The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

Hammer that's beautiful I haven't played one of the new ones, are they similar in feel and sound to a 50's example?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Once again, that chair is as lucky as the shower in the pink bathroom in Hugh Hefners house..
    Hammertone, Quick question.. How is the intonation on yours? Your bridge seems to be placed a bit far up the neck. Is the fretted note on the 12 fret sharper than the open string? I don't mean to be a smart-ass, it just struck me when I saw it. JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    Hammer that's beautiful I haven't played one of the new ones, are they similar in feel and sound to a 50's example?
    It was intentionally designed to sound and feel like a '30s L-7, not a '50s L-7C, and it successfully meets that goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Once again, that chair is as lucky as the shower in the pink bathroom in Hugh Hefners house.. Hammertone, Quick question.. How is the intonation on yours? Your bridge seems to be placed a bit far up the neck. Is the fretted note on the 12 fret sharper than the open string? I don't mean to be a smart-ass, it just struck me when I saw it. JD
    I adjust the intonation whenever I change strings and it seems fine. I use Martin acoustic strings of some sort - .12 | .16 | .25 | .32 | .42 | .54 - that do the job nicely.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-23-2017 at 07:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Nicest sounding and playing acoustic archtop ever, the L7. This one is a '44.
    Gibson L-7 alternative-dsc_6919-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Nicest sounding and playing acoustic archtop ever, the L7. This one is a '44.
    Gibson L-7 alternative-dsc_6919-jpg
    The '44 L-7 is exquisite. Mrs. k was quite taken by the bobbin lace tablecloth. Is it an heirloom or of recent manufacture? In any case, a fine piece. Congratulations on the guitar, play it in good health, and for the love of all that is good and holy, don't defile the lace!
    Last edited by citizenk74; 12-14-2016 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Punctuation

User Info Menu

I wish these were a bit cheaper! lol
    Last edited by jim777; 12-14-2016 at 04:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    The '44 L-7 is exquisite. Mrs. k was quite taken by the bobbin lace tablecloth. Is it an heirloom or of recent manufacture? In any case, a fine piece. Congratulations on the guitar, play it in good health, and for the love of all that is good and holy, don't defile the lace!
    I've spilled and slopped more food on that lace than some people get to eat in a month! My girl is an expert at stain removal. And, she's mighty forgiving, including when I bring home a new guitar. I don't even have to ask. It's a marriage made in heaven!

I hope the OP get's a great guitar, but, finding a way to buy and L7 is my suggestion. I bought mine knowing she had been played hard, and needing some care, so the price was right. If he looks around, there are deals to be found. I love the L7.

User Info Menu

You may be able to get a player or fixer-upper for less than $2000. Mine was $1800 and needed a bridge, pickguard and crack repair. After the work it looks and plays great. The re-fret and re-finish were good attributes to me, but those things diminished the guitar's value on the vintage market.

Gibson L-7 alternative-img_1286-jpg
    Gibson L-7 alternative-img_1285-jpg
    Last edited by icr; 12-14-2016 at 09:54 PM.

User Info Menu

That's the tough call for these old L7s. You pay a lot for that cutaway on the used market. I got my player's 1945 L7 for well less than $2000 a few years ago. No cutaway.

I would have preferred a cutaway--to me a cutaway says "jazz." But for my budget it was either a non-cut, or no L7. And in truth, I probably don't miss the extra fret access all that much. Another player might miss it more, I don't know.

Here's hoping you find the right one for you. The Twelfth Fret sounds promising if you could swing it.

User Info Menu

The one at 12th Fret is 3K, and the majority of older ones I've found online are above that. I may wait until spring and see if I really plan to spend any time on the motorcycle next year and if not sell it and grab the best one I can find. I did email the guys at 12th though, and may call this afternoon if I get free for a bit.

User Info Menu

Just wanted to let you know I appreciate your feedback, advice, and assistance here Hammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    They finally listed it, along with the Chancellor.
    Don't forget that the asking price is just that - it's a consignment guitar, so they may be willing to deal (I have no relationship to this listing). As mentioned, I have played it and, IMHO, it's a good deal.
    The Bozeman L7C seems to have disappeared from12th Fret's website. Not sure what happened because they usually leave sold guitars on their website for a while.
    Keith

User Info Menu

UPDATE: Keith, it sold very fast. Perhaps the buyer wanted it off their website and asked that it be removed. Perhaps one of the members here bought it? I played it - wonderful guitar! Here are the pix from the ad:
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson L-7 alternative-gibson-l7c-archtop-2006-cons-full-front-jpg Gibson L-7 alternative-gibson-l7c-archtop-2006-cons-full-rear-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-23-2017 at 07:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    UPDATE: Keith, it sold very fast. Perhaps the buyer wanted it off their website and asked that it be removed. Perhaps one of the members here bought it? I played it - wonderful guitar! Here are the pix from the ad:
    Hammertone:
    I did see that ad for about a day and then it was gone. I agree, someone must have asked that the ad be removed for some reason. Maybe the seller couldn't stand looking at it, because of seller's remorse! It is a very nice guitar. I wonder if it was one of our members? It wasn't me....I just bought a 1947 L7, non-cutaway. I love it. I wanted an old non-cut version this time. There's something about those that I really like. John D'Angelico used to say his guitars sounded better without a cutaway.
    Keith

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    That looks like a good one. From the looks of it, a mid 30's x braced version. I would seriously consider it if I didn't just get an L7. I also have had good experience with music go round. If you need to return it because it doesn't meet the description they claim they'll pay for shipping, so I'd email them and get specific details about the condition in writing. It probably won't hurt to try it out!