The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 71 of 71

User Info Menu

I'm switching between three or four these days. In Winter three, in Summer one more because for outdoor playing especially in locations not known well beforehand i prefer to take a less expensive instrument. And rarely, like once or a couple of times a year i use a fifth.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    I practice on a small parlor acoustic or my Epi ES 175 Premium on my front porch when the weather is nice.
    That situation is one of my favorite uses for guitar.
    Oh yeah. I'll sit on my porch, or under the mesquite tree at the top of my driveway, and, as I put it, jam with the birds. I live a ways out in the country and with only a couple of neighbors it's very quiet, which the birds love. And when I play, they seem to sing a little more. I know it does me good.

Here's the view from my porch, taken about a year ago at sunset.

User Info Menu

Just the one, an Ibanez Artcore AF85 VLS from 2002 or 2003.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    How many guitars do you actively play?
    Both

User Info Menu

I have three Tenors; the Harmony H1252T, Kalamazoo Flat top, and Martin 170-T. Certain music lends it's self to each one, so I guess it just depends on that. Last Sunday the Trio I'm in played more Rock/Bluesy tunes, with a couple of Swing style tunes; My Harmony Archtone and Bat Wing Mando was just perfect for those Tunes.

User Info Menu

Just my 3 Teles - 1.) Squier that I just got, 2.) semi - hollow 'jazz' Tele that I built awhile back, 3.) 'surf' Tele (Tele with Strat trem) that I built. The Squier gets most of the playing out with the 'surf' version second - the 'jazz' Tele stays at home. Oh, and my Cordoba GK Studio is my couch guitar - I use it mostly for figuring out changes and arranging. I've found that I can cover any and all bases with these four. Used to have a Martin OM 18v but sold it after it sat in it's case for 6 months without being played - I just don't have an opportunity to play acoustic music and can't afford to have the $$$ tied up in something that I don't play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Definitely.

My tele has .012''s on it now, with the E and B from a set of .013's...the warmoth boat neck is so stable, I have the action under 1.5mm at the 12th fret, with no buzzes. I can lplay the guitar with all left hand hammers...it's literally almost effortless to fret.

Still, I like having a few guitars that fight a little too...inspires a different sort of playing, which I like.
    1.5mm?? Wow. That comes in handy for those bagpipe sounds.. And it spoils the heck of you too.
    Joe D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    1.5mm?? Wow. That comes in handy for those bagpipe sounds.. And it spoils the heck of you too.
    Joe D.
    Yeah, sometimes I think about getting a humbucker in the bridge and going all "legato shred madness."

Then I sober up

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    then putting aside the guitar entirely, and playing it on bassoon!

cheers
    I am fond of that general idea and bought this: Amazon.com: Yamaha P37D 37-Note Pianica Keyboard Wind Instrument: Musical Instruments

User Info Menu

So I have 3 acoustics, 3 solid fender types, 1bass, 1 semi and 1 hollow.

When I'm playing in me band it's the Squier Mascis Jazzmaster, at home it's rotated between Squier jazz Tele and Epi Emp Reg.

When I'm off on me jollys it's me Go Guitar traveller.

At the moment I'm having a hoot with swapping out the pickups on the Epi Emp Reg.

Did I mention the 6 broken guitars I'm frankensteining at the moment?
    Fixed up a Japanese Aria acoustic that will be donated to my local pub. That's a real hoot to play too.

User Info Menu

Actively, or non-actively, I can play only 1 at the same time

Thats why I have only 1 guitar. And because of lack of money...

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    I test how well I learned a tune by playing it on ten different guitars (with different tunings and/or strings).

Interesting approach. It does seem that I tend to have a blank spot in my mind sometimes when I go to play at tune I often play, when I try to play it on a guitar that I do not normally use.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Does anyone have some guitars that are just so easy to play that you feel like you're cheating when you're playing them? I feel that way with my Eastman T186SM. When I play it for too long, I feel guilty and play an acoustic archtop with heavy strings for a while.
    Yes, it's my L7C reissue freshly refretted and it sounds and plays like a dream...
    I keep it hidden away and pull it out when I want to again gauge how sweet it is.

My other main rig is my Triggs Special, which is harder to play, (L7C plays itself) doesn't have the
    same clear/crisp/clean sound (I play 90% acoustically) of the L7c (which I now refer to as Rambo)
    but the overall aesthetic appeal of the Triggs is intoxicating.

User Info Menu

Six, all Gibsons, same philosophy as JD all Gibson Archtops
    played in rotation , very similar neck configurations. Tho'
    different scale lengths. Presently fighting the temptaion
    to acquire another , guess I need guitar rehab.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    guess I need guitar rehab.
    I have six all different guitars .. and I never seem to play them

User Info Menu

Vintage 1974 Telecaster Custom for blues/rock/funk (incidently) and a 1948 Gibson L-7 with a 50's DeArmond RC model 1000 for my main playing which is jazz. In fact that's all I need. I had a 1961 ES-125TC to fill the gap between the tele and the L-7 but coudn't accustom to the different scale and pickup etc. So I sold it. I'm glad I did. Also no ruminating over which guitar to pick for a jazz gig. At loud gigs I recon a jazz box with a maple top and/or mounted pu would be better but it's good enough for now.

User Info Menu

I've played solid body guitars for 40 years. Last June I purchased a 2012 Gibson Es 175. It's now the only guitar I play.

User Info Menu

I used to keep several guitars within easy reach and play them rather randomly. But the past couple of years I've been keeping only two or three handy, rotating one in and out of the cycle every week or two. By sticking to one instrument for a few days I get a better connection to that specific instrument and experiment with how to get interesting tones and effects out of it. After a few days it's nice to pull out an instrument I haven't played for a while and go through the reacquaintance process again. I think of it as having multiple girlfriends.

Lately, I keep a nylon string handy nearly all the time and rotate in various archtops. I've now got my Dearmond X-155 out (an instrument I thought I'd lost interest in) and am surprised how great it sounds and plays when dialed in properly. I've given my solid bodies a rest, but I'll probably rotate in a Tele soon. Maybe I'll try bumping up the string gauge and tuning it down for solo work.
    Last edited by KirkP; 03-29-2017 at 01:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Archtops.. flat tops.. semi's.. solids.. bass.. travel. Acoustic amp setups, tube amps, PA's, loopers, chorus, EQ, reverb.. mic's and laptops and interfaces and recording software. All of it fun to spend time with.

Moving cross country so I counted: 27. There are a few I haven't played in awhile. There are a few that seem endlessly under construction. Realistically I could drop to quite a few less but I enjoy pulling out a guitar I haven't played in awhile and spending a few days with it. So yes. I play and work on most of my guitars and dabble with most of the gear strewn about the place. It's a great pleasure.

User Info Menu

One - 99.9% of the time I play my Huss & Dalton CM
    1% of the time I travel with my Voyage air.

The other four I own are all very nice and different , but each has some reason that I don't play for long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Five guitars get regular use; another ten get dabbled with. The remaining 20 guitars have to take a number and wait. Some have been waiting a long time...