The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Interesting topic and developed discussion . I notice the idea of " rehyrdating " an instrument and keeping that RH % stable over time as the best possible solution to general storage/maintenance has come up.

1- I surmise from reading that the best approach is to keep/store the guitar in a stable RH% between 35 and 50% environment ?
    2- The most practical method is to store the guitar in a stabilized properly hydrated case versus trying to control a whole room or house?
    3 - First step is to get the interior of the case to the desired target RH% and have a method in place to maintain that ?
    4 - Second put the guitar in the now correct RH% environment/case with the proper RH% maintenance in place and let it slowly acclimatize?
    5 - If the guitar case/stableRH% approach is a good one what do you use as a control system to maintain that environment?

I live in Manitoba Canada where humidity fluctuates from 15% to 100% winter to summer and would love to hear what is the best approach to proper storage/maintenance

Will

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This whole thread reminds me of the joke about a bunch of doctors arguing about a patient who is being wheeled into surgery. One finally says, "I believe your diagnosis is wrong, and I know the autopsy will prove it..."

User Info Menu

Don't feel bad. Several years ago I purchased a '73 Super 400 during my no knowing phase and I didn't remove the pickguard during my buyers inspection. Following up with a pro setup my luthier discovered a nice pro cleat repair beneath the pickguard. That experience scared me off of retaining ownership of the guitar...but looking back, and knowing what I know now, I should have kept that guitar and still owned it...it was purdy.

Good luck with your repair

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Totally off topic, but my dad was in the paper business and I spent many a day cruising timber with him, watching the paper-mill machinery,

My college gf worked in the Scott Paper plant in upstate NY summers and vacations to pay for school, where her father was a foreman. Lots of stories, esp. about the union employees who showed up drunk, and then went to the break room, or infirmary to sleep it off. Then there was the one about the guy who was drunk and fell into the beating vats. The greyish pulp sludge turned pink for a bit, and the Cottonelle toilet paper probably had a pinkish tinge to it that day.

and every morning if the wind was right, from 50 miles away, I could smell my college bills being paid!
    Ah, Texarkana and Brunswick, GA ....on my mind...."just an old sweet song (smell), leaves Georgia (Pacific) on my mind..."

PS: The non-bolded portion in the box, and outside, is my comment, not Lawson's original quotation.
    Last edited by goldenwave77; 03-15-2017 at 12:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks - it is good to know I was freaking out over something that can be easily repaired. I am not all that far from NYC but I am going to look around to see if I can find something closer. I am in central NJ and closer to Philly so maybe there is something down that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I had two small cracks in my 1956 L4C. Joel Wilkins in Malvern did an awesome job repairing them. His website is very informative with lots of illustrations. JW Guitar Restoration, Inc. provides full repair, restoration and custom shop services for guitarists in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania region and throughout the United States

User Info Menu

Try Ron Ruggiero in Yardley PA, he's not far if you're in central Jersey
    He has my '69 L-5 in now for a fret dressing, I wouldn't let anyone else around here touch it.

User Info Menu

Looks like Malvern is about 80 minutes from me but Yardley is pretty close. I'll check out both but if he is good and is working on your '69 L5 then I might just have to add a '70 L5 to his to-do list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro