The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I was looking online for a student but couldn't find anything. I'm looking for a list of guitarists who had identifiable sounds and the guitars they are known for using. Like, Wes - L5, Jim Hall ES-175, Scofield and the JSM100, Bickert and the telecaster and so on. Is there such a comprehensive list that anyone knows of? If not, how about we make one here and post jazz guitarists you think of as being associated with a particular guitar for their sound.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't think this is that clearcut.

Pat Martino used a bunch of different guitars. Joe P. used several guitars, and even on the same one, he sometimes sounded very different. Kenny Burrell used several different instruments, as did George B. over the years.

Metheny's sound has varied over the years, but is more effects-driven, than guitar-dependent.

Russell Malone has changed instruments several times. Rosenwinkel changes guitars every few years, it seems.

Hank Garland had several instruments, as did Grant Green. Louis Stewart had several different instruments.

Slight variation is probably more the rule, than the exception.

Probably if you listened to these people enough, differences in phrasing, attack and approach, are more of a "signature" than the tone, per se, but even this is variable. I think Joe P. seemed to play more fingerstyle at the end of his career.

User Info Menu

Of course there is Larry Carlton.... er.... Mr. 335

User Info Menu

You will have to do some searches.

In the Benedetto site you'll find Benedetto players. Same in Heritage site. Then there´s a book about the L5 and its players, If I remember well by Adrian Ingram.

Wolf Marshall in his book Best of Jazz Guitar has a selection of tunes by Jim Hall, Tal Farlow, Barney Kessel, Kenny Burrell, George Benson, Pat Martino, Hank Garland, Pat Metheny, Herb Ellis, Charlie Christian, Johnny Smith, Howard Roberts, Grant Green and Emily Remler. For each individual player he gives account of the guitars, amps, pickups, string gauges, picks etc. used to produce their sound.

Etc.

Many resources out there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gcb
    Wolf Marshall in his book Best of Jazz Guitar has a selection of tunes by Jim Hall, Tal Farlow, Barney Kessel, Kenny Burrell, George Benson, Pat Martino, Hank Garland, Pat Metheny, Herb Ellis, Charlie Christian, Johnny Smith, Howard Roberts, Grant Green and Emily Remler. For each individual player he gives account of the guitars, amps, pickups, string gauges, picks etc. used to produce their sound.

This is true for only those particular cuts which are analyzed in this book. I have this book, and Wolf Marshall hedges his equipment conclusions, in several spots, even on these. But GCB is quite correct---he gives pretty good detail: He knows he is writing for jazz guitar aficionados.

Is your student looking for the sound of a particular recording, or a player's "signature sound" ?

These are two very different things.

Jim Hall in 1958 is not the sound of Jim Hall later on. (I like his earlier sound better.) I like Pat Martino's sound on El Hombre, but not his later sound so much. Kenny Burrell's sound differs because he recorded a lot in different settings.

To put it another way, why does your student want to know? Is he looking to buy an instrument, or just to get examples of different sounds?
    Last edited by goldenwave77; 03-08-2017 at 10:42 PM.

User Info Menu

The guitars don't play themselves.

Also, I think we often fail to appreciate the impact of recording technology and EQ/mixing choices given most of our opinions are taken from recordings.

User Info Menu

There are definitely players who sound like themselves on many instruments and many players that did not play one guitar. And I know it is not as simple as get this instrument and sound like that player, EQ and studio recording affect it and whatnot. And that an ES-175 will sound different when Pat Metheny plays it vs. Jim Hall vs. the tons of other 175 players. But there are some that people equate with certain guitars like Bickert and the telecaster so I was just looking for a list of players that are known for certain players and exemplify a certain jazz guitar sound on a specific instrument. Not even just one player per guitar (so many L5 players and 175 players). Another example would be Grant Green even though he played more than just the es-330, people think of him and that guitar. This student is learning about jazz guitars and while I have a decent selection I do not have them all and will never play like the masters do so I wanted to point him in the direction of some instruments that have associations with certain players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

very iconic player

User Info Menu

I know some people here think he sounds like crap but Mike Stern has a distinctive sound with his Yamaha (and his Chorus, and his .....)

Jeff Beck comes to mind, too

User Info Menu

Mike Stern seems to play the same solo over and over to my ears. He is quite an accomplished musician and writer as well. But I do dislike his tone especially,LOL!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Mike Stern seems to play the same solo over and over to my ears. He is quite an accomplished musician and writer as well. But I do dislike his tone especially,LOL!
    But his tone is perfect for his playing style. And all jazz players have their favorite riffs and approaches, especially those easily recognized. Joe Pass played the same things over and over, as did Pat Martino, among others.

User Info Menu

I never heard him play anything else than a ES-150. Great player
    Last edited by jpb; 03-10-2017 at 08:14 AM.

User Info Menu

I know he has two distinct tones (electric and acoustic) but Django and his Selmer leaps to mind.

i know George Benson has a veritable Aladdin's Cave of gear, but apart from some of the earlier, more grainy amp sound, he always sounds like George to me.

Fwiw, I love both Hall and Martino's later tone, and also Mike Stern's. On a more modern tip, Frisell also sounds like himself regardless of all the different guitars and effects. Must be the fingers....

User Info Menu

Barney Kessel
    I believe his first electric was a circa 1940 ES-300 [seen in the 'Jammin The Blues video]
    that soon gave way to his custom ES-350 which he used until the end, though I think he had a couple of them.
    aside from studio work I've never seen him play anything else except for a prototype Japanese guitar while his 350 was being repaired.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jpb
    I never heard him play anything else than a ES-150. Great player
    There's a good picture gallery on this site http://thomasia.free.fr/gallery.php where you'll see pics of Rene playing several guitars. Latterly he used both a Guild CE-100D and a Gibson ES-175 at various times (and a Burns Orbit series solid state combo).

User Info Menu

Thanks for the Rene Thomas video.. He's one of my favorite players. That album in Trio with Kenny Clarke and Eddy Louiss.. or Dynasty with Stan Getz..