The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31
    That's funny I was just recently searching for those online and I see that they are discontinued. I am not a big person. One of those thinner bodies would be great. They look like really sweet guitars too. Congrats!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's my 1996 Sorrento (Peerless-made). And it is the perfect couch guitar. Full hollow, thin body. Perfect for smaller people.

Epiphone Sorrento-epiphone-sorrento-10-jpgEpiphone Sorrento-epiphone-sorrento-7-jpg

User Info Menu

Va3ux -- That is a beauty !

I played both a Load 301T and an Epi Reissue Century today. Both sounded good acoustically, I really liked the unamped sound, and both had terrible action and I mean baaaaad, probably 3/16" + at the 12th fret and the 301T's bridge was almost all the way down which means you'd have to shave the bridge where it contacts the thumb screws to lower the action. Both also had too much relief in the neck as well. The Loar had rather sharp fret ends and neither felt smooth to play.

I didn't see any of the Sorrento Epi's around so for those that have played both does the Sorrento sound similar to the Century? One can always change pups/electronics.

User Info Menu

The more relief the neck has, the lower the bridge will need to be. It's possible that the neck has way too much relief, and a truss rod adjustment would be enough to get the bridge back up higher. It's also possible that it won't. Impossible to say without seeing the guitar. But bad setups are the norm for lower-priced instruments. It costs time and money to do a good setup, and that doesn't often happen. The nut slots are also probably very high, because cutting the slots to the proper height also takes time, plus if a slot is cut just a hair too deep, you have to start over with a new nut. So they just cut them high and get on to the next guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Naquat
    Va3ux -- That is a beauty !

I played both a Load 301T and an Epi Reissue Century today. Both sounded good acoustically, I really liked the unamped sound, and both had terrible action and I mean baaaaad, probably 3/16" + at the 12th fret.
    I had a go of and Epi Centuary and was left feeling both underwhelmed and disappointed.
    It felt like a carbon copy of an original. The lacquer didn't help and the nut was too narrow. At the price point these are going out at I guess these units are more for show with no mojo!

User Info Menu

I have an original New York Epi Century. It's the cheapest archtop Epiphone offered, AFAIK. I haven't seen one of the new repros. The original has a relatively narrow, thick neck, which is fine for chords, not as great for single-note melody. But it's not a bad guitar, after a lot of work.