The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

I noticed that Guitar Center is offering a sale on TIs 12s n 13s.Does shelf life matter?Or is one on line store the same as the next.I am a litttle over an hour away from GC.So no problem to drive there.I would have to make it worth my while and test a few things but not happy with there in stock things mostly.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just my experience here but, I have had zero luck with TI strings. I can see no reason to buy them unless they are all thats available. As far as Im concerned in this case, you dont get what you pay for. At least I didnt! I did not get mine from GC. so my opinion is about the TI strings themselves . Pm me and Ill give you details if you like. Bob

Just PMd you

User Info Menu

I sometimes wonder how the plain brass coated strings do if they have been on the shelf for a long time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EarlBrother
    Does shelf life matter?Or is one on line store the same as the next.
    In my experience: No. Unless of course the manufacturer change something in the production. That did happen to some LaBella flatwound strings a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TopOfTheArch
    Just my experience here but, I have had zero luck with TI strings. I can see no reason to buy them unless they are all thats available.

Not my experience. I like them quite a lot. But string choice is such an individual thing. BTW, TI strings are cheaper in Europe than i US.

User Info Menu

Last edited by helios; 02-27-2017 at 12:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Top of the Arch!
    Just my experience here but, I have had zero luck with TI strings. I can see no reason to buy them unless they are all thats available. As far as Im concerned in this case, you dont get what you pay for. At least I didnt! I did not get mine from GC. so my opinion is about the TI strings themselves . Pm me and Ill give you details if you like. Bob
    I'm sure all of us would be interested in your details. They are extremely popular (and although I do use chromes now on one guitar, all of my other archtops have TI swings or benson strings on them.)

I bought a bunch of TI strings in bulk a number of years ago and over about 8 years went through them all. They kept just fine. The only potential problem is oxidation so just keep them sealed and in a dry place and you'll be fine.

I wish my guitar center carried them because I would stock up again for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EarlBrother
    I noticed that Guitar Center is offering a sale on TIs 12s n 13s.
    Really? Maybe the sale has just ended because I just went to their website and they're selling the Benson 12's for a lot more than I have ever paid for them. Seems to me I used to buy them for around $25 a set, and they're listing them for $39!!! Maybe it's just your local GC that's having a blowout sale?

Thomastik GB112 Medium Light George Benson Custom Flatwound Guitar Strings | Guitar Center

Sorry jasaco the swing 12s and 13s were listed as little under 21.00 where i saw them other places for 4 or 5 dollars more.Wow i just looked at GC link 38.00! ouch.But then some can swing excuse the pun these prices and I enjoy there observations.A friend of mine notice i had bought a pretty pricey bottle of wine considering my financial state at the time.I said Its part of my vacation cost this time around.Once in while you can can enjoy some of the finer things in life but i probably will never have a guitar worth putting those on.Thats why i dress to the nines go to Gruhns and lay my hands on a few of those once in awhile then while im dressed i hit a car lot or 2.Them new Corvettes are sweet!!!lol
    Last edited by EarlBrother; 02-27-2017 at 06:47 AM.

User Info Menu

I've used DR Pure Blues on my tele's & 335 for years. I just recently bought a Eastman archtop. I bought a set of the TI Swings because I had read such glowing reviews. Personally I did not care for them at the time. I guess if I were strictly a jazz player then maybe so. Just a little to thuddy for my taste. I've had a set of Newtone ArchTop nickels on for a couple of months. A little bright at first but have now settled in just fine and has a nice fat, warm tone for cleans sounds and has a good bite for bluesier tunes. To each his own.

Thanks BFrench i 've had Newtones on mine for a few months and either i am unknowingly adjusting my playing or the strings are actually getting less string noise just from playing them.I still want to explore flats though.

User Info Menu

I'd maybe try the D'Addario Chromes flatwound first, an inexpensive trial and personally I don't think the sound and feel will be that much difference to warrant the cost for a trial run...I put a set of the Chromes on one of my tele's a few days back. Just haven't had time to really check them out but first impression wasn't off-putting in the least.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane

Not my experience. I like them quite a lot. But string choice is such an individual thing. BTW, TI strings are cheaper in Europe than i US.
    I know what souvenir I'm buying if I go on holiday in Europe!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I know what souvenir I'm buying if I go on holiday in Europe!
    Even in Europe, T-is are not commonly found in the shops. Your best bet is to get them from Thomann, Schneider Musik or Saiten dot de and have them shipped. Thomann has a flat shipping fee of €30 up to a weight of 30Kg (actual or volumetric) to NA. Could be worth it when you buy 10 sets or more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Even in Europe, T-is are not commonly found in the shops. Your best bet is to get them from Thomann, Schneider Musik or Saiten dot de and have them shipped. Thomann has a flat shipping fee of €30 up to a weight of 30Kg (actual or volumetric) to NA. Could be worth it when you buy 10 sets or more.
    Hmm...the trouble is customs hits you on this side

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Hmm...the trouble is customs hits you on this side
    Move to Oregon! The weather's great

User Info Menu

Oregon seceded from the US? Why wasn't that in the news? Or did I miss it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Move to Oregon! The weather's great
    Not sure they let me into the US anymore

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Oregon seceded from the US? Why wasn't that in the news? Or did I miss it?
    British Columbia is not part of États-Unis, that's why. The upside is, they didn't vote for the man in the oval office...

I just found a place that has Rotosound Monels for $7.50 i think any way $7 and some change.Its called Sound Sellect llc.Not affiliated at all!!I have not bought from them know nothing about them.

User Info Menu

Just based on personal experience; I think the chances of a US customs charge on bulk order of strings from Thomann is remote, and not a huge dollar number even if you get one.

I took my 3/4 cassical and my concert classical and my Gibby LP and loosened the strings down to a B tuning to try and immulate the described feel of the Labella Black Tape 12s Would that be an idea of the feel of this gauge Tapes?If so i kind of like it.But i keep hearing about Eastman Laminate archtops not doing so well with anything other than round wound 12s.I hope i am making sense here.

User Info Menu

Archtops need relatively high tension in order to drive the top enough to give decent acoustic sound, and for that matter amplified sound from a set pickup. It's more important with a solid carved top, but it also makes a difference with laminated tops. The pickup moving with the top, under the vibrating strings, gives a more complex tone. If the top doesn't move much, the tone will be somewhat more like a solidbody.

User Info Menu

I stock up TI's when I find a sale and store them in a ziplock bag with a silica gel pack in the bag. No tarnish problems so far (but I don't live in Oregon).