The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What strikes me are the overall similarities (within a range) and the fact that I seem to like the ones with which I am familar - Strat/Tele/Jaguar/P-90/PAF(actually Patent Sticker; same face, different day)/PRS. I find the Gold Foil and the Trons to be intriguing, and I could see myself utilizing the lipsticks, as well.
    But I am a guitar junkie, so there you go.

User Info Menu

For me, this video demonstrates why I would never buy a pickup, guitar or amplifier based solely on a you tube video. I frequent the Dream Guitar website on a periodic basis to see what new guitar they have in stock. Al Petteway plays pretty much the same tune on every guitar. One would be hard pressed to distinguish any significant differences between them

User Info Menu

That was great...I also like that other video you posted with the guitar made of concrete...

User Info Menu

reaffirms my love of jazzmaster and p90 neck pups!...(tho i'd take'm all!! haha)...cool vid...thanks

cheers

User Info Menu

The P90 stands out to me every time, but I think that Victoria amp made them all sound pretty good.

User Info Menu

I liked it a lot, thanks MG. All slight variations of color. It was interesting how the differences got bigger and smaller based on the location of the pickup and the drive level. Thanks to this video, I am a bigger fan of my volume tone knobs on my guitar and my EQ .

User Info Menu

well, i've only watched the clean clips so far, so here are a few quick, reactionary comments that aren't well thought out:

first, as the sort of guy who'd notice, no dynasonics? really? i guess you guys would want to hear a charlie christian, too, but that's pretty nichey and the exclusion can be understood. by no dynasonics seems wrong. you could grump a bit out firebird style minis being excluded, too, but the real minis are cooler anyway.

second, powertrons? again, that just seems wrong. because they're 75% pafs to begin with, and they were used with the mud switch in both clips, further darkening them, which also makes me wonder how the guitars' volumes and tones were set for each clip. but it isn't like they didn't have dynasonics or filtertrons (or tv classics) lying around. that was just silly.

and maybe the only guitar that actually sounded really good in the neck and bridge? mini'd lp. most of the single coils sounded pretty similar, especially in the neck, but most of the guitars sounded passable to solid in the neck. a few of the hb's didn't, but i again wonder how the tone knobs were set. most than a few guitars struggled with at the bridge, but only the jazzmaster and rickenbacker flat out wet the bed with that banjo-y sound. the lp special managed to be soft and wooly in both postions, like listening to a sweater. the prs sounded pretty good played, but inexplicably sounded terrible during the opening strum. most of the fenders sort of just ran together.

User Info Menu

Man, I'm so boring - I liked the Strat, the Tele and the Les Paul. ... but I kind of knew from all the gear inferno of the past, that the classic designs work the best for me. Thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

This video provides little information, but it is the result of a fair amount of work. And you can get some idea of the differences among the pickups.

My fervor in pickups has gone full circle. When I began, I had no strong feelings. I was far more focused on fretting and more technical aspects. I played Gretsches, Fenders, and Gibsons, the last with humbuckers, a McCarty and P-90s. There was no deficit in tone that I could blame on the guitars.

I went through a long phase of sorting through pickups, though I wasn't as bad as some.

Now I can find something I can like in any quality pickup. They are different, it's true. All have their virtues.

Next time you feel like you want a different tone from your pickups, save your money and adjust your mind. At least consider this.

User Info Menu

I'm a little surprised how much I liked the gold foils and Jazzmasters, and it sort of confirmed my dislike of mini HB's (at least in a solid body).

User Info Menu

I'm in the camp that would be just fine with any of them. I feel that many of the marginal differences between them could be taken care of with the twist of a tone knob on an amp or guitar.

User Info Menu

Still like good ole PAF's. But then again I NEVER used the tone and volume knobs. Just beginning to experiment and I'm finding myself move to the camp that says pickup doesn't matter as much as I once thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Louder sounds better, the p90s were louder. He should have level matched for the comparisons to be fair.

User Info Menu

This is one of the most powerful and helpful items I have seen online.

I keep saying it: "We make a big, big deal about little, little distinctions."

Thank you for reinforcing of the substantial value of practicing the guitar -- which I don't do enough of -- relative to the modest value of twiddling with gear -- which I do a little. Well, um, more than a little, really.

User Info Menu

I only listened to the 'clean neck' which was all I was interested in and the Strat and Tele still do it for me better than any of the others. I personally, would roll them off a little but each to his own.

User Info Menu

Do you folks see this as a comparison of guitars or a comparison of pickups?
    As a scientist, it irks me to see two variables changed at the same time...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    Do you folks see this as a comparison of guitars or a comparison of pickups?
    As a scientist, it irks me to see two variables changed at the same time...
    Yeah me too. I thought the same guitar would swap out 13 pickups. It was a fun, but not rigorous comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk