The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    Jim Triggs is a great guitar maker. He's very accomodating to customer wishes. His prices are more reasonable than one would expect from a builder of his status. He's one of the few who makes a 19" archtop on request. I have one too - which I have set up for 4-to-the-bar rhythm playing with high action and all. Many here have seen it before, but there may be some newcomers to the site:

AJL from Finland makes nice looking 19" guitars as well:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oldane,
    Oh wow that's beautiful.
    I'd have to climb on it to play it, but it would be worth the trek!

Jim Triggs is a great guitar maker. He's very accomodating to customer wishes. His prices are more reasonable than one would expect from a builder of his status. He's one of the few who makes a 19" archtop on request. I have one too - which I have set up for 4-to-the-bar rhythm playing with high action and all. Many here have seen it before, but there may be some newcomers to the site:

User Info Menu

So do we call that a Super 500? A Hyper-400? Über 400? ;-)

The only thing that I don't really like on this 1991 L5 is the tailpiece in metal and wood.
    Probably I prefer the classic only metal one.
    I know that the most important thing is the sound of the guitar, but I think that the look is important to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by louisguitar
    The only thing that I don't really like on this 1991 L5 is the tailpiece in metal and wood.
    I know that the most important thing is the sound of the guitar, but I think that the look is important to.
    Yeah .. for that kind of money you need to like the looks of the guitar ...

But I kind of like that tail piece

Enjoy the hunt ... that's part of the fun!!!

User Info Menu

^

That is basically what I was going to say. Pretend you know nothing about either and see which one plays, sounds better and calls to you more. I would also love to see some pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some people say that the silver plated insert of the tailpiece become tarnished badly, so the wood one can be better.
    But I don't know why Gibson made it for a little period only.

We can make a new thread on the L5's tailpiece.

User Info Menu

The wood medallion with the MoPearl inlay only appeared in that era. Unique. The silverplated medallion turns black: silver sulphide.

I won't let it hold me back. Worth a drive to check it out or you could have the one in Berkshire, UK. Longer drive though...

User Info Menu

yeah, I had a couple blondies from that era w/that t.p. and didn't like them.
    but they're long gone now so....

There's another guy that sell an exceptional condition 71/72 L5 sunburst with embossed pickups, the maple is almost plain like many examples of this period.
    I don't know if the knobs are original.

thi is the link:

GIBSON L5 CES 1970-1972 (EMBOSSED PICKUP COVERS) - #4719401 - su Mercatino Musicale in Chitarre Semiacustiche

User Info Menu

The wood insert will never tarnish like the silver plated brass ones do. The silver ones don't stay nice and shiny for long. The old ones seem to get a whitish corrosion on them while the newer ones turn a dark blotchy grey.
    Yes when those inserts are new they shine like chrome. Really nice looking with the gold tailpiece. Oozes class but when they tarnish then the ebony looks better IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So do we call that a Super 500? A Hyper-400? Über 400? ;-)
    Elmer Stromberg (who made the guitars this one is modelled after) called it Master 400 (or 300 depending on the trim).

BTW, despite the seemingly obvious, it's not so uncomfortable to play because of the normal size upper bout and waist (like an Epiphone Emperor but different from a Gibson Super 400). Besides it was big band guitarists who used these big instruments back then and they often held it in a more horizontal position like Freddie Green (I do too) where all the opulence is out of the way to the right of the players the right arm.
    Last edited by oldane; 03-20-2017 at 06:36 AM.

User Info Menu

My big boy guitar - the body is 18 3/4" wide, 22 3/4" long; the rims are 3" deep; and the neck has a 24 3/4" scale:

Last edited by Hammertone; 03-20-2017 at 11:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    My big boy guitar - 18 1/2" wide:

I love that one - whatever it is.

Awesome guitar, really cool, but the dimensions are very great.
    I don't know if I can play it, I am only 66,5 inches.
    For curiosity, in your opinion which L'5 tailpiece cost more, the one all metal or the other whit engraved wood?

User Info Menu

I love that one - whatever it is.
    After researching it for a couple of years, I have concluded that it was built by J. G. Abbott (probably by John Sr. as opposed to John Jr.) in the 1930s, in England, and was subsequently rebuilt/refinished @1980, at which time it was electrified. Abbott Victor/Aristone/etc. - another previously lost example of interesting non-American archtops. Thank you, internet. Also, I measured the body length and re-measured the width, and added updated/corrected information above.

To the OP, I'd play the two L-5CES guitars in question and pick whichever one feels and sounds better.
    I suspect that the @25-year-old, unplayed 1991 L-5CES built under Triggs may be the one.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-20-2017 at 11:50 AM.

User Info Menu

There's another guy that sell an exceptional condition 71/72 L5 sunburst with embossed pickups, the maple is almost plain like many examples of this period.
    I don't know if the knobs are original.

thi is the link:

GIBSON L5 CES 1970-1972 (EMBOSSED PICKUP COVERS) - #4719401 - su Mercatino Musicale in Chitarre Semiacustiche
    How strange, i have one with embossed pickups, but in many ways it is different to the one advertised. On mine the tailpiece and headstock veneer are of the older type, the wood is slightly flamed, and the bust is very red. There must be lots of variety from that era.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    My big boy guitar - the body is 18 3/4" wide, 22 3/4" long; the rims are 3" deep; and the neck has a 24 3/4" scale:

Beautiful looking guitar. One of these days a detour to Toronto en route to Detroit would be in order. You sure have a lot of nice instruments on hand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldenwave77
    Beautiful looking guitar. One of these days a detour to Toronto en route to Detroit would be in order. You sure have a lot of nice instruments on hand.
    Come on down! Bring money. Lots of money.