The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Some friend don't suggest me to use Thomastick Bebop because they have two problems : 1_ G string problem of volume; 2_ when are news the string has his best sound, bit this sound became bad in a few time, because roundwound consumption.
    What are your Experience?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

They work great on my ES 175CC. They've been here since 1 year and they are till punchy.

User Info Menu

thomastik bebops are a thin pure nickel wrap string..if you are used to nickel plated steel or stainless steel strings, you might like to raise the pickup or pickup polepieces a tad, to compensate...

also being pure nickel they are not as bright as stainless steel sets to begin with, so i've found their tone/brightness to change less over time...

also depends which gauge bebop set you get...the 11's & 12's have a plain g..while the 13 &14 sets have wound.....g string polepiece adjustment time

top strings ...once you adjust

cheers

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for your suggest. Now I can't use gauge over 12 . Actually I have Ibanez AF151 set with Thomastick swing 12 and sound gold but a little bit dark , so I should try otner the of string and for first Bebop.
    If I understand you suggest a PU adjust for passage from swing to bebop cause different metal indipendent that has same gauge.
    It us right?

User Info Menu

since both the thomastik jazz swings and bebops are pure nickel strings, they should have a similar magnetic interaction with the pickup..but it's always a good idea to pay attention to pickup and polepiece height when changing out different sets of strings...just the difference between a wound and plain g makes a big difference in how you want to adjust polepieces

cheers

User Info Menu

@ neatomic
    Have some suggests to make work DIY ? How can I set the right height of pole ? I have a digital multimeter and I know how use it

User Info Menu

questions-

g_59, you have thomastik jazz swing 12's on now..and what bebops will you get?? 11's or 12's? what exact model guitar.ibanez 151? artstar?

you won't need the digital multimeter!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

i have been using those strings for a long time. First just in one guitar but now i have .12 in my strat and .14 in my eastman t186 and i really like them. I think they last quite well and don´t think the sound changes that much over time.

User Info Menu

Many Many thanks
    I have Artstar AF 151 the single pick-up versione of AF155 but Italian Hand Made pick-up named Soffio by I-SPIRA http://www.i-spira.com/images/000_1.jpg
    I-SPIRA - Pickups ed elettroniche artigianali per chitarra e basso
    Actually I have 12 swing I want try 12 bebop.
    Italian string Dogal Expressive is very expensive its price us double than Thomastick!!!!

User Info Menu

Guido, the BB112 set has a plain 20 G. The BB113 set has a roundwound 21 G.

What you can do is to buy the BB113 and chuck the 13p, 17p strings out for 12p, 16p. This makes a more traditional 12-53 set whose gauges are reflected in the T-I George Benson GR12-53 roundwound set.

Plain steels are cheap to replace.

You could also buy the T-I BB112, chuck the 20p G and substitute it with a single BB21 roundwound string, for a 12-50 set.

Look up Schneider Musik De for single T-I strings. It is about €2.79 each for the BB21 https://schneidermusik.de/shop1/adva...1&inc_subcat=1
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 03-02-2017 at 11:46 AM.

User Info Menu

yeah the big difference between the thom jazz swing 12 set and the bebop 12 set is the g string!...the bebops plain g could be louder through the pickup...(as you feared in the op)...normally this can be compensated for by adjusting (lowering) the g string polepiece..but i see the pickup you use-the soffio- does not apper to have screw polepieces...so your only adjustment is to raise or lower the entire pickup... and this does not allow you to really fine tune individual string volumes (if needed!)

soffio-Thomastick Bebop string issue-hb_nero01-jpg

if you really like the volume balance that the wound g jazz swing flat set gives you, you might want to try a pure nickel roundwound (like the bebops are) but with a wound g...pyramid makes such a string and is of high quality like thomastik

Pyramid Stand Jazz - Thomann UK

not quite sure of the actual build design on the soffio...polepiece magnets or slugs with bar magnet...but it uses alnico II magnets..which are not too strong..so how you set the height of the pickup should make a big difference in tone and volume....

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 03-02-2017 at 01:02 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

I didn't think that should be a real big difference between round G and plain G . I'll talk to Luca Villani maker of I-SPIRA SOFFIO pick-up ,is a friend, for his suggest atout tris question.
    Thanks all for suggest.

User Info Menu

Please let us know what Luca Villani suggests, Guido. Ciao bello,

User Info Menu

Ciao Guido, le Bebop le ho provate una volta e mi erano piaciute, timbricamente sono quasi delle flatwound, ma l'attacco e la sensazione al tatto naturalmente sono diversi (anche se a causa del diametro molto piccolo degli avvolgimenti sono più lisce delle normali roundwound). Da un po' sulla solid body sto usando le Pyramid Pure Nickel, altre belle corde.

User Info Menu

Fidel anche tu qui ?
    Max and Luca say they sound well for few time and after the sound became bad .
    Max talk atout problem with volume of G string also
    Luca Villani tell me their is no pick-up night problem abiti swing 12-50 and bebop 12-52 , because they are similar ,but Maybe you adjust truss road for Ideal neck curve.

User Info Menu

As Jabberwocky already pointed out, if you don't want to go above a "12" gauge set, but like the Bebops, get the 13 set and substitute the 1st and second strings. It will then feel like most other 12 gauge sets, even lighter!! I don't like the idea of having to buy an extra wound 3rd and don't get why the TI 12 gauge set comes with a plain 3rd as standard.

My experience of the Bebops is that they are less bright than other roundwounds, but I wouldn't go as far as to say "timbricamente sono quasi delle flatwound": they're definitely in the roundwound camp, IMO.

Here in Europe, the Pyramid pure nickels could be a good option, but you'll probably have to do just like everyone else and try different makes.

Buona fortuna / in bocca al lupo!

User Info Menu

Pyramid are good string bit not so easy to found.
    Only Now I have remembered Thomastick George Benson
    That has a GR112 that is a 12-53 set 12p E ; 16p B ;20W G 30w D 38w A 53w E . On web site is not wrote material and core.
    Do you if they are make with pure nickel and round like other swing and bebop ?

User Info Menu

Here's a link for Pyramid strings in Europe. For some sets they quote a delivery time of 1-3 weeks:
    Pyramid Artikel im SAITEN E-Gitarre 6-saitig Satzeshop kaufen bei SchneiderMusik.de - Schnelle Lieferung - nur 99 ct Versandkosten!

I have no personal experience of the TI Benson sets. They're not cheap!

User Info Menu

i posted the thomann link for the pyramids!!! ^^ ...cheap and easy!

and there is a vast difference between a plain and wound g!!!...the plain g is all highly magnetic solid carbon steel..the wound string is a thinner steel inner core with a less magnetic wrap..

it makes a difference!..thats why pickups have staggered pole pieces...to compensate for string magnetic differences!

cheers

ps- the thomastik bensons are pure nickel..they are the same as bebops only different gauged sets..a good solution!
    Last edited by neatomic; 03-03-2017 at 06:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Now I understand difference between plano and round.
    Yes Benson are absolutely not cheap , bit has interesting gauge.
    Not easy way referred to found Pyramid in a real guitar shop.
    Considering their price I Think to try it.
    Questions: have you notice about core of pure nickel round wound and their tension ? On web I found that gold Pyramid has hex core bit nothing atout tension.

User Info Menu

Anyone knows diferences between THIS two Pyramid string set ?

Pyramid Stand Jazz – Thomann Mobile

Pyramid Nickel Classics Tradt. 012-054 – Thomann Mobile

The second hai high price and gauge 12.54 instead 12.52
    Both are pure nickel but the second declare round core ? The first no. So I Ask first what core use ?
    For both nothing about tension.

User Info Menu

I imagine the cheaper ones have a hex core. If they're similar gauges, I'd just go ahead and try them. Ciao.

User Info Menu

Peter probably you are right.
    I have wrote to Pyramid to know teche spreca of string.
    It they answer me I'll you their answer.

User Info Menu

The Pyramid Nickel Classics (not "Pure Nickel", as I mistakenly wrote above) have a round core, like I guess Thomastik strings. Nickel Classics are manufactured both in a quite cheap standard set and an expensive highly polished set. Generally I buy them from this Italian online store, that however at the moment is offline. You have to be aware of two things regarding round core roundwound strings in general, I guess, and Nickel Classics in particular: 1) since they have a wider vibration arc compared to hexagonal core strings, they sound and sustain better, but you might have to raise the action a tiny bit in order for them not to "fry", how we say in Italian , on the frets; 2) after you cut a wound string, you have to make a sharp bend in the string's end to prevent the winding from loosening (it tends to slip on the string's smooth core), and then you have to be gentle when stretching it.

User Info Menu

Thanks Fidel for suggest. I haver read those two advertising about round wound string with round core , but I haven't understand would be so critically.
    Also TI flat wound has round core, The problem tenere is only with round wound?
    For the same reason action would non ne the same ad TI flat wound same gauge !
    Interesting Web site I look it when return on .
    What is the Real difference between nickel and pure nickel string?
    Last edited by Guido_59; 03-06-2017 at 03:23 PM.