The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

I can find #3 gold plate SOH wood screws in 1 1/4" length at a few places. You may be able to cut that down to 7/8" or it may work without cutting it down?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cushman
    I can find #3 gold plate SOH wood screws in 1 1/4" length at a few places. You may be able to cut that down to 7/8" or it may work without cutting it down?
    Matt, THANKS!

What is the diameter of a #3 gold plate SOH wood screw?
    I measured the original, it is 1" long, and the shank/ thread diameter is 2,2mm (a bit less than 3/32").
    Last edited by JazzNote; 01-21-2017 at 08:55 AM.

User Info Menu

What is the diameter of a #3 gold plate SOH wood screw?
    The #3 wood screw has a shank dia. of .099" or approximately. 2.2mm. A #2 wood screw is .086" in shank dia. A #4 has a shank dia. of .112".
    Last edited by Matt Cushman; 01-21-2017 at 09:45 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

The #3 wood screw has a shank dia. of .099" or approximately. 2.2mm. A #2 wood screw is .086" shank dia. A #4 has a shank dia. of .112".
    It is #3 then! I think shortening to 1" will be no problem. If you could get me a couple that would be great, so i'll have a spare. I'll send you a pm. Maybe Woody Sound is interested too .....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks Matt!

I just found out that i'd have to buy 5 which would be okay........ , but postage costs $35 making it a total of $41.50. I believe that the customs/post office here would charge another $ 20 for handling so is not a very sane thing to do. For that cost i could probably have my original screw plated.
    Last edited by JazzNote; 01-21-2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

$35 for postage? That's not acceptable, IMO. The US Postal Service doesn't charge nearly that much, even for international mail.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Thanks Matt!

I just found out that i'd have to buy 5 which would be okay........ , but postage costs $35 making it a total of $41.50. I believe that the customs/post office here would charge another $ 20 for handling so is not a very sane thing to do. For that cost i could probably have my original screw plated.
    You could get a screw made of SOLID gold for that...

User Info Menu

Jazznote,

Send me a pic of your screw next to a legible ruler if you can. I have a spare 3/4" gold 2.0 mm gold countersunk phillips head screw. If it matches mine, I'll send it to you free.

Then take yours to a jeweler and have it re gold plated, I bet it costs less than 5 bucks, then you have a spare :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    #3 oval head 7/8".
    I just bought one for mine. Brass. Home Depot has them here in the states. $1.18.
    Joe D
    I went to 2 HD's in my area. They both said they have cut back on their selection and now only carry sizes down to #4.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Jazznote,

Send me a pic of your screw next to a legible ruler if you can. I have a spare 3/4" gold 2.0 mm gold countersunk phillips head screw. If it matches mine, I'll send it to you free.

Then take yours to a jeweler and have it re gold plated, I bet it costs less than 5 bucks, then you have a spare :-)
    Thanks a lot Gary! Not sure if 3/4" is long enough. I have been offered a replacement which soon will be on the way, if it unexpectedly doesn't fit i will be happy to get back to your offer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Thanks a lot Gary! Not sure if 3/4" is long enough. I have been offered a replacement which soon will be on the way, if it unexpectedly doesn't fit i will be happy to get back to your offer.
    IIRC yours is 7/8" certainly not enough to be a poor fit, at only 1/8" difference. The offer is open if the one you get or re-plating yours turns out poorly.

User Info Menu

I just checked. My screw is 3/4".
    The original was 7/8".
    On my guitar, the 3/4" was plenty long enough. It will absolutely work.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

One other thing to note..
    The bracket that attaches the Guard onto the rim has the guitars' serial number etched into it, on the inside.
    I thought that was interesting.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    One other thing to note..
    The bracket that attaches the Guard onto the rim has the guitars' serial number etched into it, on the inside.
    I thought that was interesting.
    Joe D
    Very interesting. Will have to check eventually if mine is that way too ......