61 34.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 114

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman50
    I like the second guitar a little better than the first one,
    but I still can't find any pricing or specs on any of them.
    I've got a Yamaha SA2200, and I just want a slightly smaller body size.
    I got an Ibanez AM200 - same size as 339. Full jazz tone and beautiful finish-outs all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman50
    The first bottom line everybody has to cross is the cost factor.

Assuming your budget is somewhere around $1500 or a little less,
    I would strongly encourage you to consider the Taylor T3/T3B.
    The B has a factory Bigsby and that's the only difference. You can
    usually find a pre-owned T3B in this price range and for this kind of money,
    you won't find a better guitar on the planet earth, IMO. Very light, and
    has an extremely comfortable neck. Taylor makes excellent quality pups,
    and if you want to change them out, lots of others will fit nicely.

They are ALL made in California, you can reach them by phone easily when
    you have a question, and the build quality is second to none. The body size
    is a little smaller than the ES335 types, and unless you just prefer that
    particular size, the Taylor is an unbeatable selection. I'm 5'7" and I have an
    extremely nice Yamaha SA2200, body size like the 335. I'd trade my Yamaha
    for the right guitar, but not for any 335 type. I don't use the Bigsby, but it's
    there if I want it, and this model also comes as a hardtail.

Best of luck! Check the reviews on YouTube and you can't go wrong. I've been
    playing and collecting for 50+ years, and if we'd had the internet tools 50 years
    ago that we now have, I could have saved a lot of time and money.

Jerry
    A friend of mine just got the Taylor T3B. It is gorgeous and he just loves it. Definitely worth checking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

In case this helps, here's some info about two semi's that I have played extensively.

I play a Comins GCS-1 which is a very nice instrument. I believe it sells for around $1500 with case.

I also played a 2009 or so D'Angelico EXDC, which I heard was designed by Bill Comins. I paid $700 back then. I think they're available used for somewhat less because it's now possible to buy a similar guitar new for less.

Both very good instruments with different pros and cons.

Although the GCS-1 is more money I'm not convinced that, if you did a blindfold test with 100 guitarists, that the GCS-1 would get all the votes. That's not a knock on the GCS-1 at all. I'm happy with it. Rather, it's a compliment to the EXDC, which is a good instrument with its own sound (darker) and a very thick high end.

User Info Menu

So many GR8 suggestions remind me of the movie Amadeus where while trying on wigs Tom Hulce wished he had two heads. Sometimes I wish I had four arms :-)

Speaking of that, on a police show a policeman stopped a guy looking for a suspect with tatts covering his forearms. The officer asked if he would show him his forearms, and the guy said, "I only gots two arms" :-)

Anyway, in recent years I've come to appreciate semi hollow designs more and more. Of the more diminutive sized ones I've played I bought a Heritage Prospect, it's one great little git.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    In case this helps, here's some info about two semi's that I have played extensively.

I play a Comins GCS-1 which is a very nice instrument. I believe it sells for around $1500 with case.

I also played a 2009 or so D'Angelico EXDC, which I heard was designed by Bill Comins. I paid $700 back then. I think they're available used for somewhat less because it's now possible to buy a similar guitar new for less.

Both very good instruments with different pros and cons.

Although the GCS-1 is more money I'm not convinced that, if you did a blindfold test with 100 guitarists, that the GCS-1 would get all the votes. That's not a knock on the GCS-1 at all. I'm happy with it. Rather, it's a compliment to the EXDC, which is a good instrument with its own sound (darker) and a very thick high end.

I have an EX DC which is from the first run of Korean D'Angelicos that they had a big blowout sale of in 2007-ish. I believe mine was made in 2005. I bought it in 2011 on ebay for around $800. This was around the time the Bill Comins D'Angelico-partnership was being touted, and what was in the stores was advertised as his re-design (I distinctly remember they were priced at $1800 at Rudy's). The differences between those (which I tried) and mine are basically cosmetic -- he changed the headstock shape, the inlays, and the volume and tone knobs. Mine has a pressed spruce top, and the Comins one (plus all of them since then) had a laminated maple top, but that may pre-date Comins. From what I understand, the Comins GCS-1 and the Korean D'As are both made by SPG (the old Samick factory taken over by Samick workers a la Heritage/Gibson after Samick moved all their operations out of Korea). To my eyes, the GCS-1 looks like virtually the same guitar as the D'A EX-SS.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Very happy with my Hamer EchoTone -- my third one!
    25 1/4" scale separates the ET from the semi-hollow pack.
    Affordable, sturdy, sharp-looking, and intonated since this pic was taken:

Yes- everybody loves those if they get the longer scale ones which were made better. ( Korea vs . China or Idonesia maybe ? ).

Can you hear the 25.25 scale on neck PU ?
    More note separation in chords etc...?

Also - is there a way to tell the 25.25" scale echotones from just an online pic [Reverb.com etc ]
    OR - the Made in Korea sticker etc?

Some prefer those Echotones to real 335's - is that possible or wishful thinking ? lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    Can you hear the 25.25 scale on neck PU? More note separation in chords etc...?
    For me it's more of a 'feel' than a 'hear.' Maybe a more skilled player than me brings that out more.

Also - is there a way to tell the 25.25" scale echotones from just an online pic?
    Yes there is.

If you look at a 'regular' 24.75" 335 or copy, the bridge is well above the center-notch of the F-hole.

On the 25.25" EchoTone, the bridge is right around the center-notch of the F-hole. The tailpiece is below the center-notch.

OR - the Made in Korea sticker etc?
    There are Korean 24.75" EchoTones. They're have funny-looking F-holes and the bridge is well above the notch.

Some prefer those Echotones to real 335's - is that possible or wishful thinking? lol.
    I live in bang-for-the-buck land. The EchoTone is exactly that. It's a nice guitar and the longer scale suits me. I can't picture ever buying a $x,xxx.xx Gibson ES-335.

User Info Menu

Thanks very much Sam Sherry - I am saving via screen shot your Post about how to ID the 25.25" Echotones.

User Info Menu

have you seen my semi-hollow resource page?

Semi Hollow Resource Page

User Info Menu

whoa jack I'd love to see a hollow body page like that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    whoa jack I'd love to see a hollow body page like that
    I've been thinking about doing that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry

I live in bang-for-the-buck land. The EchoTone is exactly that. It's a nice guitar and the longer scale suits me. I can't picture ever buying a $x,xxx.xx Gibson ES-335.
    Agreed. I see no reason to spend exorbitant amounts of money when you can own a very nice, playable, stage-worthy instrument for under $2K.

I like my Peerless Monarch 16 and my Ibanez AF125 just as much as my Heritage H575 Custom (bought used in Excellent condition for $1900). Of couse, much credit is due to the excellent work done by my highly skilled guitar tech who keeps my guitars in tip-top shape.

User Info Menu

Most recommendations here are for semis that MOST sound like hollowbody guitars.

You should take this as a very big HINT.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Quite by accident, I stumbled across these, from ESP, which are sold under the Edwards brand:

The two I have had the opportunity to inspect both had big fat necks (spec says 43mm | 1.693" wide at nut), something not easy to find in most Gibson ES-335 or comparable guitars from Epiphone, Tokai, Greco, Orville, Ibanez, Yamaha, etceteras. The black one is way off that spec - width at nut is 44.64mm - wider than 1 3/4". I looked around ebay and found what appeared to be identical ones with SA-125LTS, SA-130LTS, SA-145LTS, SA-160LTS designations. The model number appears to correspnd to their list cost in Japan - ¥125,000, ¥130,000, and so forth. There's a higher number series (currently called the SA-180LTC) with ES-355-style trim - lots of binding, ebony board, gold hardware, big block inlays). S probably means "Standard" and C probably means "Custom."

Gotoh hardware, Seymour Duncan pickups (SH-2N or Jazz in neck, and SH-14 in bridge), matte nitro finish, which (as is the case with the black one above) can be buffed up to a nice shine. Things get a bit strange here - this model has SOLID CARVED maple top and back plates, mahogany block, mahogany neck/rosewood board. They are not distributed in the US, and all typically come from Japan. Things get even stranger - they are remarkably inexpensive both new and used.

I read something about how ESP makes the various Edwards models with wood parts fabricated in China in their own factory, and guitars assembled in Japan, but I don't know the details. It doesn't really matter as far as I can tell, because the two I played are superb guitars. The whole thing is just plain inscrutable.

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep an eye out for one of these, 1 3/4 nut with a fat neck is my favourite spec (my 1981 Ibanez AS100 was exactly like that but quite heavy). If the black one was available for sale I would definitely be interested.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by abelljo
    I love the way those 347s look, they beautiful guitars, but the tar back humbuckers that are typically on them are not my cup of tea! Resale value considered that would be the best bet in my opinion.
    I had a nice 347 back in the 80s ...very nice and I loved the coil cut switch ...

Sustained great ...had enough brass on the Guitar to make a Tuba ...heavy in weight ( I care not about weight )

Not quite as airy /woody as some 335s but could have been the pickups ..great for Carltonish stuff ...but had a nice dark tone without rolling off tone and recorded well .

I might appreciate it more now than I did when young ( I used to be young then gradually got older ...lol )

Surprised they are so expensive now used they were formerly a bargain used compared to 335's .
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 04-03-2021 at 08:38 AM.

User Info Menu

I know it's not on the list but I'm hugely impressed with the Ibanez AS153 that I recently bought from Jack Zucker. Been playing it more than my Tele since I got it. Wonderful guitar in all aspects.

User Info Menu

I voted for the ibanez because I have good experience with consistent quality on every price label, from a humble AG75 over an 80s AS50, a recent JSM10 up to my current made-in-Japan GBs.

Another brand to consider is D'Angelico. A friend of mine has an endorsement deal with them and he told me that they are all very good quality.

User Info Menu

I like the sound ot the D`Angelico Excel Mini DC. Here is a video showing singer songwriter Alice Phoebe Lou playing one.

User Info Menu

IMO, if you are only playing jazz the eastman el rey (the older model with one pickup) is at the top of the list. It's neck heavy when standing though so be aware of that. Their 184, 185 and 186 also sound great but more like a smaller 175. The 184 and 185 are neck heavy too.

For several years I used and endorsed the seventy seven exrubato. It's a great axe as well. Not quite as jazzy as the eastmans I mentioned but more versatile.

I also like the gibson 339. That's what I'm currently using.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I also like the gibson 339. That's what I'm currently using.
    Do you like it more than the gibson 335?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    Do you like it more than the gibson 335?
    I do. First of all it's slightly less than 7lbs where most 335s are 9+ lbs. I also think the lighter weight gives it a more hollowbody texture whereas the 335 gives you more of a Les Paul texture. However, the 339 still retains some sustain and power from it's solid body cousins so in many ways it's the best of both worlds.

I also like the size although if you are switching between a full size archtop and the 339, it takes some getting used to. Switching beween the full size archtop and the 335 is a bit easier.

User Info Menu

Not semi hollow but with ML bracing double soundposts..
    Gretsch MIJ Tennessee Rose players edition..

Choosing a Semi-hollow jazz guitar-98ae7fa4-5a1a-4c6f-9a17-b3e7fad2c91c-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I also think the lighter weight gives it a more hollowbody texture whereas the 335 gives you more of a Les Paul texture. r.
    This remark reminds me on another guitar, the Gibson Es 330. Is the Es 330 considered a semi-hollow or just a hollowbody guitar?

User Info Menu

Hollowbody double cut away slimline..
    I always wanted one, Grant Green style..

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    This remark reminds me on another guitar, the Gibson Es 330. Is the Es 330 considered a semi-hollow or just a hollowbody guitar?

User Info Menu

I’ll second the Seventy Seven Exrubato. I have the Jazz model—fully hollow like a 330 but with humbuckers. There was a beautiful used Exrubato Custom on Reverb within the past few days that was well within your budget, but looks like it has sold already—they usually stick around for a long time. I own two Seventy Sevens and can attest to their quality. Looks like there is used Seventy Seven Albatross on Reverb currently. Under your budget, accepting offers. See if it checks enough of your boxes to consider.