The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 83

User Info Menu

I have an Ibanez AF200. It is a great sounding and playing guitar. I concur that as nice as it is, it won't become an ES-175 even if you attempt to modify it (I had an ES 175 of about 20 years). The AF200 is closer to some of the Ibanez GB's and PM's in its vibe. My AF200 has a Gibson Burstbucker in it--it is no ES-175. As others have suggested, you may just have to sell it, and get what you really want. I'm keeping mine, as it's a joy to play. Everyone has different wants and needs, and you must follow the jazz tone path that is imprinted on you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thank you Helios. I agree completely, it's such a beautiful guitar and a real joy to play. The quality is, imho, second to none.

Given all the above, I really want to keep it.

I would be happy if I could get a Benson-esque tone out of it. I'm starting to think that a string change (maybe rounds?) and tweak will get it a lot of the way there?

How do you find it compares to the ES 175 you had?

Also - I'm interested in your pup change. Did you not like the originals? Are you happy with the change?

I'm thinking the burstbuckers are quite similar to the Lollar imperials (I have these in my semis, and I love them) so the guitar may benefit from a pup switch. It's definitely worth it

User Info Menu

As others have stated, getting one brand of guitar to sound like another is a difficult, possibly futile effort. You have a great guitar...for what it is. It's not a 175, and not a GB. But it has its own thing going on. The Super 58's are nice p'ups. Adjusting them up/down will definitely help bring out the best they have to offer. Play with that and see if it helps.

String gauge is also a factor. My JSM100 sounded thin and uninteresting until I strung it up with 12 round wounds or flats. Whoa baby, did that guitar come alive! And yes, I adjusted the Super 58's to MY taste and have been happy ever since.

Enjoy the tweaking journey. You might be surprised with the fantastic tones buried inside of your AF200.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EvansDrD
    Thank you Helios. I agree completely, it's such a beautiful guitar and a real joy to play. The quality is, imho, second to none.

Given all the above, I really want to keep it.

I would be happy if I could get a Benson-esque tone out of it. I'm starting to think that a string change (maybe rounds?) and tweak will get it a lot of the way there?

How do you find it compares to the ES 175 you had?

Also - I'm interested in your pup change. Did you not like the originals? Are you happy with the change?

I'm thinking the burstbuckers are quite similar to the Lollar imperials (I have these in my semis, and I love them) so the guitar may benefit from a pup switch. It's definitely worth it
    Hi EvansDrD,
    The Super 58's were fine. I was looking for a PAF kind of sound, so I tried the Burstbuckers as an alternative. They have an articulate sound like the Lollar Imperials. It would have been that or '57 classics, Lindy Fralin humbuckers or something. Someone bought the Super58's immediately, so they are well received. I prefer a PAF-like humbucker (slightly mis-matched coils). The Super 58's were not this sort of pickup to my ears (although quite acceptable).
    I have TI Swings on mine. I'm not a huge fan of flatwounds, but I like these strings. I also like GHS Brite Flats, but you have to run them through some 0000 grade steel wool a couple of times to get rid of the weird machining texture.
    The ES-175 had about the nicest tone of any guitar I've owned. It developed a neck issue, so I sold it so someone who still wanted it.
    I'd be a better musician if I'd just play my guitars, and quit monkeying with them!
    Last edited by helios; 11-12-2016 at 04:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Haha - you and me both!

I never used to care about such things. A stock Tele gave me most of what I needed

Otherwise this is all really helpful - I really think these super 58s just aren't for me, but somebody out there will love them

I'm thinking now that the right tweaks on the AF200 will get it where it needs to be so that I can just focus on enjoying it and playing better

User Info Menu

I've been searching for a hollow body for some time and this was an amazing find. Great price for a guitar barely played, with cellophane and tags still on. Build quality I honestly haven't seen anything like before. Neck and frets are amazing and a great acoustic sound with no feedback issues when I've taken it out. I play weekly in a big band and an octet so it'll be tough keeping it as mint as this, but it's made to be played!
    Last edited by AndrewPat; 12-21-2016 at 02:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Ibanez AF200 Prestige-img_9235-jpg

User Info Menu

Congratulations!
    I cannot say how the quality of the AF200 compares to the Ibanez (made in Japan) signature models (LGB300, PM200), but I can say that the AF200 can be found for less money. The dimensions are very similar I notice, and all are pressed tops (The GB & AF200 are pressed Spruce).
    The AF200 is ergonomic, has nice tone, and plays great. I wasn't crazy at first about the shallow neck profile but I have adapted. I like the nut width (about 43.5 mm). My guitar has been modified, but I tend to modify everything so it isn't as though the stock form was particularly deficient.
    Among other things, I put a faux Byrdland tailpiece on mine (holes lined up perfectly). My nicest playing guitar.
    I think you will be very pleased with your AF200. If I were a gigging musician, it's the one I would take!

Last edited by helios; 12-21-2016 at 04:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    Congratulations!
    I cannot say how the quality of the AF200 compares to the Ibanez (made in Japan) signature models (LGB300, PM200), but I can say that the AF200 can be found for less money. The dimensions are very similar I notice, and all are pressed tops (The GB & AF200 are pressed Spruce).
    The AF200 is ergonomic, has nice tone, and plays great. I wasn't crazy at first about the shallow neck profile but I have adapted. I like the nut width (about 43.5 mm). My guitar has been modified, but I tend to modify everything so it isn't as though the stock form was particularly deficient.
    Among other things, I put a faux Byrdland tailpiece on mine (holes lined up perfectly). My nicest playing guitar.
    I think you will be very pleased with your AF200. If I were a gigging musician, it's the one I would take!

I agree Helios, I don't know why it's less expensive than the signature models as is the same quality to the ones I've played. I got mine for £1125 which considering the value of the pound and guitar condition I thought was good. AF200 is a laminated spruce top right? Pressed = laminate? I was surprised by the strong acoustic voice it has too. I play it through a mambo 10inch wedge solid state amp, but I see you are Mesa boogie man too! I love my express 5:50 what amazing cleans it has - don't understand how people don't like them! :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewPat
    I agree Helios, I don't know why it's less expensive than the signature models as is the same quality to the ones I've played. I got mine for £1125 which considering the value of the pound and guitar condition I thought was good. AF200 is a laminated spruce top right? Pressed = laminate? I was surprised by the strong acoustic voice it has too. I play it through a mambo 10inch wedge solid state amp, but I see you are Mesa boogie man too! I love my express 5:50 what amazing cleans it has - don't understand how people don't like them! :-)
    Hi,
    "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"--I shall let Shakespeare answer the AF200 vs GB & PM question.
    I believe a laminate has transversely alternating sheets pressed & glued together (probably stronger and potentially thinner if need be). Pressed spruce is solid but compressed and not carved. I'm guessing pressed spruce may have more acoustic potential of the two and that is in agreement with your assessment.
    I love the tone shaping of the Mesa Express Plus & Mark V series and I think people would love them too if they plugged in an archtop and gave them a try.

User Info Menu

If your Ibanez says "Prestige" on the top, it's basically as good as it gets from Ibanez. there are a few handmade ones done by Sugi whose prices are usually in the $6K US and up range, but i don't know if he makes archtops.

And I play my old Ibanez FA-100 through my Mark IV combo everyday

User Info Menu

Congrats! It's a great guitar. Unfortunately, the experts on this forum have deemed it bright and shrill sounding so you'll need to exchange it for something else!

how does it sound I have the cheaper aj 95 which is basically identical to the af200 in appearance and dimensions

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xiv_R_A_I_D_E_R_
    how does it sound I have the cheaper aj 95 which is basically identical to the af200 in appearance and dimensions

Here's a gentleman playing a Christmas tune on an AF200:

User Info Menu

I have the opportunity to get a mint 1990 AF200 two hours drive from me ...1000€.
    I'm about to confirm the deal, I've been sent pictures of it and it's like new.
    what do you think?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    I have the opportunity to get a mint 1990 AF200 two hours drive from me ...1000€.
    what do you think?

I say go for it---you'll be pleased with it if it's as you say. Good luck!
    It's less than 1/2 the cost of a new one.

User Info Menu

what do you think?
    If you are talking about the guitar for sale in Chabris (France) I would rush to buy it. I have seen the ad and it's a fantastic bargain. It sounded tempting for me too
    Good luck!

User Info Menu

Yes it's that one!
    It is confirmed to have been made in Terrada Japan and all original and perfect playing condition..
    Seems I can't not go for it..
    2 hours drive and I'll see
    Some say it is bright sounding?!

User Info Menu

No, you cannot let it go.
    At least not before you have played it.

Bright sounding? Well, you'll be the one to judge.
    Take a look here.

Bonne chance!

User Info Menu

One thing that's a bit akward is that the body depth is 2.6 inches, whereas the newer model is 4.25 inches? That's a big difference!
    Wonder why they didn't keep the original specs, or maybe the 1990 one was a limited edition of some kind?
    I asked the seller because I searched thru the web the old Ibanez catalogs from 1990 and that's were I found the information.
    Wonder what impact it will have on the sound?
    It may be more comfortable to hold however

User Info Menu

One thing that's a bit akward is that the body depth is 2.6 inches, whereas the newer model is 4.25 inches? That's a big difference!
    Wonder why they didn't keep the original specs, or maybe the 1990 one was a limited edition of some kind?
    I asked the seller because I searched thru the web the old Ibanez catalogs from 1990 and that's were I found the information.
    That's interesting. It's the same depth as a semi-hollow, like the Ibanez AS 200.
    Impact on sound is hard to tell. Wood and the large f-holes are the same. I would guess that the difference is minimal, but you can only tell by playing it.

User Info Menu

Yes it's that one!
    It is confirmed to have been made in Terrada Japan and all original and perfect playing condition..
    Seems I can't not go for it..
    2 hours drive and I'll see
    Some say it is bright sounding?!
    Mine is 2015 model, I wouldn't say bright as in a bad thing - it's got a lot of clarity which I like and wanted. Beautiful finish, easy to play, loud acoustically. Very robust, great price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eblydian
    No, you cannot let it go.
    At least not before you have played it.

Bright sounding? Well, you'll be the one to judge.
    Take a look here.

Bonne chance!
    Thanks for the video-nice tone (mellow, not bright to me). It's interesting that Pat Methtney preferred the 1989 AF200 to the newer PM200 at that particular shop!!
    Last edited by helios; 03-07-2017 at 03:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Note: The maximum depth (center)of the AF200 is 4.25". My AF200 rim depth measures 2.75".
    Best wishes.

User Info Menu

Ok.. is yours a the new model or a "vintage one"?
    That would mean the new model is the same, it's just the way they measured it that is different (they give the center depth on the actual website, and at the rim on the 1990 catalog)?
    Very confusing!