The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

So I'm pretty sure from demos and suggestions on here that a tech 21 in front of my rumble is well worth the investment, but I'm not sure whether to get a Leeds or Blonde. Unfortunately I have to order unheard, no one has them here. Any comments on which is more appropriate for getting some tube warmth added to a SS amp for a classic jazz sound on hollowbody? (IE Kenny Burrell, Jim Hall type sound). Boy they both sound pretty amazing in demos.

thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Ok for $50 I'm all over that. Thanks man!

Love the Jim Hall quote too. Don't we all know those days!

User Info Menu

I think that is a better choice than the Tech21. The Tech21 is best as a preamp going to the PA or a poweramp. In front of the amp it is more meh (IMHO). The MojoMoJo is super fat, nice pedal!

Thanks Frank. In my case the amp is a very flat SS bass amp, (the Fender Rumble) so hence wanting to make it more amp-like.

No one else has tried the Leeds? Maybe that tells me what I need though, lol.

User Info Menu

I figured the Leeds was a Hiwatt model? Never would consider for jazz.

I use a Blonde if I'm using my Lunchbox, or my Polytone if I want to make it sound Fendery...it works great. Highly recommended.

Ok thanks, that's helpful. I'm a total amp newbie, I'd just read people raving about the leeds as being amazing clean. When it comes to jazz I love the Kenny Burrell and Grant Green 60's tones, so I think probably a blond and a mojo will give me a wide range.

thanks for the help folks.
    iain

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    I think that is a better choice than the Tech21. The Tech21 is best as a preamp going to the PA or a poweramp. In front of the amp it is more meh (IMHO). The MojoMoJo is super fat, nice pedal!
    Err, the OP wrote "classic jazz sound on hollowbody? (IE Kenny Burrell, Jim Hall type sound)". The MojoMojo is an overdrive (hammer versus egg spoon). In TC pedals, just to warm up the tone a bit, I like the Spark booster in "fat" setting.

I was going to suggest the Joyo American as a cheaper clone of the Blonde. But either one can get dirty so you may just be using the first 25% of their sweep.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I think you can get some truly surprising "tube like" tones with one of these pedals and a "flat" sounding amp.

I do a yearly gig with a Johnny Cash impersonator when he comes through town. This past year, he did some other old country stuff too, and wanted me to use an archtop for the right "look." He's old school, likes a lot of stage volume and not much through the monitors...I knew my tele could stay just clean enough through my Princeton dimed, but my 575 would be too gritty, so I actually used the Polytone and the Blonde pedal for the gig. Nobody knew I wasn't using an old "cool" tube amp.

User Info Menu

Catalinbread Formula No. 55 might be worth a look as well.

User Info Menu

I tell you what, Joyo American Sound (Tech 21 clone) through a Roland JC40 sounds Mega for chimey break up sounds. For jazz? I've had a bit of luck with my AER too, but it's a bit too 'dirty' for my liking. My 175 tends to drive it too hard. Sounds good with my Telecaster.
    Last edited by christianm77; 03-13-2017 at 05:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Useful bit of kit, I have to say. I'm sure the Tech 21 is much the same deal, only with speaker simulation. I carry it when I can't use my own amp ...
    Last edited by christianm77; 03-13-2017 at 05:51 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a Joyo American Sound, my Swiss Army Knife for sound, always in the cable case. I use it as a preamp when I play over resident (shitty) amps, not so much as break-up pedal. Never disappoints me.