The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

What do you guys sit on for home practice? Besides your butts, I mean.

I'm currently dealing with carpal tunnel in both hands, and I suspect that playing posture has at least a little bit to do with this problem.

Generally I sit in my office – style chair, which does not have very stiff back support at all, it just sort of leans back with my weight. If I make a concerted effort, I will sit forward, but then I find myself using my right foot as a footstool for my left foot which as you can imagine results in all sorts of odd contortions.

When I try to ape John Stowell's playing posture, it feels good but is not necessarily the easiest for me to play in. It seems to give me the most natural left hand position and allows for longer stretches without pain.

So I guess my requirements might be:

- something that will force me to sit straight by not allowing me to lean back (backless?)

- A way to comfortably raise my left leg so I can rest my guitar on it (separate foot stool? Chair/stool with runs at the right height?) One of my guitars is in the shape of a Jazzmaster, which I find to be very comfortable provided I have that left leg raised a bit.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't know what to recommend for a chair; I just use a wooden side chair that I find comfortable. I was using an adjustable classical footrest for my right foot, but recently I've been using a strap when sitting: the guitar is always at the right position no matter how I place my feet, and there's no adjustment necessary when I stand up while playing live. Hope that helps.

User Info Menu

These always looked nice, although I've never tried one: Home - The Original Guitar Chair

If you want to spend some money to get a fantastic, and ergonomically wonderful (for arms and backs), guitar, grab one of Chris Forshage's "Orion" (klein-style) guitars! There have been a couple used for sale recently. Truly the most comfortable guitar I've ever played (in the seated position). Lots of posts here on this model.

User Info Menu

I know it doesn't suit everyone, but I use a Kinsman foldable stool on gigs and it sounds like it might suit you too. The seat slopes forward slightly, which encourages my back to be more upright, and the foot bar is at the right height for me (I'm about 6 ft). I have the model with an integrated guitar stand on the back, so at least I don't need to carry a separate stand. The stool is not expensive; places like Thomann and Amazon stock it.

User Info Menu

Hi, check out Soundseat. Adjustable with lumbar/back support as well as a rest bar for your feet. I have one and love it.

User Info Menu

I would find it hard to hold the guitar like John Stowell. Joe Pass uses a fairly upright guitar position also, which requires him to use a strap while seated.

At home I sit on a backless piano bench in front of a piano (as a music holder, LOL). For archies I use a standard playing posture. For classical I do use a left footrest, which is a very comfortable position. I've contemplated using it for archtops as well.

A good quality footrest only costs ~$15, so well worth the expense if you want to try something different.

User Info Menu

I practice using a heavy duty adjustable drum throne. If I'm playing an archtop or electric it is usually with a strap. My acoustics as well as my classical guitars are fitted with Kris Barnett supports. If I'm just jamming or just playing along with the tv it is in a lazy boy type recliner rocker laid fully back.

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I've had great success with this:
    NEMO Fillo Backpacking Pillow - REI.com
    Its an inflatable pillow that has bungie straps that I stretch over the back of my office chair so that it supports my lumbar spine. I find that the lumbar support allows me to sit straighter so that I play longer. YMMV, but its a small investment.
    Bill

User Info Menu

I use an Ikea straight-back chair that I found at a thrift store for $8. It works well for me. I've tried office chairs, and actually bought one to use while playing, and I don't like them at all. I simply could not justify spending $400 on a practice chair, even if it is made from walnut or cherry and folds up.

User Info Menu

Last summer I found a simple task chair with flip up arms for $110 at Office Depot. The back doesn't recline so it keeps me in a good position - arms down for computer work, arms up for playing. I also find lowering the height all the way down improves my playing posture w/o using a strap.

User Info Menu

Rok N Sok drummer's throne.

The most comfortable seat in my house is...drum roll...the commode with the seat cover down. Or up as you prefer. Perfect seating height. Seat is solidly planted on the ground. Natural bathroom reverb. Don't mind the pounding on the door and the "What are you doing in there?" You can adjust your position as you see fit. With some modification, it makes the perfect guitar player's throne.

Man, I ought to copyright this...I am so brilliant I scare meself some days.

User Info Menu

Learn to use a strap. After 20 years, I finally took some advice and used one while seated. Guitar between legs and upright in classical style. The butt of the guitar resting on the seat.

Sound seat eat is awesome.

User Info Menu

For home use, I can recommend a SoundSeat (SoundSeat Models: Seating for Drummers, Guitarists,Keyboard Players and Sound Techs) which I have used for a few years now. It is NOT portable, but very comfortable. I also have recently begun to use a NeckUp Guitar Support (NeckUp Guitar Support Neck Up) to allow me to play seated without a strap with my neck angled upward as it is when I do use a strap standing. You do need to immediately remove it after each use (like a strap) to avoid any potential finish reaction.

User Info Menu

I have a couple of stools of the same height, which is a little less than a bar stool would be, no back support. In fact one Is a bar stool with shortened legs to fit my preferred height. The other one is a partly foldable K&M guitar stool, this one i take to most gigs. So it's something between standing and sitting, and i always carry the guitar with a strap. This allows freedom, i can play with an absolute straight back, and when i'm tired even a hunched back feels comfortable.
    Last edited by JazzNote; 01-15-2017 at 05:16 PM.

User Info Menu

A padded sturdy piano bench is the most comfortable piece of guitar furniture around. If you don't like a drummer's throne, a good piano bench is a great solution. The height is correct. It does not move under you. You can seat yourself on the long side or the short side. The rest of the bench is great for placing books, tuners, metronomes, picks and other guitar stuff on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Rok N Sok drummer's throne.

The most comfortable seat in my house is...drum roll...the commode with the seat cover down. Or up as you prefer. Perfect seating height. Seat is solidly planted on the ground. Natural bathroom reverb. Don't mind the pounding on the door and the "What are you doing in there?" You can adjust your position as you see fit. With some modification, it makes the perfect guitar player's throne.

Man, I ought to copyright this...I am so brilliant I scare meself some days.

Is that a Low Boy, standard or ADA/Comfort Height commode?

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=iim7V7IM7;730624]For home use, I can recommend a SoundSeat (SoundSeat Models: Seating for Drummers, Guitarists,Keyboard Players and Sound Techs) which I have used for a few years now. It is NOT portable, but very comfortable.

My drum throne/practice seat is very similar to the Soundseat. The company that made it, Sound Percussion is no longer in business but it is a very solid piece of gear.

I hate to admit it but I actually practice classical guitar in the bathroom. I have a very large bathroom (separate toilet room) and the reverberation of the tile, granite and glass is spectacular. Fortunately or unfortunately as the case may be I'm single so the idea of looking at a music stand in the bathroom only affects me.

User Info Menu

I have a Roc 'n' Soc drum throne (w/back) that is pretty comfortable. A friend of mine has a Pick N Glider - Pick N Glider Musician's Chair | Guitar Center- that is really comfortable. If I had room for one, I'd get one. Obviously, they're not designed to be taken to gigs, but hard to beat for sitting around home playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    Is that a Low Boy, standard or ADA/Comfort Height commode?
    It says American Standard...

Non-clog!
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 01-16-2017 at 02:06 AM.