The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Anyone tried one of these? How well did it work regarding setting up intonation? How did it affect tone? I am considering trying one on my Frankencaster.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you mean the 24.75" scale length neck, I had one and it worked perfectly. Great neck.

User Info Menu

If you are referring to a 25.5" scale length neck, they are also outstanding. Intonation is spot on. Warmoth makes good necks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    If you are referring to a 25.5" scale length neck, they are also outstanding. Intonation is spot on. Warmoth makes good necks.
    I've always thought that the term "conversion neck" referred to their alternate scale length necks (both 24.75 and Baritone) as well as their superwide necks. They change the scale length (or width) without making any structural changes to the body, hence "conversion" as versus "replacement".

User Info Menu

I have a 25.125" Musikraft conversion neck on the Tele that I recently assembled. I like the scale length and wouldn't want anything shorter because fret spacings get pretty tight for me where I like to play. Intonation is spot on. But I am not crazy about the back profile. I may go back to a 25.5" scale length and get one from USACG. They do a 25" scale length but only in a C profile. I want a medium V with fairly deep dimensions.
    Last edited by lammie200; 12-27-2016 at 02:23 PM.

User Info Menu

I ordered a conversion neck with my Mooncaster. Warmoth's use of the term "conversion" refers to creating a 24.75" scale neck (Gibson) for a guitar which would otherwise have a 25.5" scale neck (Fender).
    Yes, I know there are 25.5" scale Gibsons, as I am referencing their website.
    The Mooncaster with it's conversion neck intonates perfectly. It also has a Tusq Earvana nut.
    Phone the staff at Warmoth, and I'm sure they will tell you it a conversion neck will fit your application.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    ...intonates perfectly. It also has a Tusq Earvana nut...
    Earvana nuts don't get enough credit IMHO. I have done three now on separate guitars. I really like what I get out of them. I only use the shelf nuts though just in case I want to swap them out. BTW, Earvana customer service doesn't deserve any credit. Never once got a return email to any questions that I have asked. One question was how well will they work on a 25" scale guitar. So far I have only used them on 25.5" scale lengths.
    Last edited by lammie200; 12-27-2016 at 02:38 PM.

User Info Menu

I had one too. Worked perfectly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Earvana nuts don't get enough credit IMHO. I have done three now on separate guitars. I really like what I get out of them. I only use the shelf nuts though just in case I want to swap them out. BTW, Earvana customer service doesn't deserve any credit. Never once got a return email to any questions that I have asked. One question was how well will they work on a 25" scale guitar. So far I have only used them on 25.5" scale lengths.
    Hi,
    I think Warmoth CNC machines the nuts to Earvana specs, and passes on the licensing fee to the customer. They have pretty good customer service at Warmoth, and can probably help with questions.

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I think Warmoth CNC machines the nuts to Earvana specs, and passes on the licensing fee to the customer. They have pretty good customer service at Warmoth, and can probably help with questions.
    Thanks. I thought of that, and they do offer Earvana nuts for their conversion necks. But their conversion necks are 24.75" and I am more interested in the 25.125" scale length. Also Warmoth machines the nut slot for a wide version of an Earvana nut. I just want the standard 1/8" slot so that the neck can still be used with a standard nut if need be.

Anyway, we shouldn't side track this thread into being about Earvana nuts. If the OP wants a short scale neck from Warmoth I give a thumbs up.

User Info Menu

I should have been more specific. I meant the 24.75" neck rather than the baritone length neck.

User Info Menu

I have had one new and some second hand Warmoth conversion necks with and without Earvanas. Best necks in the fenderland I have ever had. And they keep their value too.

I wish that Warmoth could do hollowbodies just like it makes bolt on necked instruments!
    Last edited by Herbie; 12-29-2016 at 11:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    I have had one new and some second hand Warmoth conversion necks with and without Earvanas. Best necks in the fenderland I have ever had. And they keep their value too.

I wish that Warmoth could do hollowbodies just like it makes bolt on necked instruments!
    The Mooncaster is about as hollow as they get! I too wish they had more hollow offerings.

Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Classic Showcase

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    The Mooncaster is about as hollow as they get! I too wish they had more hollow offerings...
    I just received a chambered ash Tele body from Warmoth to replace a solid ash body. I am not sure how much more hollow I would want for a Tele body. It weighs 3lbs. 4 oz. Good price, too at $205. Wish that I would have started with it instead of the solid body.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I just received a chambered ash Tele body from Warmoth to replace a solid ash body. I am not sure how much more hollow I would want for a Tele body. It weighs 3lbs. 4 oz. Good price, too at $205. Wish that I would have started with it instead of the solid body.
    I guess what I mean is that Carvin used to offer a SH 225. I wish Warmoth would do something like that, but it's probably more cost-effective to CNC machine a solid body.

User Info Menu

...but it's probably more cost-effective to CNC machine a solid body.
    Yeah. Not to rip on them, but I think that Warmoth is very bottom line driven. I won't tread in these waters, and I am not sure how good they are, but there are all those Ebay kits for hollows and semi hollows if anyone were so inclined.
    Last edited by lammie200; 12-30-2016 at 03:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, I've got a couple of their conversion necks. They work very well, for me.
    My most recent build is all Warmoth. Conversion neck, swamp ash, contoured body.
    Love it!
    Warmoth conversion neck-14242461_10210807213635244_3058535970547896704_o-jpg

User Info Menu

I guess what I mean is that Carvin used to offer a SH 225. I wish Warmoth would do something like that, but it's probably more cost-effective to CNC machine a solid body.
    There's no reason why Warmoth couldn't buy Hofner Verythins from Germany and badge them with Warmoth markings. That's what Carvin did with the SH225 - it's a Hofner Verythin with an increased rim depth and Carvin headstock inlay.
    Makes perfect sense to me!

User Info Menu

So I did end up getting a Warmoth 24.75" conversion neck for my Frankenstrat. I had put that together 25 years ago with a Gibson style neck and S-H-H pickups, which made for a neck-heavy and heavy guitar overall. The neck I picked has a roasted maple shaft and roasted maple fretboard, which according to the Warmth web site does not need to be finished! As a result it feels very silky and natural to play. I have not liked maple fretboards in the past due to the finish on them but this does not have that problem. It feels like an old, well-broken in neck.

When the neck first came out of the box, it smelled like pancakes with maple syrup- well, not that sweet but a very pronounced woody-caramel-y aroma. That abated within a week or so. The guitar balanced much better on a strap and feels much lighter. I have gone from a 1 3/4 nut to 1 11/16 and that was an easy adjustment.

It took me a while to get with the program vis-a-vis the Gotoh truss rod. Having a truss rod adjust from the butt of the neck is just a dumb idea, complicates setup a lot and provides little if any benefit. The little side adjuster doesn't seem to do anything useful.

It's wonderful to play and I like the shorter scale, despite being a tall guy with proportionally big hands. Ti 13s seem like 11s!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    So I did end up getting a Warmoth 24.75" conversion neck for my Frankenstrat. I had put that together 25 years ago with a Gibson style neck and S-H-H pickups, which made for a neck-heavy and heavy guitar overall. The neck I picked has a roasted maple shaft and roasted maple fretboard, which according to the Warmth web site does not need to be finished! As a result it feels very silky and natural to play. I have not liked maple fretboards in the past due to the finish on them but this does not have that problem. It feels like an old, well-broken in neck.

When the neck first came out of the box, it smelled like pancakes with maple syrup- well, not that sweet but a very pronounced woody-caramel-y aroma. That abated within a week or so. The guitar balanced much better on a strap and feels much lighter. I have gone from a 1 3/4 nut to 1 11/16 and that was an easy adjustment.

It took me a while to get with the program vis-a-vis the Gotoh truss rod. Having a truss rod adjust from the butt of the neck is just a dumb idea, complicates setup a lot and provides little if any benefit. The little side adjuster doesn't seem to do anything useful.

It's wonderful to play and I like the shorter scale, despite being a tall guy with proportionally big hands. Ti 13s seem like 11s!
    Hi,
    For the side adjustment to work correctly, the instructions have to be followed closely. This video will explain how it works so it can be of use to you. Until I understood it, I thought the side adjustment wasn't working either, but it does.

User Info Menu

I recently built a jazz Tele with a 24.75" scale neck (mahogany/ebony) that came out really nice but I just couldn't deal with the shorter scale so I pitched it and replaced it with a similar Warmoth regular Tele scale from a friend's parts box. I much prefer the longer scale. However, Warmoth's stuff is first rate if you're willing to shell out the $$$, which I'm not; for $204.00, I could get enough good, dried lumber to build 10 or 15 Teles.

User Info Menu

If you can build a neck as good as a Warmoth, why did you buy two?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    I recently built a jazz Tele with a 24.75" scale neck (mahogany/ebony) that came out really nice but I just couldn't deal with the shorter scale so I pitched it and replaced it with a similar Warmoth regular Tele scale from a friend's parts box. I much prefer the longer scale. However, Warmoth's stuff is first rate if you're willing to shell out the $$$, which I'm not; for $204.00, I could get enough good, dried lumber to build 10 or 15 Teles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonD
    If you can build a neck as good as a Warmoth, why did you buy two?
    Didn't buy any at all - I built one with 24.75" scale and didn't like it (the scale length, not the neck) so I swapped it out for a Tele scale Warmoth neck that a friend had in his misc parts box. I like it a lot. He'll probably use mine for one of his future builds