowed the treble/plain strings... made them sound LESS "tinny". I actually just recently installed a set on one of my acoustics, and my memory of this was verified. I've never heard of them on an electric set, but I am intrigued... for jazzier/warmer tones, anyway....

User Info Menu

Almost all plain strings are tin plated. All are plated with something. Steel rusts quickly, especially when covered in body oils and grunge. You will not find an uncoated plain string from any manufacturer. TI uses both brass and tin, but most manufacturers just use tin, because it's cheap and it works. The plating isn't often mentioned in ad copy nor on the labels, but it's there.