The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 71

User Info Menu

While I have around 10 or so instruments (not all 6-string guitars), I'm usually only playing one or two over a period of several weeks. All depends on what I'm working on at the time. But it's usually the archtop, the semi, or the nylon.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Four,

a week at a time each....

User Info Menu

i play as many as are handy...two hands..so 10 are out and about...within immediate reach...probably hit 8 of 'em in last 2 weeks

gotta go play the other two! before neglect sinks in! haha

cheers

ps- often debate the question of whether it's better to seek the inspiration that many different guitars can bring... or better to become one with one...

alas, too late for the latter...

cheers

User Info Menu

The ideal of bonding with one guitar is nice, and a good thing (don't get me wrong) but if playing more than one guitar brings happiness and doesn't affect the ability to play what you need to professionally or otherwise then go for it. Polyamory is something most people don't do so might as well do it with guitars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

well i think theres always a slight "re"learning curve when switching between guitars..different scale lengths and setups alone!...i think of jim hall with his es-175..for years!!..hard to beat..but the blasted things (guitars) are so dang sweet, how can one resist..more more more...haha

another question being, how come with a myriad of guitars one can still wind up with their own "signature tone"..i've often said the only guitar i don't like is one that i can't get "my" tone out of..and i haven't come across many!

cheers

User Info Menu

I test how well I learned a tune by playing it on ten different guitars (with different tunings and/or strings).

User Info Menu

When ambitious I play them alternately in no particular order :

• 000 Resonator
    • Dread Steel
    • 000 Nylon
    • Electric - Midi - Acoustic - Electric
    • Ukulele

Why else would you want a guitar if you play ?

I'm not a collector per-see , but in a average two week period
    it's my nylon and resonator , but that's not set in stone , I can go through
    them all in a two week timetable , especially if I have different guitar
    players coming by during that time table .

EZ :

HR

Last edited by Hurricane Ramon; 03-27-2017 at 05:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    I test how well I learned a tune by playing it on ten different guitars (with different tunings and/or strings).
    then putting aside the guitar entirely, and playing it on bassoon!

cheers

User Info Menu

Give me the Harem, the old Sultan’s Harem,
    That’s the only thing I crave.
    The Sultan’s too old, for he’s past eighty-three,
    And his thousand wives need a fellow like me.
    I’ll never beat them, with kindness I’ll treat them,
    And all that I ask is a trial;
    Imagine me sitting on a carpeted floor,
    Telling my slave to bring me wife "Ninety Four."
    l'll be so gallant, I’m chucked full of talent,
    Won’t you give that Harem to me?

Or:

I spoke to the Sultan's favorite wife
    Before I fled
    I asked her how she liked harem life
    Here's what she said
    [Refrain:]
    Living in a harem, what a life
    Ne'er a thought of care or strife

Waiting on the Sultan night and day
    Ever ready to obey

He keeps me dancing morning, noon and night
    Dancing fills 'im with delight

I am black and blue from the dance I do
    But outside of that ev'ry little thing's all right

So, there is/are the
    Kadin or "principal wife".
    Haseki Sultan or "single favorite".
    Other Haseki or "favorites".
    Ikbal or "actually highly favored sleeping mate".
    Gözde or "favorite who's got the sultan's hanky".
    Odalisques or "court ladies".
    Harem girls.
    Peon women.

An Evil Empire?
    Certainly not. I'm convinced that guitars are looking for their owners, and sometimes they dominate and play actively on the latter, not the other way round.

User Info Menu

Two. I have 12. Mainly one. ES-355. But when I teach our or play acoustic it's my Taylor CE-414

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Three. Most of the time my archtop made by forum member Matt Cushman, alternating with a Tele made from a body and Biltoft CC from forumite Skip Ellis and a Warmoth neck and a Frankenstrat I put together many years ago.

User Info Menu

This use to be issue for me but no more.
    I reduced my guitars down to 5. At some point in the future there will another 1 or 2, but I will play them all. The trick for me is to play guitars with similar necks. My hands are comfortable so I grab any and all of them. Also I hang them either on stringswingers or hanging wall display cases. So they are always right there for me.
    JD

User Info Menu

For me it's weather related. I tend to have more guitars out of their cases in mild weather and keep them in the cases during the winter so they don't dry out. I've been playing one or two guitars all winter, but I'm looking forward to setting a few more free.

Love those free range guitars!
    Last edited by Jonathan0996; 03-27-2017 at 10:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    This use to be issue for me but no more.
    I reduced my guitars down to 5. At some point in the future there will another 1 or 2, but I will play them all. The trick for me is to play guitars with similar necks. My hands are comfortable so I grab any and all of them. Also I hang them either on stringswingers or hanging wall display cases. So they are always right there for me.
    JD
    I am almost about there Max405, and not too far from it. If I have 2-3 in cases that doesn't bother me.

Similar necks is good, but I find that I can only go as far as similar scale lengths and nut widths. From there it is kind of a crapshoot unless you do a spec-built to get the radius, frets, rear profile, etc. that you are looking for. I am kind of intrigued at the possibilities for custom made archtop but that is another subject altogether.

With my limited wood shaping skills (and time+$ commitments) I chose to do partscasters (my big three - Tele, Strat, Jazzmaster) with pre fab necks and bodies. The level of preciseness that you can specify and quality in material and workmanship from the many current part makers is outstanding.

For some reason(s) I tend to pick up my solid body partscasters that I have assembled to my own specs (within the particular model) more than the other factory/hand built guitars that I have. BTW, I am a big believer that jazz can be played on kitchen pots and pans let alone solid body electric guitars. However, I do rotate the others in and I enjoy doing that as well. There is nothing like playing hollow body archtops.

User Info Menu

Well, I use the "rule of two", except when the "rule of three" applies.
    The "rule of two" means that for each style that I have to teach/play, I need to have two guitars specifically for that purpose.
    e.g. if a student is working on a "classic rock" tune, I need to be able to demonstrate on both a Gibsony and a Fendery type guitar.
    Unfortunately, this often requires more than one single coil type guitar. After all, I can't demonstrate a Strat type sound with a Tele, hence the "rule of three".
    The same applies to LP versus 335-ish tunes/tones!
    I'm pretty settled on the Jazz front. Have both an archie and a jazz specific Tele... unless I get an acoustic jazz gig and need a carved top...
    Uh, sorry, I have to go check Reverb...

User Info Menu

I play my dreadnought once a week at my favorite acoustic jam. It's my loudest guitar, so that's always my best choice there.

I practice on a small parlor acoustic or my Epi ES 175 Premium on my front porch when the weather is nice.
    That situation is one of my favorite uses for guitar.

The Epi 175 also gets used for electric amplified practice, but more often I'll use the Eastman Pisano for that.

Then there's the L-7 that pretty much kicks everything else's a$$, but I don't always want to take it outside . . .

so that's the rotation. I guess that's 5 guitars.

My lovely strat is sitting in the side lines at the moment.
    No tele in the line up currently. But that could all change on a moment's notice!

And it looks like I could get rid of a couple of other guitars if I was so motivated.

User Info Menu

Does anyone have some guitars that are just so easy to play that you feel like you're cheating when you're playing them? I feel that way with my Eastman T186SM. When I play it for too long, I feel guilty and play an acoustic archtop with heavy strings for a while.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Does anyone have some guitars that are just so easy to play that you feel like you're cheating when you're playing them? I feel that way with my Eastman T186SM. When I play it for too long, I feel guilty and play an acoustic archtop with heavy strings for a while.
    Definitely.

My tele has .012''s on it now, with the E and B from a set of .013's...the warmoth boat neck is so stable, I have the action under 1.5mm at the 12th fret, with no buzzes. I can lplay the guitar with all left hand hammers...it's literally almost effortless to fret.

Still, I like having a few guitars that fight a little too...inspires a different sort of playing, which I like.

User Info Menu

I tend to go between a Gretsch Synchromatic G400 with CC pickup, a 73 Les Paul Recording and my Telecaster. Pretty much any sound I want I can get from one of those three.

There are other guitars such as my Greco 175 copy and a 1958 Hofner Senator, however they rarely get played. The Hofner is a fantastic gypsy jazz guitar; just as loud as the Selmer style guitars. The Greco is great too, but I don't really like humbuckers much.

User Info Menu

I've got a half-dozen out at the moment. It's still the heating season, so they are the built-like-tanks group. The '86 PRS Custom 24, the '66 Custom Telecaster, a T-type; the Ibanez AFJ85, the mid-'30s Kalamazoo, the mid--'30s Washburn. The K'zoo & the Washburn are both luthier-bound for restorative work. The AFJ85 will be replaced by the ES-175 currently hibernating. the T-type is likewise being serially tweaked, having just received a 5-way switch to manage its 3 pups, and shielding, it's due for a new nut and a little fret-sprout surgery, and one or two little things. The PRS is the Golden Child and stays nearby at all times.

As the days get longer and more humid, the sleepers will awake. The Martins will come out, and the Guild 12-string, the semi-s and the archtops and the others. The bell-brass-bodied Dobro 33H will resume its role as King of the Porch, immune as it is to sweat and stray cigar ash, so cool to hold, and sooo much fun to play. They will all be played. and savored, and attended to, as needed.

And knowing myself as I do, one or two more might join the family. You never know.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 03-28-2017 at 12:56 AM. Reason: tweaks

User Info Menu

I'm playing in 3 bands and I'm finding a tele is the do-it-all guitar that gets all the use. I'm playing a wide spectrum of music and the tele is so easy to dial up the sound I need, and it's so darn playable.

I recently got my first hollow-body archtop in decades, hoping to put it into rotation with big bands and some Americana, but still, in a group context, nothing beats how easy a tele fits in and sounds great.

User Info Menu

As purely a hobbyist, what and when I play varies only according to my mood. Midweek, I have 5 guitars to choose from: a flat-top, a nylon string, a Maccaferi-style, an archtop and a thin-line semi-hollow. At the moment the Gypsy guitar is seeing the least action, but during a 2 week period, the other 4 will probably be picked up at least 3 or 4 times. Over the last year or so, I have probably played the archtop the most, as I strive to learn some chord melody (and then give up after 30 minutes to blow single lines over standards backing tracks).

My weekend guitar is a Martin 000 (the cheap formica and plywood one), which has to substitute for the other 5.

User Info Menu

I have 18 guitars and play them all. I try to rotate them on gigs.

User Info Menu

Pretty much just one, my esquired Yamaha M. Stern tele. One guitar, one pickup, one volume pot.

I have a couple of more, but they don't see almost any playing currently and I'm trying to move them so that I can maybe get something else to replace them - maybe a hollow body of some sorts, being a jazz fan (and a member of this forum ) after all.

...and I'm assembling a parts tele to be a backup / alternative for the main tele.

User Info Menu

6: 4 electrics and 2 acoustics. I switch to a different electric every couple of days and each day I tend to play both acoustic and electric. If something doesn't get played for an extended period, out the door it goes. As others have mentioned, all my guitars are different (Tele, Dot, SG, Rev Jetstream, cutaway electroacoustic dread, parlor) and I like the idea of switching away from a guitar before it starts to get boring.