The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 64

User Info Menu

Don’t gig so it will not be moved about much. Duck taped immobility is in its future. Biggest annoyance is lack of an off switch or a dimmer for the bright led ring on the receiver.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's the same exact connector in almost every Android phone in existence. Those get connected and disconnected multiple times daily, and while they do fail, it's not that common. I've had no problems with mine, but I don't connect/disconnect it every day. I also use a modicum of care about yanking on the cable while it's plugged in. The beauty of using a standard connection is that you don't have to use the power supply and cable that comes with it. I don't bother with finding an AC plug, I just use a cellphone recharging battery with a 6" cable, velcro'd to the receiver, and that powers it for at least 10 hours - I gave up my trial after that. At one place, I play through the PA, and I put the receiver near the PA, using a relatively short patch cable, because i think it sounds better than XLR, for whatever reason. No need for anything else, just the receiver direct into the PA, and it sounds fine, with no need for an extra AC connection, which can be hard to find. I suppose I could find an adapter if the G10 had a different power connection, but I like the convenience of the standard micro USB, because I have probably a dozen of those cables, of all sorts of lengths, and as many power supplies or more, both AC and battery. I really don't expect any problems with the connector unless there is considerable abuse, which is certainly not out of the question for some people, but with reasonable care it shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by sgosnell; 08-08-2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: micro, not mini. The mini is already obsolete.

User Info Menu

I believe that what is in question is how the jack is mounted in the Line6 hardware, not the robustness of the USB connector itself. Can any one else corroborate?

One issue I have is how short the functioning time is from when the warning light comes on to when the battery in the transmitter goes dead. What are other folks experiencing?

User Info Menu

I've never seen the warning light. I keep mine plugged into my guitar all day, until I go to bed at night, and I've never seen the warning light. The jack is mounted to the circuit board, which is as sturdy as I've seen, and the mount is with multiple solder joints. It would take a great deal of force to dislodge it. It's not attached to the case, but the fit is pretty close, so I don't think that movement is a big issue. It's stronger than what you will find on most amp circuit boards, and since the board in the G10 is small, it's not easy to get enough leverage to loosen or break anything. IMO you will break the connector before you loosen it from the board. I really think the fragility of the connector is a non-issue as long as one doesn't get carried away with things. Of course, there are always people who can break anything. You can break a 1/4" connector if you apply enough pressure.

User Info Menu

Soundwise, I really like it. It would be near perfect, if the receiver could also be charged and could be used without a power outlet. But by and large I am really happy with it and I much prefer it over a cable.

User Info Menu

Considering getting one of those portable phone recharger batteries like sgosnell does.

User Info Menu

Have been using the XVIVE system for > 1 year, but they seem to run out of gas at the
    wrong times (so I have multiple sets). I may switch to this Line6 unit just for the charging time.
    (BTW, the XVIVE also use mini USB connectors, w/o ANY issues)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frank67
    Soundwise, I really like it. It would be near perfect, if the receiver could also be charged and could be used without a power outlet. But by and large I am really happy with it and I much prefer it over a cable.
    Just out of curiosity: Why? The receiver doesn't need to be mobile, and you're plugging the amp in anyway.

User Info Menu

At home, I often switch between amps, just for the hell of it, and they aren't all in the same place. It's easy to move the receiver from place to place if I don't have to move the power supply as well. With the little battery velcro'd in place, it's as easy to move as it would be with an internal battery. Having an internal battery would let me carry a little less, although the power supply and cable aren't that huge. The big problem with an internal battery is that the receiver charges the transmitter, so it would discharge the internal battery if left connected with no external power. I don't use the stock power supply in any case, because it's bulky. If I use AC power, I use a cellphone power supply. I have a lot of those lying around and I have no other use for them. My current phone uses USB-C, so most of my cables and power supplies acquired over the years don't get a lot of use. My wife's phone still uses microUSB, but she doesn't need a dozen charging cables. Not to mention all the miniUSB cables I have lying around, utterly useless. The devices those came with are obsolete. This is a serious first-world problem.

User Info Menu

Fair enough. This bit, at least, is easily solved:

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The big problem with an internal battery is that the receiver charges the transmitter, so it would discharge the internal battery if left connected with no external power.
    Unplugging the power supply could turn off the charging function.

My Earthquaker Dispatch Master also requires AC power, so I've gotten in the habit of keeping a power strip in my amp bag.

User Info Menu

I agree that the lack of a rechargeable battery in the receiver isn't a big deal. But including one would increase the cost, perhaps by quite a bit, as it would involve more than just the battery itself. It would be nice, but I don't consider it essential. My TC HOF mini also requires 9V power, but I can use one 5V battery, with two outputs and a cheap converter cable to up the voltage to 9VDC to power both the receiver and the pedal. I don't do it often, but it works well enough. There are lots of ways of getting things powered, and these days most of them are cheap. My total outlay for batteries, cables, etc so far is under $20. Two of my batteries were advertising gimmes. I can easily get by without an internal battery in the receiver.

User Info Menu

What is the benefit of going wireless? The idea used to appeal to me, but I really don't understand for the majority of guitarists why this is so attractive versus an old fashioned cable. The only thing that might be a plus is not tripping over the cable perhaps, but to me this seems to be outweighed by other reliability issues.

I'm genuinely curious as to if I'm missing something here BTW!

User Info Menu

Tripping over a cable is a concern of mine. I use three amps.

User Info Menu

Wireless sounds better, because you don't get high capacitance and signal loss like you do with a long cable. I'm tired of worrying about having a cable in the way all the time. And IME, wireless is as reliable as a cable, maybe moreso. Cables do break, in several ways. I will not willingly go back to being tied to a cable. YMMV.

User Info Menu

The transmitter cuts itself off when unplugged so you can switch guitars without an amp pop. Delightful.

There are YouTube videos of people using both the line and XLR outs to drive two amps. That is not of interest to me but is apparently to many.

User Info Menu

It also works as a direct out to a PA without the need for an amp or anything else. If you play through a PA, you can carry everything you need in the guitar case. I do that regularly.

I solved the pop thing long ago, with a silent plug on my cables. They only cost a little more than a standard plug. But it is a nice feature on the G10.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LukeReinhart
    What is the benefit of going wireless? The idea used to appeal to me, but I really don't understand for the majority of guitarists why this is so attractive versus an old fashioned cable. The only thing that might be a plus is not tripping over the cable perhaps, but to me this seems to be outweighed by other reliability issues.

Despite however careful I am I still step on the cord occasionally when I stand up to put the guitar down for whatever reason and jerk the cable out of the guitar (typically at about a 90 degree angle. So far, no damage but I can just image the possibilities.

User Info Menu

Messy coiled cable salad drives me crazy. An opportunity to loose some of them is more than welcome. And as can move around without putting the guitar away. Wireless is very attractive for me and this system delivers nicely because it sounds good and there is no need to attach the sender to a belt. It still could be smaller and I foresee that in the future such units will become smaller and even easier to handle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Just out of curiosity: Why? The receiver doesn't need to be mobile, and you're plugging the amp in anyway.
    a rechargeable battery that drives the receiver would be a solution, but yet another piece of equipment. I typically do not directly go to the amp but to a pedalboard and then another power outlet nearby is not a given and it would be convenient to not have to have it. Also in terms of quickly connecting the receiver to something else. But of course, it is not a big deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonedeaf
    I believe that what is in question is how the jack is mounted in the Line6 hardware, not the robustness of the USB connector itself. Can any one else corroborate?
    The only issue I could imagine is that the mini-USB plug does not seem to seat fully into the socket. It only goes in about 2/3 of the way and gives the impression that it could easily fall out. In practice this has never happened to me, and there seems to be enough friction in the connection to hold it in well enough. Some people have gone with magnetic connectors to reduce this perceived risk.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LukeReinhart

I love the idea of being able to do everything without any cables longer than a foot or so. I hate the mess of cable lying on the floor/stage. I've gotten myself tangled in in more than once. Never tripped or dropped a guitar yet, but the danger is there, and I'm getting to the age where a trip and fall could be legit dangerous.

Plus the G10 is inexpensive and easy to use.

User Info Menu

My buddy had one of those where the battery for the xmit clipped to his belt. Laid his guitar on a table and turned to walk away. Bye, Bye Blues Hawk. The tiny no battery pack transmitter on the G10 is what sold me. Then a wait for the price drop which I first noticed this week.

User Info Menu

I just read an article about some Japanese engineers who've come up with a way to improve the energy flow in lithium ion batteries. This allows them to really improve the storage capacity, evidently. A not-too-distant generation of these is going to have ridiculously long battery life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frank67
    a rechargeable battery that drives the receiver would be a solution, but yet another piece of equipment. I typically do not directly go to the amp but to a pedalboard and then another power outlet nearby is not a given and it would be convenient to not have to have it. Also in terms of quickly connecting the receiver to something else. But of course, it is not a big deal.
    The Boss WL-50 appears to have the features you are looking for i.e. rechargeable and pedal board mounted.

BOSS - WL-50 | Wireless System

User Info Menu

Found out there is a firmware update for the transmitter. Since the firmware update is from two years ago and I got mine two months ago I assumed it was up to date. But I ran the installer and it said mine was at version 1.0 not the latest 1.04 so it updated. Maybe it was on the shelf at GC for awhile.