The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Hy Jazzers,

I am looking for a guitar in the future.
    It is ment for jazz rock , fusion jazz but it needs a floyd rose.
    The Budget: everything under 3000 EUR.

It has to have a fast, slim neck.
    Needs a floyd rose
    double cutaway
    no extreme shapes
    nice wood

go crazy

I know this is rather undetailed but I want to see other peoples opinion so feel free to share what you think.

thank you

let me get you started I will post somme pics myself

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Personally, I can't stand guitars like that. However, jazz/fusion is played on all sorts of guitars. Looking at guys in that vein like DeMiola, Holdsworth, Henderson, Stern, et al, those guys play pretty diverse instruments.

Ibanez is certainly known for slim necks, double cuts and whammy bars. Nice woods=veneer. You might get a very thin cap, but most of those guitars, including the ones in the photos are gonna be veneers.

Not sure what 3k Euros equals in US, but sounds like a bunch. If so, then I would consider Grosh, Anderson, Sadowsky, Tyler, and Suhr in my search. Happy hunting.

Jazzarian Guest
    Why do you insist on a Floyd Rose equipped guitar? I've never seen Robben Ford or Larry Carlton with such.

I have seen a few metal idiots that masquerade as fusion players, like Scott Henderson with such. He doesn't sound much different than Steve Vai these days.

Others, like Gambale have left the Dinky Strat world behind. Good idea!

I'd suggest a PRS Custom 24, Gibson SG or Les Paul Standard, McInturf, Hammer, etc, devoid of whammy and Rose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian
    Why do you insist on a Floyd Rose equipped guitar? I've never seen Robben Ford or Larry Carlton with such.

I have seen a few metal idiots that masquerade as fusion players, like Scott Henderson with such. He doesn't sound much different than Steve Vai these days.

Others, like Gambale have left the Dinky Strat world behind. Good idea!

I'd suggest a PRS Custom 24, Gibson SG or Les Paul Standard, McInturf, Hammer, etc, devoid of whammy and Rose.
    Not sure why you choose to bash Scott Henderson. I understand if you don't care for his music, but he is one of the best players on the planet. I know plenty of straight ahead jazz guys who admire him, but aren't necessarily into his music.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Not sure why you choose to bash Scott Henderson. I understand if you don't care for his music, but he is one of the best players on the planet. I know plenty of straight ahead jazz guys who admire him, but aren't necessarily into his music.
    Fusion players never used to sound like metal players. Henderson does. I don't like that. I've heard quite a few Tribal Tech songs and found them very unappealing. Let's call the genre "smooth Vai".

Many people cite Henderson's work with Chick Corea. The nice sounding solos were really Carlos Rios NOT Henderson. Rios does NOT sound like a metal head.

I guess you could say, I don't like metal, even if the player went to Berklee.

User Info Menu

One of the other teachers at the store I teach at used to have a G&L with a Floyd, I guess like the one you have pictured. It was stolen and he bought my Ibanez RG. It wasn't a Prestige model like you have pictured, but it was one of the nicer Japanese ones. He said at first that nothing would replace the G&L, but he has really enjoyed my Ibanez. It's kind of a third hand account, but I hope it helps somewhat. Both companies make incredible guitars when they want to. I would also suggest putting a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck of whatever you get; they have such a clear, smooth sound to them.

I always love metal debates. So delightfully polarizing. Dimebag Darrell's solo on Black Sabbath's "Planet Caravan" from Pantera's "Far Beyond Driven" album is all I'm gonna say.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bkdavidson

I always love metal debates. So delightfully polarizing. Dimebag Darrell's solo on Black Sabbath's "Planet Caravan" from Pantera's "Far Beyond Driven" album is all I'm gonna say.

You wouldn't want to compare DD to Kurt Rosenwinkel. Trust me. No sane person would.

User Info Menu

I love computers because you can't express sarcasm or any kind of "tongue-in-cheekness" and some people take you way too seriously. I was actually comparing him to Wes Montgomery. . . . .

So who's gonna prove my point on this last one?

User Info Menu

Let's call the genre "smooth Vai".

"Smooth Via"? That's pretty funny.

User Info Menu

i'm not sure where the "planet caravan" arguement is supposed to go...cool tune, good solo...not sure if that's gonna polarize too many folks.

as for the guitar, can't say i like anything about the shreddy ibanezes, but that's just because they're the exact opposite of what i like, so who knows? they might perfectly suit you.

i've played a few things mr. suhr has made and i've been nothing short of enamored...even though that look isn't my favorite, they are PLAYERS. you have a lot of options as far as neck profile and fret size too. but NOT cheap, but it looks like you have a pretty big budget.

User Info Menu

The "Planet Caravan" part of the argument wasn't meant to polarize so much, just my addition and kind of an intentional bad joke. Anytime metal is brought up here it really seems to polarize people. I'm very glad you have such a diplomatic response, Mr. B.

Getting back to the OP, those Ibanez wizard necks are amazing. I can do things on those guitars that I can't do on anything else. I realize that comment has potential to get flamed with a bunch of "equipment doesn't make the player" kind of comments, so just know that's not what I'm saying. They're very easy to play necks that make anything you can already do a lot easier. You won't run faster or jump higher, but some things that are just out of reach become attainable. I've owned a couple of those shreddy Ibanez gtrs, but end up selling them because I don't want a Floyd Rose. Another consideration if you have a big budget and you're picky is Warmoth.

User Info Menu

i do get what you're saying abut the wizard necks--there are certain things that are very easy to do on them.

for me, though, there nothing i do on a regular basis. in fact, for what i do (slides, difficult chords, jazz in general) their more difficult on a wizard neck! this why the world is cool man, different strokes for different folks.

i'll never knock metal, dimebag in particular. he was a monster player in his genre, and in interviews, he always came off as a down to earth, relaxed, cool dude who inspired many to pick up a guitar, some of whom are my students, some of whom are getting into jazz. go figure.

back to the OP--parting together a guitar from warmoth might be the ultimate fix for you...something to think about...you could, in theory, have it exactly like you want it...i've seen guys buy all parts for a guitar, then take it to someone who for a few hundred bucks, will "assemble" your dream guitar.

of course, part of me wants to say man up and buy a telecaster too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    of course, part of me wants to say man up and buy a telecaster too.
    I thought the expression was "Cowboy up and ..." all the more so vis-a-vis a Tele

I was browsing the Warmoth site. How cool! I mentally put together my dream neck:

* width: 1 3/4", but I'm intrigued by the super wide 1 7/8, for finger picking. I like to doodle on a cheap classical guitar and it has a 2" neck.
    * shape: fat neck. Definitely. I like it to feel like a bat.
    * length: 25 1/2"
    * fret wire: Hate jumbos or mini jumbos. Guess that would mean Fender vintage for me.
    * Radius: quite flat, surely not that crazy 7" vintage. Mebbe 10-12"
    * Fretboard: Ebony, or rosewood. Just not maple.
    * Neck wood: No idea. Maple is fine.

You can see I'd never stumble across a Tele neck like that in the wild.

One thing about Warmoth necks that seems odd to me is with the truss rod: why isn't it adjustable at the headstock? What a pain to have to remove it to adjust it.

User Info Menu

cuz that's the way leo wanted it, dammit!

actually, i'm only kind of kidding...fender had to be talked into putting a truss rod at all into his early necks (thanks don!)

i guess they're marketed to those who want that authentic vintage look. personally, i'd like it at the headstock, but i'dlike everyone else's guitars in the whole world to have their truss rods as hard to acess as possible. if i had a dollar for everytime somebody brought a guitar into the shop i teach at with a truss rod that's been ridiculously overadjusted, i'd have enough dough to buy a couple of warmoth necks.

hmmmm....you got me thinkin' bigdaddy...my ideal neck is fat and wide and maple...with tiny-ass frets and a 7.25" radius.

and the best thing about it--no one would ever want to play my guitar!

User Info Menu

'Good think we don't agree on the ideal neck. Otherwise I'd have to kill you for the guitar!

User Info Menu

An aside:

Mr B, I recently noticed this new winery close to where I live: Beaumont Estate Family Winery. Their marque is a G clef and their slogan is "Wine is friendship set to music".

Jazzarian Guest

hmmmm....you got me thinkin' bigdaddy...my ideal neck is fat and wide and maple...with tiny-ass frets and a 7.25" radius.

Man youse is old school Fender personified. Most new Strats have been heavily Gibson-ized by your reckonin'. Much flatter boards and "medium jumbo" frets, 22 in all!

I love my 2008 Strat. Sienna Sunburst with maple neck. Gorgeous guitar.

PS: Fender had a massive price increase in 2009. The guitar I bought last year sells for over 33% more this year. Is that some kind of depression insanity?

User Info Menu

PS: Fender had a massive price increase in 2009. The guitar I bought last year sells for over 33% more this year. Is that some kind of depression insanity?
    My favorite Fender insanity: the Custom '57 Champ:

1 control (volume)
    3 tubes
    5 watts
    8" speaker
    $1,000 street ($1,300 list)

User Info Menu

yeah, i'm pretty much done buying anything new from fender...the price increase couldn't have come at a worse time--and they're hurtin' a bit because of it--you see some wild deals every now and then because dealers are trying to get rid of stock...but i'm not in the market for anything fender related...

if i do buy another guitar, it won't be for years, and i think i'd like a nice single cutaway shallow but hollow body...

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    My favorite Fender insanity: the Custom '57 Champ:

1 control (volume)
    3 tubes
    5 watts
    8" speaker
    $1,000 street ($1,300 list)
    Oh but it looks so "vintage". Let me guess, it's "handwired" (by some poor Mexican in 15 minutes)?

I wouldn't mind a new Blackface Deluxe Reissue. The Super Sonic looks to be somewhat Boogie-esque with a real Fender clean channel. I'm told its made from PCB hecho en Mexico however.

I want a new Glaswerks Overdrive (Du Jour). Some claim it to be the best Dumble clone yet.

Jazzarian Guest

if i do buy another guitar, it won't be for years, and i think i'd like a nice single cutaway shallow but hollow body...

Ah yes, the Gibson L5 CT model (George Gobel) might be what ye seek. John Tropea plays a blonde one. Gorgeous archtop.

Rosenwinkel plays some (Japanese) D'Angelico archtop with a fairly shallow body.

Can't think of any Benedetto or Buscarino shallow body arcthops, they must have made a few.

User Info Menu

This is Mr B we're talking about here. I'm sure he's alluding to a Tele Thinline!

User Info Menu

ha ha ha! nah, i got one of those!

User Info Menu

From what I've seen, Fender is offering rebates and dropping prices. I just got a Fender Super Champ XD that was recently reduced (not the MF Friday Deal, just an across the board price drop). Someone in the biz mentioned to me that Fender has had some layoffs recently, so prices may drop a bit.