The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

There are several great videos of Julian Lage playing a telecaster. I thought this one might interest fellow board members as he is playing solo guitar jazz standard "Darn that Dream". The great thing about a telecaster is most any model / pickup configuration sounds great... different but yet similar at the same time.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

It's a Nachocaster

Nachoguitars | JL #0082

I believe in this video he is playing through a Fender Champ and some kind of reverb device. Really nice sound with just a touch of breakup and great playing.

User Info Menu

It looks like a JC120 behind him in the first video ?

User Info Menu

At the level Julian plays today, any guitar is great.

User Info Menu

Love that neck p/u tele sound. Tone knob roll off and on is so effective, when you have a good neck p/u.
    MD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    At the level Julian plays today, any guitar is great.
    even a 10$ guitar would play like a manzer in his hands

User Info Menu

Just saw him a couple of weeks ago, great band as well. He used a Tele for the entire evening, but I thought it was a danocaster with Rolphs. Could have been the nacho as well

Telecaster - bright jazz tone -- video Julian Lage-img_3283-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    Just saw him a couple of weeks ago, great band as well. He used a Tele for the entire evening, but I thought it was a danocaster with Rolphs. Could have been the nacho as well

Telecaster - bright jazz tone -- video Julian Lage-img_3283-jpg
    His danocaster is lighter finish (here played by Margaret) as is his refin '54. So I'm guessing the nacho.

User Info Menu

Julian's story behind why he's had a lifelong affinity for the tele is fun-- everybody know it?

User Info Menu

Premier Guitar did a "rig run down" on Glaspy and she said the Dano is pretty much hers now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Julian's story behind why he's had a lifelong affinity for the tele is fun-- everybody know it?
    Why no, Mr. Beaumont, not everyone does. Pray do tell.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Why no, Mr. Beaumont, not everyone does. Pray do tell.

John

When he was a kid, his dad, I believe, had a big poster of Springsteen's "Born to Run," and he cut out the guitar and put it on cardboard for lil Julian to play with.

There's just nothing like a good tele

User Info Menu

good thing (for him) his dad didn't have this poster up! haha

Telecaster - bright jazz tone -- video Julian Lage-564b65e64bb8ff7f7f8d0d2c20b20630-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    When he was a kid, his dad, I believe, had a big poster of Springsteen's "Born to Run," and he cut out the guitar and put it on cardboard for lil Julian to play with.

There's just nothing like a good tele
    Was that regular cardboard or swamp cardboard? How does it compare to alder?

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    Love that neck p/u tele sound. Tone knob roll off and on is so effective, when you have a good neck p/u.
    MD
    >We take it for granted that he's using the front pick up but I can't quite verify the position of the switch.Check out both videos and see if you might agree with me that he's in the middle position?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    >We take it for granted that he's using the front pick up but I can't quite verify the position of the switch.Check out both videos and see if you might agree with me that he's in the middle position?
    Difficult question .. If his '54 in the persian rug vid still has the vintage wiring then middle position is neck only.

User Info Menu

Would you have an idea what kinf of strings he uses?
    Roundwounds or flats?
    I have a really great Ltd Edition HH 2014 Telecaster and it is a marvel for jazz just with 10-46 d'Addarios roundwounds .
    I'm about to change the strings, and wonder what would suit it for that kind of sound Julian Lage gets

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Would you have an idea what kinf of strings he uses?
    Roundwounds or flats?
    I have a really great Ltd Edition HH 2014 Telecaster and it is a marvel for jazz just with 10-46 d'Addarios roundwounds .
    I'm about to change the strings, and wonder what would suit it for that kind of sound Julian Lage gets
    D'Addario Strings : Artist Details : Julian Lage

User Info Menu

12s?

User Info Menu

Oh thanks for the link
    Funny because that was the exact ones I was thinking of.
    But is it what he uses on Telecasters, since the articles is on an acoustic album?

User Info Menu

I dont remember where I saw it, but pretty sure I've read somewhere that Julian uses rounds on his tele and they are 11s.

User Info Menu

d'Addario .012 Phosphor bronze for acoustic:

Julian Lage | Vintage Guitar(R) magazine

The tale of the Tele, which also mentions D'Addario EJ-21 jazz lights (.012):

Julian Lage: Surrender to the Twang | Premier Guitar

User Info Menu

Lol. He's got some Chuck Berry and
    Rockabilly licks in there.

Cool that he can play around in a fun way like that.

Fender Champs especially into a larger speaker always sound good.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 03-22-2017 at 07:28 AM.