The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I saw a git in the local Craig's list at a reasonable price that I had to have. It needed a lot of attention. The frets were so proud they could cut your hand sliding up the neck, the electronics were a mess, "clearly" the PO (or his "tech") had no idea what they were doing.

He was embarrassed about the name (Caraya) on the head, so he removed that. Why I don't know... "clearly" it's not a Fender :-)

The body was terribly scratched, but after some buffing, fret edge filing, re-wiring, pup replacement / attention it's a pretty nice but heavy (~13+ lbs) git. I don't play it standing so the weight is no issue but it's a lot of fun to play.

I wonder what skeletons others have in their git closet?

Your heaviest / biggest / smallest, oddest fun to have or play guitar-clear_strat_f-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nothing quite that odd, but I have a Danelectro DC, one of the first run of reissues from the late 90's. It's a very quirky instrument, very true to the originals in that aspect. It doesn't have much of a place in most of the music I do now, but when I want it's sound, well...there's nothing like it. Here it is, sounding pretty jazzy, in a modern, reverby way...

User Info Menu

Speaking of Danos I purchased one of the first 56 U2 models when they came out. Used and use it for slide - has a very distinct sound.
    Then I have a (most probably ) chinese made PRS knock-off that we bought for our daughter to learn and play and when she finally gave up I adopted it. I use it mainly for lessons so I don't have to carry a guitar to the school but actually it's a very fine guitar with a nice fat round neck, excellent fret work (low action) and even the pickups sound so good that I wouldn't consider changing them. Cost only @ € 200,-

Last edited by TOMMO; 03-28-2017 at 12:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's two of my cheapest/most fun guitars:

Squier "Mini Strat" . $85. 23 3/4" scale neck. It plays good, sounds like a good strat, and fits on the smallest airplane. A great alternative to those overpriced travel guitars.

Teisco EP-6 from the 1960s. $120....I replaced the bridge and got a nice $40 neck on Ebay and now it plays well and stays in tune. And most of all, it looks cool! It came with a whammy bar that's about a foot long, which I sensibly removed. This is my Mexico beach guitar...
    Last edited by Gilpy; 03-28-2017 at 01:11 PM.

User Info Menu

My favourite fun guitar is my Squier Bass VI. It's obscenely cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    My favourite fun guitar is my Squier Bass VI. It's obscenely cool.
    C'mon! Pics or video!

BassVI= COOL.

User Info Menu

Nothing that odd. My Jerry Jones 2 pickup baritone guitar does fit the bill. No one (in bands) knows what to make of this instrument. The reaction is much like you'd expect from bringing in bagpipes. Meanwhile, it one of the best playing and sounding electric guitars I've yet encountered. A total joy to play.

MD

User Info Menu

I don't have it any more, I gave it away, but this old Squier Affinity was eighty of the best dollars I ever spent on an instrument. Decent (if floaty) neck with a shape I love; good, meaty pickups; level frets, even!

Not really quirky, but it did the Strat thing as well as you can ask for at that price.

Your heaviest / biggest / smallest, oddest fun to have or play guitar-2ed780p-jpg

User Info Menu

My first gigging guitar, Epiphone Scroll. All maple, stop bridge/tailpiece, coil splitters, 24 fret neck. Weighed a ton.

I thought it was the shizzle, played it till everything wore out, frets, pots, tuners. Retired it and still have it. Stole pic from the interweb.

User Info Menu

This is definitely the lightest guitar that I have, and is perfect for those with back problems. Triff TheBone stage 300 MIDI. Does everything from cool neck pup sounds to strat imitation on both, to classic rock or country on the bridge pup. The midi tracking is not as good as my Godin, and I have it set up for straight electric sounds. But great fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Nothing quite that odd, but I have a Danelectro DC, one of the first run of reissues from the late 90's. It's a very quirky instrument, very true to the originals in that aspect. It doesn't have much of a place in most of the music I do now, but when I want it's sound, well...there's nothing like it. Here it is, sounding pretty jazzy, in a modern, reverby way...

Mr.Beaumont,I had one of the guitar/amp in a case models years ago.But she didn't sound anywhere as nice as yours.Nice video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    My first gigging guitar, Epiphone Scroll. All maple, stop bridge/tailpiece, coil splitters, 24 fret neck. Weighed a ton.

I thought it was the shizzle, played it till everything wore out, frets, pots, tuners. Retired it and still have it. Stole pic from the interweb.

Oh man, that's cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    Mr.Beaumont,I had one of the guitar/amp in a case models years ago.But she didn't sound anywhere as nice as yours.Nice video.
    Thanks. I actually just brought this guitar to stash in my office, as I've been playing a lot of nylon string and wanted to bring my nylon beater home. So y'all going to be seeing a lot more Dano when I make my lunchtime videos

User Info Menu

Here's a guitar that doesn't exist, so to speak... I've wanted a lefty Teisco "Tulip" ET-200 but they didn't make them lefty. So I made my own. This one is not only lefty, it has four Teisco pickups (none of the Tulips had four pickups), is Shoreline Gold with mostly gold appointments, and a righty ala Jimi Hendrix headstock. It even has a strange modified lefty whammy bar. I call it GoldFinger model ET-400L (a model which did not exist in the Teisco lineup). I use it with my Rocksteady Reggae band when I'm not tinkering with vintage jazz tunes.

Your heaviest / biggest / smallest, oddest fun to have or play guitar-lefty-teisco-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    Here's a guitar that doesn't exist, so to speak... I've wanted a lefty Teisco "Tulip" ET-200 but they didn't make them lefty. So I made my own. This one is not only lefty, it has four Teisco pickups (none of the Tulips had four pickups), is Shoreline Gold with mostly gold appointments, and a righty ala Jimi Hendrix headstock. It even has a strange modified lefty whammy bar. I call it GoldFinger model ET-400L (a model which did not exist in the Teisco lineup). I use it with my Rocksteady Reggae band when I'm not tinkering with vintage jazz tunes.

Your heaviest / biggest / smallest, oddest fun to have or play guitar-lefty-teisco-jpg
    That is an amazing ... creation! What all does it sound like?

Stumbling fingers still need love ...

User Info Menu

I had a Sekova LP Custom ... an LP cheap knockoff from Japan of late 60's early 70's "vintage". The body was actually mostly chipboard with a black sort of molded plastic black cover that looked great. The neck was pretty awesome, you could set the strings way low and get nary a buzz. The pickups were rasty, so I ended up setting the action high and using it totally for slide work in rock and blues. Thing weighed like half again a typical Les Paul.

Last edited by R Neil; 03-30-2017 at 01:25 PM.

User Info Menu

That was the shizzle! Great looking piece.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    That was the shizzle! Great looking piece.
    Playing it was awesome. Listening to it, um ... not-so. Kept trying to figure out an amp and settings. If I still had it, I'd change out the cheap tone harness then probably the pups. Sweet as the neck was, as long as you were sitting the around 10 pounds or so weren't all that bad ... if it had sounded as good as it looked and felt.

joaopaz Guest
    A few years ago I was looking for an inexpensive LP clone. I was absolutely fascinated with Ulf Wakenius tone ... on his LP clone. Every reason is valid to acquire a new guitar.

One day I spotted one on a local list, an absolute wreck. But I was hooked as soon as layed my eyes on it. I called the guy and we met the same night; we settled for 75 Eur .... that was a lot of money. When I saw it, it was even worse than on the pics. The nut looked like it was taken from a classical guitar, coming out some good 3mm on each side. The strings were a pile of rust and the guy had tried to tune them all to the same note.

I brought it home and took it to a guitar tech. The guy broke part of the headstock when fitting a new set of tuners. And basically did a bad job on it. I took it to another luthier, a well known guy in my area. (Long story) and it took me almost a year to get my guitar back (don't ask). Another crack on the headstock, but aside that part he did a very nice job on the guitar.

The guitar got a fingerboard level, plus a complete refret, and a new wiring. I asked for the old pickups and pots to stay in.

It was a complete odyssey but when it finally ended (and I spent more on this guitar than I'd care to say) it quickly became one of my favorite guitars. The guitar has a lot against it - it's a bolt on (on an LP), the body is made of some sort of conglomerated wood, and then there's a kind of thick plastic acting as paint... - but the fact is that she sounds gorgeous.

It seems to have been built in Japan in the mid 70s. The brand a general one ... "Sound" ... but I like it You can imagine how hard is it to find info a guitar branded as "sound"!

It's one of my favorite guitars, to this day..

This is how I got it.
    Your heaviest / biggest / smallest, oddest fun to have or play guitar-pa080015-jpgYour heaviest / biggest / smallest, oddest fun to have or play guitar-pa080039-jpgYour heaviest / biggest / smallest, oddest fun to have or play guitar-pa080001-jpgYour heaviest / biggest / smallest, oddest fun to have or play guitar-pa080012-jpgYour heaviest / biggest / smallest, oddest fun to have or play guitar-pa080046-jpg

Afterwards...

Your heaviest / biggest / smallest, oddest fun to have or play guitar-img_20140824_162820-jpgYour heaviest / biggest / smallest, oddest fun to have or play guitar-img_20140824_162851-jpgYour heaviest / biggest / smallest, oddest fun to have or play guitar-img_20140824_162805-jpg

User Info Menu

That looks an awful lot like that old Sekova I had, different inlay in the headstock and different name is about it. The finish looks like that thick plastic over composite wood-product body. Enjoy!

Mine had a great neck.

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by R Neil
    That looks an awful lot like that old Sekova I had, different inlay in the headstock and different name is about it. The finish looks like that thick plastic over composite wood-product body. Enjoy!

Mine had a great neck.

That was fun :-) Find these 2 just a couple of posts apart!
    Just read your post and the body is exactly the same thing. Fingerboard looks very familiar, too...
    And mine has also a great neck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joaopaz
    That was fun :-) Find these 2 just a couple of posts apart!
    Just read your post and the body is exactly the same thing. Fingerboard looks very familiar, too...
    And mine has also a great neck!
    As noted, if I had kept for a bit longer to a wiser stage of life, I would have replaced the tone harness and perhaps the pups rather than sold it. That neck was one of the sweetest I've played.

An acquaintance had a beautiful burst LP, probably around a '68, and a mid-60's SG. The Sekova neck was as fast or faster to play, the strings were very low and frets perfect and both bending and vibrato effortless.

Just couldn't get a sound I liked. Strings set high and used with a glass slide and distortion it did ok for rock/blues slide. When I stopped needing that, I sold it keeping my Tele.

I have thought over the last few years that I wish I'd kept it and worked it over. Bet with the right pots, caps, and pups it would have been great.