The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49
    Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by squeally dan
    For those of you who use the lunchbox, would you agree with this guy's assessement:

I've heard a few of these lately, friends picking them up out of curiosity. Heard one at a medium loud gig a while back, and tried one myself at a little gig recently.
    My impression is that many reactions are based on the tiny size and cuteness, for lack of a better word. I have a very small Polytone, not really all that much bigger in practical terms, and it sounds worlds better and just as loud, so I'm a hard sell.
    This Lunchbox amp is so unusual, I don't think it is being held to the normal standards of other small combos. The 6" speaker is impressive, and as a combo it sounds better than you'd expect, but ignoring the novelty factor, the amp sounds dry, sterile, and exhibits all the deficits of a mediocre Solid State amp, plus a weird sounding non-reverb that would get panned in any other amp or as a pedal.
    Volume-wise, a Blues Jr. walks all over it until you plug it into a larger speaker, and then you have an average SS amp with no usable reverb.
    If you need something tiny and loud, it fits the bill. Size (or rather lack thereof) is what it has going for it. Sound ... not as good as a PowerBlock. It would be a good backup, I guess, but honestly, the sound is really ... meh.
    That said, if I didn't have a Baby Brute and a PowerBlock, I'd consider one just as a back up or after hours jam amp.
    Can't really compare it to other amps, since it's so minuscule. It's alone in it's own category, world's strongest midget. Next to nearly any decent small tube amp, objectively, sounds not so great. But real cute.

I'd avoid anything with a speaker less than 10 inches in diameter. Little speakers like 8" or 6.5 " won't last for long.

I plugged a keyboard into my Polytone Mega-Brut once. Now its 8" speaker is shot.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For those of you who use the lunchbox, would you agree with this guy's assessement:

I've heard a few of these lately, friends picking them up out of curiosity. Heard one at a medium loud gig a while back, and tried one myself at a little gig recently.
    My impression is that many reactions are based on the tiny size and cuteness, for lack of a better word. I have a very small Polytone, not really all that much bigger in practical terms, and it sounds worlds better and just as loud, so I'm a hard sell.
    This Lunchbox amp is so unusual, I don't think it is being held to the normal standards of other small combos. The 6" speaker is impressive, and as a combo it sounds better than you'd expect, but ignoring the novelty factor, the amp sounds dry, sterile, and exhibits all the deficits of a mediocre Solid State amp, plus a weird sounding non-reverb that would get panned in any other amp or as a pedal.
    Volume-wise, a Blues Jr. walks all over it until you plug it into a larger speaker, and then you have an average SS amp with no usable reverb.
    If you need something tiny and loud, it fits the bill. Size (or rather lack thereof) is what it has going for it. Sound ... not as good as a PowerBlock. It would be a good backup, I guess, but honestly, the sound is really ... meh.
    That said, if I didn't have a Baby Brute and a PowerBlock, I'd consider one just as a back up or after hours jam amp.
    Can't really compare it to other amps, since it's so minuscule. It's alone in it's own category, world's strongest midget. Next to nearly any decent small tube amp, objectively, sounds not so great. But real cute.
    Well, personally, I don't agree, but everybody has a different idea of the "perfect tone". I'm 52, and it seems like many people my age have an idea about good tone that comes from Clapton, Page, etc. I never really listened to that music, and I tend to like a clean sound. I have only used mine at one gig with a telecaster, but I thought that it sounded good, and so did my bandmates. I've been playing my lap steel through it at home, and I really like it. Next week, I'll probably play my steel through the ZT and the guitar through the Fender. I have a friend who's going to loan me a 15" speaker that he pulled out of his Fender Jazz King, and maybe that will be even better.
    All-in-all, there are plenty of amps that sound better, I'm sure. For me, the combination of size, portability, price, and tone works just fine.
    Last edited by JohnRosett; 08-14-2009 at 02:34 PM.

User Info Menu

well, i'm going to end up sounding like i work for zt, but, here goes...

the amp sounds dry, sterile, and exhibits all the deficits of a mediocre Solid State amp, plus a weird sounding non-reverb that would get panned in any other amp or as a pedal.

yup. that's why i like it. it's a clean slate--i don't want any coloration to my jazz guitar sound. guy sounds like a tube sniffer to me, who wants "natural breakup, man"--i want clean. the LB delivers. i'm not sure why a clean slate tone would be considered the marking of a "mediocre SS amp," people pay a lot of money to have an unadorned sound. SS amps are never good imitators of tube amps, and if that's what this cat wanted it to be, i could understand why he'd be dissapointed.

they (ZT) also clearly label that their reverb is not like a traditional reverb, and, had 1,000's of faceplates not already been fabricated, they would label it ambiance. not sure why the guy is surprised.

Volume-wise, a Blues Jr. walks all over it until you plug it into a larger speaker

i have a blues junior. to compete with the volume the lunchbox can put out, the BJ would be dirtier than my socks after a soccer match on a rainy day. not even close.

not as good as a PowerBlock.

sounds a lot better than the powerblock i owned for three weeks, plus, it's a self contained unit--don't need to find an extension speaker.

that said, i might look for one. look, the lunchbox isn't perfect, it isn't the "be all end all of amps," it's none of that. it's a 250 dollar conversation piece that happens to have a decent tone and be the most portable combo ever. it lacks a little bass response, and that's why i'd be intrigued to hear what it sound like thru a good, efficient 8" or 10" cab like a redstone or raezer's edge. it won't replace my polytone for important gigs, but the convenience factor is ridiculous, and i can honestly say, i'll never leave home for a gig without it now--it'll always be in my car or backpack ready to go as a completely suitable backup.

let's get this all straight. it weighs 9 pounds. it costs 250 bucks. that's nothing! if you want a tube amp, buy a tube amp. if your ears need an Acoustic Image amp, well then, only an AI will do. this is simple stuff really--at $250, it's worth every penny.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    At 32lbs, the Cube 60 isn't as light as one might hope.
    But half the weight of a twin. In fact, that's one of the reasons why I turfed my '65 reissue. Cubes are great little amps, and I use it for every gig. Very repectful sound IMO.

I was planning on getting a cube but am now leaning towards the lunchbox. I have some larger tube amps. I like the portability of the lunchbox. At first I liked the versatility of the CUbe, but I don't think I will use 75% of the stuff it has. I'm hoping I could also use the lunchbox for a convenient back up amp for my wedding band gigs, and possibly for my church gigs.

User Info Menu

At first I liked the versatility of the CUbe, but I don't think I will use 75% of the stuff it has.
    That's my feeling, too. For Jazz, I would only use the clean (JC) channel and the Blackface model. I've read the amp has a noise filter that you can't control that can squelch quiet notes.

The effects? Meh. I would only use reverb, and it was just okay. The trouble with the other effects is that you couldn't just have a little chorus, for example. As soon as you dialed it in, there was too much of it. You'd think Roland/Boss could have done better, like having one knob to just select the effect and a second knob to dial the depth.

On the 80x, they have a looper, allowing you to record and dub. At first I thought this was cool: comp, then play a bass line, then play the melody or improvise, but again it was just a toy. Not enough features and the loop can only be about 40 seconds long! It's better to go for a pedal, like the Boss RC2 Looper which can do about 15 minutes. And as a pedal, it's portable to another amp.

So for me, too, a simpler amp would be better.

User Info Menu

I'm hoping I could also use the lunchbox for a convenient back up amp for my wedding band gigs, and possibly for my church gigs.
    As an Atheist, I can't comment on the latter. The last time I tried to enter a church with my guitar, it started feeding back like Jimi Hendrix on acid, which is to say, like Jimi Hendrix. And the spooky thing was, it wasn't even plugged in

User Info Menu

postscript on the lunchbox:

after gigging with it, i've come to a conclusion, a conclusion i backed up with some (well, at least for me) proof.

it'd be fine for a band. plenty of output, plenty of cut. a little boxy, i like a little reverb with it (and i'm not a big reverb fan, it just "calms it down" a little)

for the solo gig i did, i missed a little bass...so, since i had buisness up in milwaukee yesterday, i brought it along with me, left home early, and stopped at jeff hale's shop.

after playing the LB thru a 8" extension speaker (a redstone) i was re-sold on the 'box. the bass returned, most of the inherent "hiss" the lunchbox carries as baggage was squelched, and the sound filled the room easily without being too "in your face."

so needless to say, i bought the cab (used for 300 bones, well worth it--redstone stuff is TOP NOTCH quality) now i have a true backup to my polytone. the cab weighs 17lbs too, so it's a full 15 lbs lighter than my polytone.

i think overall, i view the lunchbox like this: it is a cheap, loud, relatively light and small head that happens to have an internal speaker. on it's own, it's great for practice and jams, the kind of amp you can take anywhere and not be bummed when charlie the drummer shows up.

plugged into a good cab, it's a viable professioal tool. the lunchbox and redstone cab together cost me less than 600 bucks--good luck getting the head alone for that price on any other amp.

it hasn't replaced my polytone, but it will be a constant backup, and for small gigs or ones i need to take the train to and rub elbows with folks, it'll get first call--it'll come along in a backpack and the redstone cab will be in my hand.

I guess the lack of bass response would be expected with a speaker that small, but that troubles me a little.

I am really having a hard time deciding. Is their a smalllight, affordable amp that I could use with an electric guitar for solo acoustic gigs mostly, church gigs, and could also double as a monitor for an acoustic guitar. Thats a tall order.

User Info Menu

I guess the lack of bass response would be expected with a speaker that small, but that troubles me a little.

I am really having a hard time deciding. Is their a smalllight, affordable amp that I could use with an electric guitar for solo acoustic gigs mostly, church gigs, and could also double as a monitor for an acoustic guitar. Thats a tall order.
    That actually sounds like a good description of the Phil Jones AAD CUB Ag-100:

CUB AG-100 Guitar Amplifier

I know it's listed for $600 there, but Sam Ash had it for $300.

Phil Jones Bass CUB AG100 2x5 Acoustic Guitar Amplifier | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

I'm looking for one to check out. On this forum, TieDyedDevil has one and is a fan.

To compare it to the lunch box, the CUB is more of an uncolored amp -- it reprocesses the sound without changing it. I'm hoping it works well with my archtop.

User Info Menu

I am really having a hard time deciding. Is their a smalllight, affordable amp that I could use with an electric guitar for solo acoustic gigs mostly.
    i'm a little confused dan--you mean an acoustic electric guitar?

i'm not satisfied enough with the sound to play a solo gig with it without the cab now. i also wouldn't gig it without some outboard reverb.

i could easily rock/blues/country/wedding band gig it with the reverb and maybe another pedal for more distorted sounds if the song calls for them...i'd even gig it stand alone (again, with a little reverb) with a jazz group--it's just not up to snuff for solo gigs, IMHO.

now, if you're playing acoustic, it might be good--i dunno--i don't own any kind of electric acoustic instrument to test it out with! (i hate the sound of amplified piezos, but that's another story for another day)

part of me thinks though that the lower bass levels would help suppress feedback.

as for using it as a monitor, absolutely--that's why it's cool that it has the ability to keep the internal speaker on when plugging it into a cab...the cab could face out, the LB could face you...

i still say it's a steal for the power available at the price. it's not the greatest sounding thing in the world on it's own (however, on the floor in my uncarpeted music room it sounds fine as is, but i can't take that room with me everytime i play!) but with a little help, it's a pretty cool device.

dan, where are you located? zt has a big dealer list on their website...i think this is one of those "try before you buy" deals...also check out their website to see what the return policy is--i think they're pretty flexible if you order from them directly (which is what you want to do anyway, since they got that sweet $260 deal)

i also know a cat (a member here) who got his at that same price at a sam ash music. might be worth checking out if there's one of those near you. he actually stopped by to hear me gig it last sunday--if he reads this, maybe he can give the perspective of what he thought of the tone sitting a few feet away from it...like i said, i felt it was lacking bass, but overall it was a clean and pleasant sound...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    i'm a little confused dan--you mean an acoustic electric guitar?

i'm not satisfied enough with the sound to play a solo gig with it without the cab now. i also wouldn't gig it without some outboard reverb.

i could easily rock/blues/country/wedding band gig it with the reverb and maybe another pedal for more distorted sounds if the song calls for them...i'd even gig it stand alone (again, with a little reverb) with a jazz group--it's just not up to snuff for solo gigs, IMHO.

now, if you're playing acoustic, it might be good--i dunno--i don't own any kind of electric acoustic instrument to test it out with! (i hate the sound of amplified piezos, but that's another story for another day)

part of me thinks though that the lower bass levels would help suppress feedback.

as for using it as a monitor, absolutely--that's why it's cool that it has the ability to keep the internal speaker on when plugging it into a cab...the cab could face out, the LB could face you...

i still say it's a steal for the power available at the price. it's not the greatest sounding thing in the world on it's own (however, on the floor in my uncarpeted music room it sounds fine as is, but i can't take that room with me everytime i play!) but with a little help, it's a pretty cool device.

dan, where are you located? zt has a big dealer list on their website...i think this is one of those "try before you buy" deals...also check out their website to see what the return policy is--i think they're pretty flexible if you order from them directly (which is what you want to do anyway, since they got that sweet $260 deal)

i also know a cat (a member here) who got his at that same price at a sam ash music. might be worth checking out if there's one of those near you. he actually stopped by to hear me gig it last sunday--if he reads this, maybe he can give the perspective of what he thought of the tone sitting a few feet away from it...like i said, i felt it was lacking bass, but overall it was a clean and pleasant sound...
    I'm in Northern Alabama. I'm wanting something good enough for a solo gig. However, I have also been needing an amp for some acoustic gigs I do with a percussionist/singer and saxaphone. Also, it would be cool if I could use it in the 1000 person room we hold church in. Thats more of a rock thing. Just a bunch to ask of one amp.

I think your right. I probably just need to try it out. I might even order it and see about the return policy.

I don't know how an acoustic guitar would sound thorugh a cube. Has anyone done that?

User Info Menu

I've played a mag/piezo hybrid through my Cube 60 using the Acoustic model with just a touch of chorus and delay. I don't know how authentically 'acoustic' it sounds, but it seems to have the general flavor and it does sound quite nice to me.

User Info Menu

I'm in Northern Alabama. I'm wanting something good enough for a solo gig. However, I have also been needing an amp for some acoustic gigs I do with a percussionist/singer and saxaphone. Also, it would be cool if I could use it in the 1000 person room we hold church in. Thats more of a rock thing. Just a bunch to ask of one amp.

I think your right. I probably just need to try it out. I might even order it and see about the return policy.

I don't know how an acoustic guitar would sound thorugh a cube. Has anyone done that?
    Just my opinion, but I don't think there is an amp that will do all those well. The Cube will get you close enough for rock & jazz, though I REALLY need my tubes for rock these days. I sincerely doubt it will do anything but muck up your acoustic tone.

After futzing around with various acoustic amps over the years, I have settled on the good old LR Baggs PADI and just get my guitar in the monitor mix. Did it a couple of Sundays ago with my 12 string. Nothing has sounded better to my ears. If you are playing with a singer, then you have sound reinforcement, so is there a channel left for you?

User Info Menu

This week good fortune came my way. A friend traded an amp to me, in exchange for one of my paintings. Tho I daydream about checking out a Lunchbox, these days even $250 is like a fortune.

The amp is an early-version Peavey Envoy 110. 35 watts RMS. Made in the USA, spring reverb, open-back cab. 10" speaker. Weighs about 20 lbs. Outputs for footwitch, external speaker and pre-amp line-out.

Both channels have 3-band eq. The clean channel has a 6db cut switch. The dirty channel has a similar cut-switch labeled 'thrash', and a Gain Boost switch.

So far I'm delighted with it. All controls are very 'musical', tones can be dialed-in to sound good at super-quiet late-night home-practice and at 'gig' levels. Sounds good with both humbucker and single-coil pickups.

Peavey has produced many versions of this amp, recent ones made overseas, with much-different controls. I'm glad mine is one of the earlier-simpler ones. It has both cleean sparkle and, when desired, a little bit of dirt. Not tube-dirt but a usable, musical dirt.

It also sounds good with the Zoom 505 pedal I sometimes use.

The reverb is nice. Anything from just-a-hint to thundering-surf-of the-tiki-torch-gods can be dialed in.

If this amp becomes a 'keeper' I can imagine getting a better speaker or, perhaps, re-housing it (appears to be the Dreaded Particle-Board Of Lead-Weightdom) in a nice pine or quality-plywood cab. Wood cabs: even-lighter, better tone.

User Info Menu

That actually sounds like a good description of the Phil Jones AAD CUB Ag-100:

CUB AG-100 Guitar Amplifier

I know it's listed for $600 there, but Sam Ash had it for $300.

Phil Jones Bass CUB AG100 2x5 Acoustic Guitar Amplifier | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

I'm looking for one to check out. On this forum, TieDyedDevil has one and is a fan.
    I'm still a fan of the Cub.

That new Sam Ash price is amazing. I paid $399 for mine when every other retailer was listing the Cub at $500+.

User Info Menu

i wrote almost the same exact heading for a posting on another forum after years of fartsing around with blues juniors, cubes, etc...

ended up getting a headstrong lil' king, which is basically a boutique, handwired blackface Princeton Reverb clone. it cannot be beat for a solo jazz guitar amp, perfect for weddings, practicing, great for recording, even rock gigs with a drummer that isnt crazy loud. one hand for the amp, one for your ax, and you are done!

with an extension cab, bring even the drummer. takes pedals better than any other fender amp i have ever played, and the best sounding reverb of any fender amp in my unhumble opinion. and wayne is the man. guarantees his work and talks with you to come up with what you are looking for. HEADSTRONG amps! check them out.

User Info Menu

Hi all - I play a Gibson ES335 - solo jazz guitar chord melody - the Standards - and am looking for best combo amplifier in the $600/700 price range - am not fussy about brand name but sound must be clean and clssic jazz, ideal for small venues such as cafes, small local clubs - background but best possible quality. The amp should be reasonably easy to carry, and any effects (e.g. reverb, chorus) should work well. Output around about 30w would be fine. Not fussy if tube or transistor.

I use a Crate 20w for home practice.

Any helpful suggestions/recommendations/experiences woud be very welcome.

Am a fan of Polytone and AER amps but they cost a few bucks.

Fav. guitarists include for example Christian, Burrell, Montgomery, Mundell Lowe.

Many thanks - Pequod

P.S. Remember Jimmy Ponder.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pequod
    Hi all - I play a Gibson ES335 - solo jazz guitar chord melody - the Standards - and am looking for best combo amplifier in the $600/700 price range - am not fussy about brand name but sound must be clean and clssic jazz, ideal for small venues such as cafes, small local clubs - background but best possible quality. The amp should be reasonably easy to carry, and any effects (e.g. reverb, chorus) should work well. Output around about 30w would be fine. Not fussy if tube or transistor.

I use a Crate 20w for home practice.

Any helpful suggestions/recommendations/experiences woud be very welcome.

Am a fan of Polytone and AER amps but they cost a few bucks.

Fav. guitarists include for example Christian, Burrell, Montgomery, Mundell Lowe.

Many thanks - Pequod

P.S. Remember Jimmy Ponder.
    Yo might want to try a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pequod
    Hi all - I play a Gibson ES335 - solo jazz guitar chord melody - the Standards - and am looking for best combo amplifier in the $600/700 price range ...
    Here are some SS choices:

A used (or even new) Polytone would fall into that price range.

Check out the Phil Jones CUB AG-100 Guitar Amplifier. The list price is $600, but Sam Ash had it for $300 and I have seen it for $400 elsewhere.

The Fender Jazz King from zZounds.com! goes for $800 new, but it might be hard to find new or used.

You could also look for used Henriksen, JazzKat and Evans amps.

The ZT Lunchbox is a loud but tiny amp: http://www.ztamplifiers.com/ In this forum Mr B. is a big fan. It goes for $260 and you will want to pair it with a speaker cabinet for extra bass. Or you may want to wait until the Fall for their Club 12 to be released. I have read that it will be priced around $400.
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 08-27-2009 at 10:05 PM.

User Info Menu

pequod, you sound like a guy who'd like tubes. jazzarians suggestion is great--you can find a used one, perhaps? how big are the places you're playing? the nicest fender clean tone i ever heard was from a silverface non reverb princeton...people like reverb, so sometimes these can be had quite reasonably.

if you do decide to go soilid state, used polytones can be had for around 300-350...worth every penny, IMHO.

User Info Menu

I have a Peavey valveking 1x12 that I bought whim I think I payed $359.00 new ...It sat in my closet for about 3 years ,a few month ago my fender hot rod deluxe had some bad tubes ... I decided to pull out the VK at frist I would look down on it due to its a cheap amp ,after playing for a while it turn out to be a nice the amp the clean is very nice fender like with alot of head room almost all the way to 10 (sweet) ...It has what they call (texture) class A class AB but really what I think it is some kind of power reduction when I use it only one tube glows (cuts power by 60 %)when the texture is on full power it's very marshall like. half way fender like and cut all the way it"s very vox like...The EQ is very responsive almost seems active, it only weighs only 40 pounds not bad for a all tube amp ...I am breaking in a vintage 30 speaker right now so that I can put it in...I put in some JJ tubes just for fun...IMO the reverb is not good I keep it very low or off...The drive channel is great for me thick I keep the drive on 3 the master on 5 and thats all I need for a semi clean but when I dig in breaks up nicely lots of sustain when I kick in the gain boost even at 3 on the drive its almost to much with the gain boost also has a volume boost... The effects loop is the most quiet one the I ever heard not even a hiss.
    Last edited by bluemood; 08-28-2009 at 12:45 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm joining this thread belatedly and admit to not having read every word of it. Re. Cube 60, the amp block actually weighs more than a Henriksen head, so the MDF cabinet is not the sole culprit.

By the way, the cabinet is really tight so you can't replace the original (amazingly good) speaker with just anything, unless you mount it on the ouside of the front panel. Celestion's and possibly other neodymium speakers will fit in, shaving the weight by some 2 lbs. The basic Henriksen 10" combo weighs less than a stock Cube 60 but moves less air and costs apx. 2.5 X.

Currently, I use the Henriksen Convertible for jazz gigs and the Cube 60 for dance music. Like all other amps I've tried, they have a number of little black knobs for tweaking the sound around. Apart from the sound, weight and portability have led me to this choice, leaving an all-tube Koch Studiotone as the backup. Weird?

User Info Menu

At 32lbs, the Cube 60 isn't as light as one might hope. Its replacement, the Cube 80x, at 35lbs is as heavy as a Evans SE200 (which boasts 200 watts and a 15" speaker -- a Polytone on steroids).

I assume this must be because the Cubes, being inexpensive amps, have cabinets made not from solid wood but from that sawdust + glue stuff that weighs a ton.
    I gave mine away because it had no tone at all especially on treble strings. I would lug a blues deluxe around 45llbs because of its rich smooth top end tone and sustain, older yamaha amps are good but as heavy as a valve amp.