The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 62 of 62

User Info Menu

Love the sound and how it plays. Love it is a 76, my birth year. I'm getting a replacement pickguard soon. That's it
    70s Gibson L-5-17342884_10155269480209015_6551847134444765351_n-jpg
    Last edited by abelljo; 03-14-2017 at 11:23 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That is a beautiful instrument. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Congrats! You got it! Welcome to the 70's L5 club. Is the pickup off because the previous owner lost it, because it was gassing out or deteriorating or what? I need to find a pickguard for mine too because it was gassing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I just acquired a super clean 1978 L5ces. It has the era’s zero frets, so def will get a refret ASAP.

Does anyone know what pups came in this years L5?

I was thinking of throwing some lollar imperials or Gibson 57’s in it, but hard to make a decision.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Neyzensia
    Hey guys, I just acquired a super clean 1978 L5ces. It has the era’s zero frets, so def will get a refret ASAP.

I was thinking of throwing some lollar imperials or Gibson 57’s in it, but hard to make a decision.
    What’s wrong with the pickups that are in it now?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Neyzensia

T tops

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    T tops
    And most likely stamped T-Tops as opposed to the earlier stickered T-Tops. These can sound fine for jazz but are a bit brighter than 57 Classics or the Shaw PUPs that followed,

User Info Menu

@Neyzensia~Congratulations on your L5 score!

T-Tops can vary widely due to Gibson's inconsistent production standards of the 70's. They can sound very good or not so great, depending on what specific ones you have in your L5. I have a set I bought brand new for a guitar project back in 1971 that are still in the guitar because they sound fantastic. Maybe I got lucky, but I know of others who like T-Tops.

Give yourself a bit of time to get familiar with your new archtop. You might really dig the pickups and save yourself some time and money.

User Info Menu

I just pulled the Shaw h/bers from my '81 L5. Powerful - yes. But they are darker -murkier, exaggerating certain lower mids, (even with all the pots disconnected) that I felt prevented the singing tone of this fine instrument. Seymour Duncan '59 is much sweeter and musical while giving all frequencies their due! Currently waiting for a set of Seth Lover's to try out.
    The volute is a non-issue!!! Unless you play cowboy chords all the time, in which case, you shouldn't be playing an L5.

User Info Menu

Ok thx, good to know as I’m unfamiliar with this era L5. I guess as folks have recommended, I’ll just get it refretted first and see where I’m at with them after playing a while.
    To be honest I’m partly curious, to just try a pups in it just to compare. An expensive endeavor though

I was also thinking of having all the electronics replaced, as it has those large shielded pots and they are decently corroded. I think it was a closet queen owned by someone on the west coast near the ocean. I Was thinking of using some mojoto caps and new cts pots...

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    @Neyzensia~Congratulations on your L5 score!

T-Tops can vary widely due to Gibson's inconsistent production standards of the 70's. They can sound very good or not so great, depending on what specific ones you have in your L5. I have a set I bought brand new for a guitar project back in 1971 that are still in the guitar because they sound fantastic. Maybe I got lucky, but I know of others who like T-Tops.

Give yourself a bit of time to get familiar with your new archtop. You might really dig the pickups and save yourself some time and money.

User Info Menu

Best of wishes neyzensia, with your L5. I'm sure it has potential. I wouldn't worry so much about the shielded pots. So many L5's have had glorious tones. I found relief by changing p/ups. Pete Biltoft told me there is no benefit to those shielded pots (if you have a good set of properly wired and grounded pots), so I would opt for p/ups first.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, interesting discovery on my new 1978 L5ces. The past few times I played it, I kept thinking the body felt a bit thinner than my 89 Hutch L5ces. I just compared them side by side, and it's about 1/4 inch thinner than my 89. No big deal as it sounds amazing and fits like a glove. Amazing 1/4 inch is totally noticeable when playing.

>> Out of curiosity, anyone know if there was a shift in body depth at some point, or if this is an anomaly?

I have to say, IMO the Volute debate is purely aesthetic, and this 78 is as good as any L5ces I've ever played

70s Gibson L-5-78-l5-width-jpg70s Gibson L-5-2-l5s-jpg70s Gibson L-5-78l5ces-png