The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

It's the old story: I used to own one, and threw it out when it puked 'cause I couldn't find a repair tech. Now someone has given me some lessons taped on cassettes.

I like this look and I'd prefer new or as new as I can get. I know the cassette format is old.....but any help, ideas appreciated.

Thanks !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There are lots on ebay. If you don't need the radio you have more choices. I bought one that connects to a computer via USB, for digitizing the cassette tapes I have. If you don't like ebay, there is always Amazon, I guess.

User Info Menu

Yeah that would be my response also, eBay...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    There are lots on ebay. If you don't need the radio you have more choices. I bought one that connects to a computer via USB, for digitizing the cassette tapes I have. If you don't like ebay, there is always Amazon, I guess.
    Thanks !

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    This bears looking into. I think the last car I had with a cassette player was a 1986 Mercury station wagon. Still have probably 100 cassettes, which are probably still good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldenwave77
    This bears looking into. I think the last car I had with a cassette player was a 1986 Mercury station wagon. Still have probably 100 cassettes, which are probably still good.

I know I'm spoiled.....and I'm still kicking myself 'cause I pitched a Sony tv / cassette recorder that needed a cassette repair......of course, it was otherwise bullet proof....I didn't find out ( 'til it was too late ) that there was a guy in town still repairing them.....

I read these reviews and some of the owners of the new / current ones can't get a year of use before something breaks...

...and, ah yes, gotta love them ol' Mercury station wagons !!.........

User Info Menu

Toyota Aisin EA900 Vintage Boombox Sharp GF 909 777 999 JDM Rare | eBay

I don't know but at one point in my life when I needed to be more mobile I sold my stereo and got one of these. They later became known as the holy grail of boom boxes and RunDMC solidified it by shooting an album cover holding one. My brother still has it. He uses it as a PA at parties.

User Info Menu

hit the local thrift stores, you can get a boom box for under $10

User Info Menu

There are a lot of antique stores in the local area that have an interest in old electronics--goes all the way from basement crap to high-end audiophile stuff.

There's an antique store near my house specializing in mid-century furniture, also featuring quite a few mid-century stereo components of high quality--Pioneer, Marantz, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Toyota Aisin EA900 Vintage Boombox Sharp GF 909 777 999 JDM Rare | eBay

I don't know but at one point in my life when I needed to be more mobile I sold my stereo and got one of these. They later became known as the holy grail of boom boxes and RunDMC solidified it by shooting an album cover holding one. My brother still has it. He uses it as a PA at parties.

Wow - -w/ a selling price of $1300. ??

Go figure.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Wow - -w/ a selling price of $1300. ??

Go figure.....
    Boombox Ghettoblaster Sharp GF-777Z full working / worldwide shipping

Actually it was this model. I don't know when the top of the market was for these, but they started to claim a pretty penny. I think that I paid $300 for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Boombox Ghettoblaster Sharp GF-777Z full working / worldwide shipping

Actually it was this model. I don't know when the top of the market was for these, but they started to claim a pretty penny. I think that I paid $300 for it.
    Here's the one I had......

VINTAGE Sony FX-310 TV-FM/AM Radio Cassette Corder Japan Television WORKS GREAT! | eBay The tv was no big deal, but it had pretty good / surprisingly good sound and was easy to record.

PS. I'm surprised they actually referred to the Sharp as 'ghettoblaster '.( ? )

User Info Menu

Thrift and Goodwill stores are a very good bet as are estate sales. When we moved my Mom out of her home of over 50 years, we sold four of those devices for a few bucks each.

dave

User Info Menu

I bought my wife a Sony boombox with CD/Cassette/Mp3, w/Remote for under $50 a few years back. She loves it!

Here's a bunch on Amazon. You can find almost anything on Amazon!)

Amazon.com: sony cd cassette boombox - Home Audio: Electronics

User Info Menu

i think 1985 does

failing that, and all the above, my local cvs has become a graveyard for obsolete media. they still carry blank cassette tapes and blank cds and the odd clock radio, telephone, tv antenna and such, for whatever reason. if you are in the area or are going to be there anyway, maybe take a peek.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet

i think 1985 does
    " - -Ah, but I was so much older then, - - -"