The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 137 of 137

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Vinny, I watched some of that video. I cant make out the fret sizes because its too fuzzy. But one thing I did notice, everything you've been saying about Wes is true. His playing is, Just, perfect. Not too flashy. Just meaningful. He stayed within himself which kept him within the tune. He was never off. You can really hear Wes's influence in George in that video.
    He played like Wes learned how to play it, which was, smooth, simple and perfect. That video opened my eyes.
    Thanks Bro.
    Joe, i have the DVD. Here's a screenshot of the fingerboard of Wes's L5. Still a little blurred, but it almost looks as if there are no nibs, which might indicate a refret. The frets definitely are as wide as the ones on my 76JS (edit: on second thought i'm not so sure anymore). I wonder if a L5 would come with nibs in the early 60s ...... .

Gibson Johnny Smith - Pre Fret Job-wes1-jpg

and on a different note: what a gorgeous watch he's wearing! Such a thin model must have cost a fortune back in the sixties, i'd bet as much, or even more than the L5.
    Last edited by JazzNote; 03-10-2017 at 02:17 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here you go. I have the dvd, much better resolution. Anyway you get a enough of a look around 19:15 to get an idea how wide his frets were.
    Wes Montgomery live in 1965 - YouTube

Last edited by whiskey02; 03-10-2017 at 09:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys.
    The thing that strikes me is, there really is NOTHING like the neck on an L5.
    Its such a substantial surface for your hand. Nothing compares to the neck on an L5.

OK, that's next...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I could never understand what the Dodge "HEMI" engine is either.
    You weren't around in the 60's?

You'd have loved a 'Cuda

Chrysler Hemi engine - Wikipedia

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 03-10-2017 at 05:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    You weren't around in the 60's?

You'd have loved a 'Cuda

Chrysler Hemi engine - Wikipedia

THE monster motor '65-'71. You could hear it blocks away and know immediately what was coming ... Gibson Johnny Smith - Pre Fret Job

Stumbling fingers still need love ...

User Info Menu

I have Adrian Ingrams book about Wes Montgomery. I can't lay my hands on it now. There is a quote (from Wes) in there which makes one think that he wasn't very particular about his guitar. I also remeber reading a quote (from his wife I think) that he was never happy with his amps and was always getting them modified. I know this is vague, so I shall try and find the book.

User Info Menu

musical interlude...(whilst waiting for joe D's luthier)

love johnnys playing on this..you can almost hear him thinking in this solo..connecting lines..and some great ones at that!

cheers

User Info Menu

Ahhh... that was nice.
    He is one of the greats. I love the bite on his sound on this.
    Tasteful, clean, substantive... Perfection.
    Thanks Neatomic.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

hey joe D...didn't you have a johnny smith guitar at one time?? seems like a long time ago!

haha...any news?

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    This discussion made me wonder whether anyone here had ever seen WM's ' Heart' L-5 ? I wonder which frets Gibson restored it to after that fire, and maybe which frets are on the heart R/I's ?

How many of the heart L-5's were there ? I keep thinking that if only one heart L-5 existed and seeing it was a 'trademark' of his, he wouldn't want to be without it for too long due to repairs. Therefore maybe his frets were close to a Gibson standard.

Just my two cents. Hopefully someone here has seen one, and I'd bet someone has.
    There were six made in 1998 to commemorate the restoration of Wes' L5. There was another run of 10, I believe, made in 2002. Buzzy Levine of Lark Street Music had one for sale not too long ago.

Edit: Buzzy said that there 25 made. I was told 6 in the first batch and 10 in the second. There was even another run in 2004 with a printed Heart pickguard and a special Wes Montgomery COA but no MoP Heart inlay.

Gibson Johnny Smith - Pre Fret Job-l5wes-jpg

I have one from the 2002 batch that I bought from Gryphon Stringed in Palo Alto.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 03-23-2017 at 06:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky

I have one from the 2002 batch that I bought from Gryphon Stringed in Palo Alto.
    Jabs, what kind of frets are on this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Jabs, what kind of frets are on this?
    Standard L-5CES ones. 0.047"/0.104" ?

Gibson Johnny Smith - Pre Fret Job-wes-heartle-jpg
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 03-23-2017 at 06:52 AM.