The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 64

User Info Menu

I"ve been looking at the Line6 Relay G10 wireless system for awhile, and finally decided to get one.

I'm impressed with it. It's as close to idiot-proof as possible, I think. Put power to the receiver, plug the transmitter into the guitar, and play. That's it. It certainly passes all the frequencies, and I had to turn down the highs just a little, even after using George L cables. The transmitter came mostly charged, and only took 15 minutes or so to top off. The receiver uses a microUSB cable for power, and I've been using a small battery phone charger for power to it, just to see if it would work. It's been on for about 3 hours, and still working fine. It doesn't seem to need a lot of power. I've ordered a battery pack quoted as "50000 mAh" off ebay, although I think they may have added a zero there. 5000 mAh is fine, though, and should last for many hours. I've been thinking about one of those for my phone anyway. I also have a 9V battery that I've been using with my HOF mini reverb, and I think I can get by now with needing AC only for an amp. If I go direct to a PA with the XLR out, I don't need AC at all.

The G10 seems to work very well, with decent range. I went to the far end of the house and lost signal, through 3 walls and lots of wall furniture. but I don't expect to ever need to play through walls. Being unshackled from a cable is really nice, and the increase in fidelity is also nice. The transmitter sticks out of the guitar about the same length as most straight 1/4" plugs, and it comes with a right-angle adapter that keeps it really close to the guitar body. Switching guitars is a matter of unplugging the transmitter and plugging it into the other guitar, easier than a cable, and it has a silent plug so there is no noise during the transfer. I think this will live up to the sales pitch.

Line 6 Relay G10 Digital Wireless Guitar System-line-6-g10-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I thought I'd see how long the receiver would run on a phone charge battery. I didn't find out. After 10 hours, I gave up, through with everything for the day, and not willing to stay up and watch to see when it died. I was using a giveaway charger battery, listed at 2200 mAh, and it lasted for 10 continuous hours and was still powering the receiver when I gave up. I don't ever plan to play for 10 hours straight. I didn't play for 10 hours today, but the receiver stays on to be ready when the transmitter starts sending, and I don't think the receiver ever sleeps. The transmitter stayed plugged into a guitar all that time and still had power. It went into sleep mode of course, so that's no surprise. But I was surprised that the receiver lasted as long as it did on the small battery stick. I see no problem at all playing a gig on one, although I'd probably have another on hand, since they're cheap and all electronic gadgets can die suddenly. I'm liking the G10.

FWIW, the AC adapter that comes with it is not ideal. It's larger than necessary, but that may be because it comes with a bunch of plug options, so it can be used anywhere in the world. I'm using an adapter that came with an old Samsung phone I no longer use, a lot smaller than the provided unit, but still rated at 1amp. These should be pretty readily available these days. The supplied unit works fine, just a little bulkier than necessary, and any adapter that provides 5 volts at 1 amp will work. I use the AC adapter at home, mostly for keeping the transmitter charged, but don't plan to take it out.
    Last edited by sgosnell; 01-24-2017 at 11:04 PM.

User Info Menu

I have one of these as well. I haven't tested it quite as rigorously, but I like it a lot. It's pretty much idiot-proof, plug-n-play which is what I wanted. Excellent sound. I'd tried some of the cheaper Nady units and they all had a kind of compressed sound, even a hair of latency, and I couldn't take it. But this is just as responsive as a good quality cable.

User Info Menu

I'm seriously considering ordering one. I see it as an insurance policy. I have come close to tripping over cables and certainly know others who have. Some of them cracked their tops or rims, some cracked their headstocks.

I also don't like cables getting caught under the wheels of my chair.

I don't know how the g10 compares to the Xvive.

Amazon.com: Xvive U2 rechargeable 2.4GHZ Wireless Guitar System - Digital Guitar Transmitter Receiver (Black): Musical Instruments

Any thoughts?

User Info Menu

No idea, never heard of that one. The size of the receiver seems very convenient. But so far I see no downside to the G10. I still catch myself worrying about the cord when I stand up, but I guess that will go away with time. It has no bearing on the make or model of course, but I just mentioned it in response to your worries about tripping over cords. I'm the same way, and it takes some getting used to, not having the cable underfoot.

Yesterday I took it to a place I play regularly, and it was great to be able to take it out to the middle and back rows of seats to hear how it sounds. It's hard for me to judge how it sounds to the audience normally, with the amp placed somewhat in front of me. It's not ideal placement, but it's the only possible choice. Being able to move around freely is an eye-opening experience for me.
    Last edited by sgosnell; 01-25-2017 at 02:35 PM.

User Info Menu

I have the Xvive as well, at my office; the Line6 thing is at home. The Xvive is really good too. Easy to use. The only hangup is the internal, proprietary battery. Battery life is pretty good, though, and sound fidelity is excellent too. It's easier to throw in the case or gear bag or (in my case) brief case.

As for sound, ease of use, I think either one is excellent.

I would NOT recommend the much cheaper "Donner" wireless. The sound is good, the set up is easy, and you'd think using standard AAA batteries would be more convenient. But the battery only lasts about and hour, and you have no warning your battery is about to die, and when it does, a terrible screech emanates through your amp!

User Info Menu

There are a fair number of negative reviews of the Xvive on Amazon, and they seem to be mostly about losing the signal between the transmitter and receiver, even at short distances. I have no idea whether or not they're valid, as I've never seen one, but there don't seem to be many cases of that reported for the Line 6. For me it just works, but I've mostly used it in one room. I don't have enough experience with it to say anything for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I'm seriously considering ordering one. I see it as an insurance policy. I have come close to tripping over cables and certainly know others who have. Some of them cracked their tops or rims, some cracked their headstocks.

I also don't like cables getting caught under the wheels of my chair.

I don't know how the g10 compares to the Xvive.

Amazon.com: Xvive U2 rechargeable 2.4GHZ Wireless Guitar System - Digital Guitar Transmitter Receiver (Black): Musical Instruments

Any thoughts?
    Marty, as you may have seen, Lawson-Stone has both and is quite positive about them. I am quite keen on
    the idea as I can easily trip over nothing! A suggestion however, I run my guitar cables through the
    part of the strap nearest to the jack input, then run the cable round the back of me between
    the back of the chair ,almost sitting on the cable. which runs to my left and not trailing in front of me
    and going to the Amp. .
    You may laugh at the simplicity, but as one who is more than a tad clumsy, it works for me.
    Last edited by silverfoxx; 01-26-2017 at 05:25 AM.

User Info Menu

I also generally run the cable through the strap, just to put the strain on the strap pin instead of the output jack when the cable inevitably gets jerked. I plan on keeping a cable in the case, just in case, but being able to play without out it is really nice.

User Info Menu

Two days ago I bought the G10 too. Only used in the house but it's very good. No latency, clear sound, idiot proof, decent build quality. Decent price as well, I thought (£144 in UK). Playing without a cable is quite liberating.

User Info Menu

After reading this thread, I checked out the Xvive unit and decided to order it from Amazon. Set it up yesterday at a family members house and it worked great. Used at my house last night for about 2 hours until I noticed some intermittent signal drops. I thought it might just be the battery on the receiver so I put the both units on the charger. Plug it in today and it kept losing the signal, then the unit introduced a significant amount of low level hum. I tried all 4 channels multiple times but no luck with the signal drops or noise. So it is going back tomorrow. I guess I'll try the Line 6. I liked the freedom from the cord.
    Last edited by rob taft; 01-29-2017 at 07:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gnashville
    Playing without a cable is quite liberating.
    ^ This. I have a G10 as well.

User Info Menu

I just realized today that my entire wireless system fits in the guitar case. Barely, but it fits. The receiver is a little tall for the compartment, but the lid does close enough. I can get it, the transmitter, a battery and charge cable in there easily, and it's a thinline case. If I use the XLR out to a PA, I don't need to carry anything except the guitar and case. It does take a little more space than just a cable, but not that much more.

User Info Menu

I picked up a G10.

Plug and play. Good sound.

I really love it.

Covers all of my house and both floors.

but I'm driving my wife crazy. :-)

It's a cool toy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    There are a fair number of negative reviews of the Xvive on Amazon, and they seem to be mostly about losing the signal between the transmitter and receiver, even at short distances. I have no idea whether or not they're valid, as I've never seen one, but there don't seem to be many cases of that reported for the Line 6. For me it just works, but I've mostly used it in one room. I don't have enough experience with it to say anything for sure.
    Reviving this thread. Been doing a fair amount of reading about Line 6 / Boss WL20 / Xvive, ready to bite on one.

I guess the xVive has a lot a problems with active guitar systems. Something about the guitar's preamp interfering with the transmitter unit, causing noise/squeal. Some work, some don't, it's hit or miss. Since I use electric steel string and nylon often, as well as an active bass, I think I'll pass on this one.

User Info Menu

I kinda like the idea of wireless, but I'm not too keen on the blob thingy that you stick into the guitar instead of a chord.

When those get super micro, I'm in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I have one of these as well. I haven't tested it quite as rigorously, but I like it a lot. It's pretty much idiot-proof, plug-n-play which is what I wanted. Excellent sound. I'd tried some of the cheaper Nady units and they all had a kind of compressed sound, even a hair of latency, and I couldn't take it. But this is just as responsive as a good quality cable.
    I bought this Nady unit and the sound quality is just not there for me. Too much treble and lack of bass IMHO.

I checked out the latest prices for that G10 system and its only around $160.00 on Amazon. I may try and get one later in the year.

Thanks for the reviews.

User Info Menu

The blob sticking out (at least with the G10) is no longer than a standard plug, shorter if you include the cord attached to it, unless you use a right-angle plug, and it comes with a right-angle adapter so that's also covered. The transmitter is fatter than a standard plug, but it's not longer. And IMO the sound quality is better than any cable I've ever tried. I do tend to reduce the treble slightly from what I use with a cable, because of the lack of capacitance treble decrease, but that's not much of a negative.

User Info Menu

I'm still loving my G10 and have never had a problem losing the charge. The Xvive, though, has become unreliable. I think the battery has a short life-time of charge cycles. I notice it burns down faster and faster, and you get drop outs due to the power getting weak. So I'm retiring the Xvive and going with the G10 only.

User Info Menu

I have two G10s. Never a problem.

The do stick out a little, but mine came with a right angle adapter.

While it is not quite perfect, it is better than a cable. It's easier and safer.

User Info Menu

Works, I like it. Guitar does seem a little brighter, easily EQed. Musicians Friend has a price drop. GC matched the price.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the club. I don't want to ever have to go back to a cable.

User Info Menu

These devices are fantastic. I have two of them now and have not plugged into a physical cord in months.

User Info Menu

Looks cool, but many reviews state that the USB power connector is fragile and has broken. Any corroborating experience from you guys?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Looks cool, but many reviews state that the USB power connector is fragile and has broken. Any corroborating experience from you guys?
    That is my concern. I have examined it in the shop and the fears are not unwarranted. The USB connector floats freely of the casing-the casing provides no structural support- and is soldered directly to the PCB. Wonder why Line6 could not have just gone with a standard 9V DC jack secured to the casing.

The way around that is to have a USB cable plugged in once and not unplug it ever again. Still, the leverage on the USB connector from the cable would break it sooner than later.

This aspect needs to be revised before I will consider it.

Has anyone checked out the Roland WL-20?