The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 60

User Info Menu

Cannabis Rex would be cheaper than a Tone Tubby.

Have you checked out Warehouse Speakers?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There is a huge difference between Alnico and ceramic. What type of guitar will you be using and what is your tone goal ?

User Info Menu

go directly to celestion alnico gold...perfect for 65 amps preamp architecture... gold has deep low frequency bass (but not boomy/muddy) and chimey hi-fi clarity top...plus the gold being so super efficient will get you a bit more clean headroom and pumping volume out of the 6v6's...lastly, they take 50 watts, so you'll be hearing the true sound of the amp, not the speaker distortion/coloration

they have only one downside...the $$$$..but still, well worth it!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Talk you out of it? If you're posting this, then you're already too far gone. Just get it and regret the money spent the next time there's something you fall in love with. You'll say "Did I really need to do that?" and probably you'll say no, but at least you won't have taken the advice of people who told you not to.
    Enjoy the moment of acquisition!

David

User Info Menu

Gold is a beautiful sounding speaker.
    Sorry I'm not doing a very good job on the talking out part . . .

Oh, PS. you might make sure it will fit OK before taking the plunge.

User Info Menu

Absolutely ^^
    I sold my Celestion Blue because it did not fit in the amps I now own :-(. And it was not a huge magnet, just a cap that protruded too far back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    There is a huge difference between Alnico and ceramic. What type of guitar will you be using and what is your tone goal ?

Yes, I tend to favor alnico over ceramic but I know there are more factors than just magnet composition. I have a few guitars and I play them all...PRS Mira semi-hollow, Tele Thinline, Tele Custom, JV Strat, Godin 5th Ave. Like I said, aside from the occasional (once or twice a year) loud rock jam with my buddies, I'm usually just at home trying to play jazz and working on the stuff for my weekly lesson.
    I'm not sure how to describe the harshness I hear from the G12H30. I thought it was just too bright, but the Weber is pretty bright, too, but the bright isn't as abrasive. On one of the speakers I looked at, they described it as "forgiving." I'm not sure what that means, but maybe that's what I'm looking for?
    I'm actually pretty impressed with the Weber 12a125a in there. I'm tempted to just leave it. But then I would have to start a thread about which speaker I need for my 5E3 since I stole the Weber out of it. And a little more headroom than the 12a125a would be nice. Not sure if I want to completely eliminate all speaker breakup. I'd just like to get a couple more notches of volume before that breakup happens.

User Info Menu

I have always been a fan of Jensen Alnico's. The classic Fender amp sound. Amplifiedparts.com is having a 25% of all Jensen speakers right now. Free shipping no tax. I have bought from them many times. Class act.
    People say the Italian made Jensen's are not as good as the old USA made ones. Once they break in I beg to differ IMO.

User Info Menu

I have always been a fan of Jensen Alnico's. The classic Fender amp sound. Amplifiedparts.com is having a 25% of all Jensen speakers right now. Free shipping no tax. I have bought from them many times. Class act.
    People say the Italian made Jensen's are not as good as the old USA made ones. Once they break in I beg to differ IMO.

This is an interesting option. I guess the Weber I'm digging so much is close to a P12R copy? So would I want to try a P12Q (40 watt) instead for a bit more headroom? I hadn't really considered the Jensen option since they don't seem to get a lot of love, but maybe that's what my ears like.

User Info Menu

The P12Q has a ton of headroom and glorious bass. Get the one without the bell cover....not needed. The Gold has a bell cover and may not fit in some amps.

User Info Menu

The P12Q has a ton of headroom and glorious bass. Get the one without the bell cover....not needed. The Gold has a bell cover and may not fit in some amps.
    Some of the Tupelos came with Golds, so fit shouldn't be an issue. What would be the tonal similarities/differences between a Gold and a P12Q?

User Info Menu

If you are set on the best the Celestion Cream Alnico is much better than the gold and just a few dollars more.
    Compare the frequency specs on there site. No one knows what your ear likes but you.
    The 50w Jensen is a fine Alnico but the Cream is the best out there IMO.
    Also you should compare specs of all 3. Amplified parts has the specs on there website to compare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    Yes, I tend to favor alnico over ceramic but I know there are more factors than just magnet composition. I have a few guitars and I play them all...PRS Mira semi-hollow, Tele Thinline, Tele Custom, JV Strat, Godin 5th Ave. Like I said, aside from the occasional (once or twice a year) loud rock jam with my buddies, I'm usually just at home trying to play jazz and working on the stuff for my weekly lesson.
    I'm not sure how to describe the harshness I hear from the G12H30. I thought it was just too bright, but the Weber is pretty bright, too, but the bright isn't as abrasive. On one of the speakers I looked at, they described it as "forgiving." I'm not sure what that means, but maybe that's what I'm looking for?
    I'm actually pretty impressed with the Weber 12a125a in there. I'm tempted to just leave it. But then I would have to start a thread about which speaker I need for my 5E3 since I stole the Weber out of it. And a little more headroom than the 12a125a would be nice. Not sure if I want to completely eliminate all speaker breakup. I'd just like to get a couple more notches of volume before that breakup happens.
    With my SF Princeton Reverb I discovered that the old "rule" about 'blackface Fenders like ceramic speakers, tweed Fenders like alnicos' has a lot of truth.

I liked 12A125A a lot in my 5e3 but the 12A150 is SO much better in every way that I would recommend it. I don't know about headroom, but it has less irritating high middle than 12A125A.

Red Fang is nice too in 5e3, it is so sensitive that it is clearly louder speaker.

No experience with Gold, sorry!

User Info Menu

The Cream sure does get rave reviews, but it seems strange to use a 90 watt speaker for a 20 watt amp, though they specifically market it that way. Could someone explain how this works? Maybe it's not strange at all.
    After reading a lot of (subjective) reviews, looking at a lot of graphs (that I don't understand), and listening some of the more well-produced reviews (not using my guitar or amp or style of music) I'm actually leaning toward the Tone Tubby 30w Chicago Blue. The Cream has me curious though.

With my SF Princeton Reverb I discovered that the old "rule" about 'blackface Fenders like ceramic speakers, tweed Fenders like alnicos' has a lot of truth.
    My 5E3 definitely loves that 12A125A, so I'm with you there. And the ceramic in my Supersonic 22 doesn't bother me.
    The Tupelo is kind of a different beast though. To my understanding, it's more like a Vox with 6V6s than a modded Fender circuit. But I seem to favor alnico so that's what I've been looking at. I definitely don't like the G12H30 in there.

User Info Menu

The Cream only needs 1 watt and will handle 90w. I hope you like the early break up of the Tone Tubby. I thought your goal was lots of headroom ?

User Info Menu

The Cream only needs 1 watt and will handle 90w. I hope you like the early break up of the Tone Tubby. I thought your goal was lots of headroom ?
    Not lots of headroom, just a bit more headroom than the 12A125A.

User Info Menu

actually the gold and cream celestion alnicos have almost identical specs... exact as per sensitivity, frequency range and resonant frequency...

power handling being the big difference...

(^ this is via celestions site spec)

with 2 6v6's, you could almost get away with a celestion blue...but to be safe, the gold..the cream is overkill...unless you want super clean..and less edge... not enough power to really drive the cone the way its intended..

the cream would be perfect for a 2 or 4 6l6 tubed amp...

cheers

ps- btw the celestion G12H-75 ceramic creamback is no slouch either..very similar spec to alnicos...has same deep low end but with a tad more rumble...probably my fave new ceramic..and comes in at about 1/2 the cost!

Classic - G12H-75 Creamback - Celestion - Guitar, Bass & Pro Audio Speakers

User Info Menu

Since some pretty big bucks are being discussed for a Gold, has anyone tried an: SC75 Scumico 12" 65 watt?
    It's difficult to hear differences on YouTube speaker shoot-outs.

Scumback SC75 & S75 - PVC Speakers

User Info Menu

Side question. My amp can switch between 8 and 16 ohm, and the speakers are available either way at no price difference. Should I go 8 or 16?

User Info Menu

8ohm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    Side question. My amp can switch between 8 and 16 ohm, and the speakers are available either way at no price difference. Should I go 8 or 16?
    I think that there is no difference in sound or anything like that but in the resale scene. If You decide to sell the speaker some day the 8 ohm ones move faster than the 16 ohm speakers.

User Info Menu

the gold attenuates high end. Lots of dumble players love it because that feature makes the overdrive smoother. I did not like it for clean or semi-distorted stuff and felt it didn't sound good for a typical fender amp sound, i.e. you can't get anything close to SRV tones out of it.

User Info Menu

Hello. I'm considering trying a Celestion alnico 12" speaker for my Princeton clone. Flatwound archtops only. Actually the blue is out due to the wattage limit, but I'd be interested to hear your experience with any of these speakers.
    So for use with flatwounds on archtop guitars, which would you choose and why?

User Info Menu

the gold

but really depends on tone your after...the blue is gonna be pushed more....the gold is gonna deliver cleanly and nicely...the cream may be a bit overkill...its a 90 watt rated speaker

tho guys here have used princetons with creams and liked them

but i'd go with the gold..great speaker...has power rating that will let you hear the guitar and amp tone without adding any dirt...plus its highly efficient so can get loud with little amp power

luck

cheers

User Info Menu

The Cream Alnico is my choice. I like its midrange. It peals like a crystal bell. It lacks the chime of the Blue and to some extent the Gold. It seems to compress the signal the louder you play it without getting harsh.

I was not looking for a higher power handling Blue when I found the Cream. If you are looking for a Blue with better power handling, try the Celestion Ruby. It is more like the Blue than the Gold. The Gold has the chime of the Blue but it is not as sweet in the midrange as the Cream. You can hear the Cream compress your notes as you crank it up. It is the behaviour of Alnico magnets, I guess. The Cream has more Alnico than the rest.

The Cream is like the best vanilla ice-cream Coke float I have ever tasted. It has a strong character and some don't like it because it never gets rude. Some look for the Blue chime and liveliness in the treble, that shredding musical distortion as you drive it near its limits. The Cream has none of that. Check out the Ruby if that is what you want. The Cream is mellow, in a good way.