The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 62

User Info Menu

Royce Campbell plays a '70 or '71 L-5CES. (His other guitar is a Benedetto Manahattan.) I have heard him play both. The 70s L-5 is a great sounding guitar. He played it for 19 years in Henry Mancini's orchestra. (Lotta miles on that guitar.)

Here is Campbell playing "Moon River":

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Royce Campbell plays a '70 or '71 L-5CES. (His other guitar is a Benedetto Manahattan.) I have heard him play both. The 70s L-5 is a great sounding guitar. He played it for 19 years in Henry Mancini's orchestra. (Lotta miles on that guitar.)
    Royce Campbell is one of my "baselines" for classic L5ces tone. Joshua Breakstone would be the other. I know there are more, but for me, those two really capture the range and nuance of the L5ces. Both play 70's era instruments too!

User Info Menu

I have an early 70s L-5. It's a beautiful instrument having kept most of the features of the 60s ones, but it is quite heavy at 8lb 2oz!

User Info Menu

Really enjoying hearing from all of you. So much good sense, well stated.

And proud to be a member of the L5 club!

People talk about "this year" and "that year". The "years" only influence prices and features.

I admit that my (Gibson arch top) passions are aroused due to owning a fine one. But, I don't buy guitars just to buy them. I used to when I found a good deal.
    But boy....there are lessons to be learned there! I bought a '65 Gibson Johnny Smith once when it was available for a great price. From an "ace" guitarist. Great wide neck, but it just didn't make music for me. Cold and harsh it was. Other JS's I played seemed the same as mine. Sold it and lusted for an L5.

Played a few of those and found a '68 that was so sweet sounding, I could not afford it. So I kept the passion, and finally found one, that, I swear found me. A sweet deal, so, out came the credit card.

It's a great one, Norlin, volute, and very alive.

User Info Menu

It's a great feeling isn't it? It does feel like the guitar finds you when it is "right" and you just know that you don't have to look any further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

avoid years are like avoid notes

User Info Menu

You are right Rio. But the more you go strolling throughout the guitar shops, the more guitars will "find" you, and me!

User Info Menu

Their are really no good or bad years just good or bad guitars. I have played many L5's in my life. I don't recall ever playing a really bad one. Different voices yes but never a really bad sound.

I will say this....most prefer the sound of the CES but I have always preferred the sound of the Wesmo more not to mention I am not a bridge pickup user. The CES sounds thunkier but that's what a 175 is for.
    I know DB wants a 70's and the oldest Wesmo you can get is a 1993.

I know the old growth wood and old lacquer formulations are supposed to be better but I have played some newish L5's that sounded pretty darn good too. Yes the newer ones are heavy tanks but extremely durable.

Regardless of the year if you want a good one you will need to pay in the 5-6K range. Top of the food chain axe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    The instruments that significantly contribute to poor perception from Norlin period are mainly LesPauls. There are many posts about this topic.

While the use of plain woods and volutes on Archtops may be perceived as a negative , I believe it's merely a byproduct from people just spreading what they hear- without first hand knowledge. There are good and bad instruments from any period.

I leveraged all that bad perception to my advantage last year and purchased a near mint Johnny Smith for a very attractive price.

Ok - so it had plain wood and
    the volute - the later of which is present on Citations - and it was a non issue for me. In fact - I think the volute may even contribute to the tone due to the extra mass - and it's functionally irrelevant to me.

That guitar is now in the possession of a forum member and I would gladly buy it back from him in a minute- it's the nicest sounding Johnny Smith that I played during the course of 6 months of sampling from each period.

Norlin period Archtops provide us with an opportunity to score a great guitar at an attractive price .

Just do your research and pay street prices - forget retail numbers - they are fantasy.
    QA, I must say, anyone who reads this, must take heed to what you are saying. I saw all the research you did before you bought our baby and I was convinced that you turned over every rock. You really know your stuff and if you say its good, I believe it. Your ability to see and hear top quality surpasses my ability by far. You have rubbed elbows and became close friends with some of the top guitar builders in our lifetime. Bryant Trenier, John Monteloene and the immortal, Jimmy D'Aquisto. Guys, don't take what this man says as fluff or hyperbole. He is a absolute aficionado of fine guitars. And he is a great guy who is accessible to all of us - equally. SL, I am glad I know you. Thanks for your input. It is priceless. No BS.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Their are really no good or bad years just good or bad guitars. .
    Bro, Everything that can be said on the topic, you said in one sentence. Absolutely true.

User Info Menu

Their are really no good or bad years just good or bad guitars. I have played many L5's in my life. I don't recall ever playing a really bad one. Different voices yes but never a really bad sound.

I will say this....most prefer the sound of the CES but I have always preferred the sound of the Wesmo more not to mention I am not a bridge pickup user. The CES sounds thunkier but that's what a 175 is for.
    I know DB wants a 70's and the oldest Wesmo you can get is a 1993.

I know the old growth wood and old lacquer formulations are supposed to be better but I have played some newish L5's that sounded pretty darn good too. Yes the newer ones are heavy tanks but extremely durable.

Regardless of the year if you want a good one you will need to pay in the 5-6K range. Top of the food chain axe.
    I ended up with a WESMO and could have had a 70's L-5CES for the same bread. To me, a Wesmo with a wooden bridge is a true acoustic-electric. Like you say, if an electric archtop is the goal, I'll go with the 175.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Their are really no good or bad years just good or bad guitars. I have played many L5's in my life. I don't recall ever playing a really bad one. Different voices yes but never a really bad sound. I will say this....most prefer the sound of the CES but I have always preferred the sound of the Wesmo more not to mention I am not a bridge pickup user. The CES sounds thunkier but that's what a 175 is for.
    I know DB wants a 70's and the oldest Wesmo you can get is a 1993. I know the old growth wood and old lacquer formulations are supposed to be better but I have played some newish L5's that sounded pretty darn good too. Yes the newer ones are heavy tanks but extremely durable. Regardless of the year if you want a good one you will need to pay in the 5-6K range. Top of the food chain axe.
    I had my eyes on a blonde 1976 L5CES with no volute but unfortunately it was sold within a few days. Price was 6250 euro. That is the going price over here. There's another 78 L5CES for sale but the guys wants 8k euro and there's no way I will ever pay that kind of money for a guitar. I think 6K is already ludicrous. A few years ago any L5 was 5k used. Then Gibson raised the prices for new ones and the market followed with a steep increase in used L5 prices too, which makes no sense at all, for the used ones were never that expensive to begin with. So what you see now is an unfair price hike in used Gibsons. IMHO that is.

I test drove a mid 90s L5 Wesmo a few years ago (even did a video with it) and was very unimpressed at the time. But it had wrong strings on it. So at this stage I am not even sure an L5 is what I really want. Maybe a CES is better than a Wesmo for me. I need da thunk you know.

DB
    Last edited by Dutchbopper; 03-09-2017 at 08:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Buy one from the Uk, before we leave the EU!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by plasticpigeon
    Buy one from the Uk, before we leave the EU!
    Don't say that! After you've gone, the pound will become as strong as the Russian rubel or Turkish lira--hopefully;-) I am waiting for the Brexiters to leave, what are they waiting for?

Robert

User Info Menu

House of Lords are trying to make sure there are all sorts of sensible amendments to the bill, such as letting EU citizens already here stay here, and allowing parliament a final vote, but the Government are playing hardball. Sad times I think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by plasticpigeon
    House of Lords are trying to make sure there are all sorts of sensible amendments to the bill, such as letting EU citizens already here stay here, and allowing parliament a final vote, but the Government are playing hardball. Sad times I think.
    Yeah, I know. My comment was rather sarcastic, though it would be a personal advantage if the pound dips into nirvana. And for the nationalists that want to leave, I would say: f**ck them! I guess, we shouldn't talk politics here... But with all my deeply rooted love to GB and the people from there I know, I still don't get it.

Robert

User Info Menu

Gibson has finally out priced themselves. Dealers cannot get the MAP pricing and are being forced to sell new Gibson's as used to move them. Also Gibson dealers are dropping like flies. I think Gibson is slowly turning back to a buyers market instead of a sellers. Be patient DB as I do believe the prices will improve and as the market saturates the pricing will continue to drop.
    This year CME was selling 175's, 335's, 345's, for near 1/2 price new w/ warranty so I do believe the good deals will be coming. Gibson is in trouble. Naturally when new prices drop, used should follow suit. LOL in your quest.

User Info Menu

I miss the non flamed back of the only Norlin I've had the pleasure of owning - A '73 Super

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I miss the non flamed back of the only Norlin I've had the pleasure of owning - A '73 Super

That looks nice. And I'm pretty happy with the non-flamed back of my Norlin L5CESN. They are different, but nice looking in their own way.
    Keith
    70s Gibson L-5-image-jpg

User Info Menu

Those un-flamed backs display the silking of perfectly quartersawn wood. The pieces would be strong, yet flexible, and resonant. Very nice wood. Congrats!

User Info Menu

I just traded my ES175 for a 1976 L5 so I hope I'm happy. I was born in 76. It arrives tomorrow

Gibson L-5 CES 70's Sunburst Beautiful | Reverb

User Info Menu

That is a great price. I'm curious to hear what you think of it next to the 175. When I was doing my "which nice guitar do I get" last year I ultimately decided on a '70 L5 because it was in a store only 90 minutes away but if it were a 175 in that store I would have probably had that instead and I still wonder what it would be like playing one. I have a lawsuit 175 but some day I will inevitably get one I am sure. I am very happy that I ended up with an L5 though. A lifetime guitar for sure and very inspiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by abelljo
    I just traded my ES175 for a 1976 L5 so I hope I'm happy. I was born in 76. It arrives tomorrow

Wow that's the only online advertised L5ces I was ever actually tempted by due to the price. I can't way for your NGD post to see how you like it.

I love the 70's ice-tea ? sunburst. IN fact, I just love those early Norlin, God help my soul, I love them.

User Info Menu

Jimmy D'Aquisto was quite adamant to me that non flamed maple sounded better. Also it takes lacquer better. Flamed maple can do funny things when lacquer is applied to it. You can get a real nice smooth finish on plainer maple. Not always the case with flamed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by abelljo

Gorgeous guitar. Enjoy it, play it a lot and the sky is the limit.
    Enjoy! JD

User Info Menu

Here's my 1972 next to an epiphone Broadway. Lovely guitars, L-5 is a lot heavier.70s Gibson L-5-img_0856-jpg70s Gibson L-5-img_0859-jpg