The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 62 of 62

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    Would that 2 mm not result in some string/polepiece misalignment, or is that degree of difference fairly negligible ? (I've actually never really been one for swapping out p/ups before ?).

Just for the record I have an 84 Emperor F that I might do some tweaks on, but I'm not really too great on the technical aspects of guitar modification.
    Negligible.

Bear in mind, back in the day, there wasn't different pickups for neck and bridge.

When Seth and Gibson came up with the original PAFs, they used the same pickup in both positions ('57-60 LPCs used them in all three..).

I've got a Seymour Duncan SH1b ('59 Bridge) in the neck of my T currently. The strings aren't perfectly centered over the polepieces, but hearing it you wouldn't know it.

If the poles are way off, yes, you'll notice. But 2mm divided by 6 strings is negligible. It'll be more an appearance issue than anything.

B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Greatly appreciate the info, guys !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    Hey Brian, would you please measure the thickness of the body on your uncle Mat's Broadway?

Is it 3" or less?

Your very truly,
    Sorry for the late reply...life being life, didn't get a chance to post this yesterday.

Measured like Lawson did his in post #38 above, the Emperor T comes in at 1 3/4". Well under 3"...

B.

User Info Menu

While we're at it, I measured my Elitist Broadway: 3.427" at the neck joint.

Epiphone Guitars-img_6491-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B
    Sorry for the late reply...life being life, didn't get a chance to post this yesterday.

Measured like Lawson did his in post #38 above, the Emperor T comes in at 1 3/4". Well under 3"...

B.
    Well, when you said "think 335 thick", you weren't that far away, mind you.

Thank you very much for the measures; I now have filled out some holes in my records of specs, and you never know where and when they can come in handy!

Your very truly,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    While we're at it, I measured my Elitist Broadway: 3.427" at the neck joint.
    Wow, they was unexpected. A half inch difference among models results in a lot of air, so the resonance peaks of both models must be quite different, just by his detail alone.

Your very truly,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    Wow, they was unexpected. A half inch difference among models results in a lot of air, so the resonance peaks of both models must be quite different, just by his detail alone.

Your very truly,
    Yes, the Elitist Broadway really isn't the same guitar at all as the Korean or standard Broadway. They were made in the Terada (?) plant, have 5 piece laminated necks w/out scarf joints or heel splices, solid wood (Pressed, though, I think not carved), L5ces style bridge, and overall, the L5ces look and feel. Pickups are actually very nice, too. The case is amazing, with a kind of recessed cut-out for the arched back. Mine is a honey, but I likely will sell it. Still trying to connect with the idea emotionally and wondering if I'll get enough for it to make it worth giving up!

User Info Menu

Look at 1:18 of the video, looks to be an old vintage epiphone. Does anyone know what that is?

User Info Menu

Epi Spartan

User Info Menu

It's a couple steps up from my '45 Zenith, for sure, but exactly the same profile. Nice guitar!

ht/Jonathan Stout

User Info Menu

Interesting place to put the DeArmond. I thought it sounded great but was surprised by the placement down by the bridge. I wonder if he usually keeps it there of it the studio engineers encouraged that placement for the big theater... that stick has advantages after all!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaJoe
    Interesting place to put the DeArmond. I thought it sounded great but was surprised by the placement down by the bridge.
    I've seen a few blues and folk players do this. Adds a bit of twang to their sound as the floater becomes a bridge pickup. David Rawlings playing an old Epiphone archtop (1935 Olympic) has gotten a lot of folk and alt-country players in the market for old Epis, especially the lower end ones.