The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What telecaster to get?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • American vintage 51 or 52 tele. Man up to the neck radius and frets. That is the real deal

25 20.66%
  • Modern american standard or elite tele. Why not taking advantage of the modern improvements?

38 31.40%
  • Warmoth custom build. Why do you care that it is a Fender?

25 20.66%
  • Get a cheapo and mod it, after all it is a tele and there is no point in 'boutique planks'

33 27.27%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 121

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Good advice, except the 1)- it's absolutely needs to be an orange tele. And if you already own a Mexican made tele, you need to find a new place for it, behind your wall somwhere.
    Capri Orange will do the trick - you can use it to build your own wall of sound!
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-10-2016 at 02:20 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great. Now I have to defend the colour of my guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Great. Now I have to defend the colour of my guitar!
    Why? It's a winner!

... nothing wrong with an orange tele :-)

What telecaster to get?-untitled-jpg

Further reasoning .... if I buy and modify a cheapo Fender, it will also loose all the value and the money for the upgrades. In this respect one might as well go the Warmoth route and buy a body and neck from the "screaming" deals section and put quality hardware on it. That won't come out to more than buying a reasonable MIM or Squire tele and upgrading it.

.... I just can't make up my mind - but thanks again for all the suggestions and votes. That is a fun thread!

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Telecaster post election advice:

Always go guitar shopping after an election

1) If you support Trump, congratulations! Buy a Telecaster to celebrate. I suggest a blonde, nocaster reissue. It absolutely has to be a Custom Shop.

2) If you supported one of the other candidates, commiserations. Buy a Telecaster to cheer yourself up. Perhaps one of those modern ones with the extra features?

3) Ambivalent about the results? Buy two Telecasters!

4) If you are a Libertarian, perhaps consider a classic Vibe. If you cannot be free, you can at least be cheap.

This approach has worked out very well for me, except for the last UK general election.

I bought a Fender Princeton Reverb instead.
    LOVE your sense of humor ... so what are my options for the Princeton

User Info Menu

One other possibility is to go with a partscaster tele, but not one you build. As you note, resale would be tough on a partscaster. Yet partscaster builders do sell. So there are some interesting guitars floating around at reasonable prices.

I got the urge for a particular flavor of tele recently. Alder body, rosewood fingerboard with 9.5 or 10" radius, Don Mare "Joel Foy" pickups Glendale bridge/saddles. That kind of thing. Was researching parts and pricing when I saw a tele for sale on TGP. Essentially the guitar I was about to build. Had a really fine looking neck from USACG, brazilian rosewood board. 12" radius, so not exactly my specs. Had those DM pickups, excellent hardware. So I grabbed it. Probably saved myself 6 or 7 hundred bucks as opposed to building. Some of which I put right back into it, getting a refret with larger frets.

Every partscaster is a risk, a big unknown, whether you build it or someone else does. This one turned into a winner, and it was in my hands much quicker than if I had built it.

MD

User Info Menu

Pick the right tele, the only resale value you'll be worried about is that of your other guitars.

Lovely comment Jeff! I had a good laugh.

You are right of course. I am a perpetual hoarder rather than a manic reseller of guitars. Not sure why I am even worrying about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    One other possibility is to go with a partscaster tele, but not one you build. As you note, resale would be tough on a partscaster. Yet partscaster builders do sell. So there are some interesting guitars floating around at reasonable price. .......... Every partscaster is a risk, a big unknown, whether you build it or someone else does. This one turned into a winner, and it was in my hands much quicker than if I had built it.

MD
    I purchased a partscaster from the "For Sale" items at this site. Its a Warmoth body and neck. Lollar CC in the neck position. Contoured body. Natural finish on a swamp ash body with walnut cap. Fat maple neck with ebony fingerboard. I love it! Perfect instrument for me. All the right choices by the original owner.

User Info Menu

I've observed that orange teles prompt a shrill sound with lots of unpleasant overtones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aboutIt
    I've observed that orange teles prompt a shrill sound with lots of unpleasant overtones.
    Only when played by short-fingered vulgarians.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    ... so what are my options for the Princeton
    I thought that would be obvious….
    Attached Images Attached Images What telecaster to get?-fenderprinceton65-jpg 

, good one Hammertone!

User Info Menu

... nothing wrong with an orange tele :-)

What telecaster to get?-untitled-jpg

I would LOVE to see the pic of that "wood flooring" Strat like object in the background. I still have a big soft spot in my heart (and head, evidently) for those ridiculously over the top 80's shed axes with crazy graphics.

User Info Menu

A MIJ Deviser -Bacchus or -Momose.

I have a Bacchus T-Master with a soapbar P90 in the neck. The Black or Brown oiled Swamp Ash ones are very nice.

Momose is like its Custom Shop.

T-STANDARD - BACCHUS Guitars

T-HOLLOW - BACCHUS Guitars

T-MASTER - BACCHUS Guitars
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 11-10-2016 at 03:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Could be a great time to buy if you're after a USA Standard or Special as they're being sold off to make way for the USA Pro series. I've heard some talk of them having slightly beefier necks and a few other changes to saddles, pickups etc.

Might be worth waiting for Winter Namm.

Interesting! I thought the standard might be discontinued because of the new elites? But those are replacing the "deluxe" models, isn't it? I think I will wait a bit before pulling the trigger. The elite looked really great to me and ticked the right boxes for what I would look for in a modern tele. For the time being, it was a bit pricy, but some time down the road it will be ok.

UPDATE: For the time being I had already decided against the historic reissues ((way) too expensive, compromises in specs) and, despite the attraction, did not want to shell out the money for the elite. Then it was a consideration between a modded cheapo, the Baja or a Warmoth. The Baja I would have refinished since I hated the thick poly finish.

Since none of these options has any resale value, I eventually changed my mind and figured that the Warmoth option will give me the best guitar. Yesterday night I found "screaming deals" for a nice boatneck Maple neck with Maple fretboard (should be similar in shape to the 52 historics according to Warmoth but has a compound radius and modern double expanding trussrod technology as well as a modern TUSQ nut) and an unfinished really light (3 pound), chambered swampash body that together with some elementary hardware will set me back just 400 US$. I know from experience that these components will be high quality wood and impeccable workmanship. It will have more of a vintage vibe with no body contours, but that is kind of what I wanted here. Just enough subtle, modern features to make it enjoyable and easy to play.

I will put a quality three brass saddle bridge (ABM), pickups (Fender Nocasters) and electronics as well as Schaller locking tuners on it and will have a high quality guitar for less than the price of the Baja but with no compromises. Things will take a few weeks to arrive and then I still need time to finish it (planning to go with a natural look and use oil of some kind) and put it together (which is a piece of cake).

I am still considering getting a real modern tele a bit later since one can never have enough teles (so I am told :-)). Thanks to everybody for their insights. This was/is a fun thread! Keep sharing your insights and opinions.

User Info Menu

...Any insight or advice? ...
    ..boatneck Maple neck with Maple fretboard (should be similar in shape to the 52 historics according to Warmoth but has a compound radius and modern double expanding trussrod technology as well as a modern TUSQ nut)
    ...unfinished really light (3 pound), chambered swampash body...
    ...three brass saddle bridge (ABM)…
    ...Schaller locking tuners....
    Warmoth makes excellent products.
    The neck you have chosen will be heavy due to the modern double expanding trussrod, and even heavier with Schaller locking tuners.
    The body is very light as mentioned.
    You may encounter minor balance issues.
    If you want locking tuners, you might want to consider Gotoh vintage style locking tuners - considerably lighter than the Schallers and excellent quality - to help offset any balance issues.

For example:
    Gotoh Locking Vintage Oval Knob 6-In-Line Tuners | stewmac.com
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-14-2016 at 12:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Neither here nor there, but for what it worth, I'm putting it out there... I discovered top loading bridge and it was great! It didn't change the sound of the tele, but the feel became akin to a shorter scale archtop that I play regularly. Nice and loose, and perfect for heavy strings. I like to use 11s on a tele, and I could never get comfy on long scale guitars, the tension always gets to me. Top loader made it perfect, enjoying my tele so much more now!

User Info Menu

I know it is not what you are asking but I am inclined to give a +1 to what Alain Jazz suggests - take a look at the American Special Tele.

It is really jazz friendly (high output pick ups and the 'grease bucket' tone control) and much closer to vintage styling (3 saddle brass bridge) than the American Standard

Definitely worth a look

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Neither here nor there, but for what it worth, I'm putting it out there... I discovered top loading bridge and it was great! It didn't change the sound of the tele, but the feel became akin to a shorter scale archtop that I play regularly. Nice and loose, and perfect for heavy strings. I like to use 11s on a tele, and I could never get comfy on long scale guitars, the tension always gets to me. Top loader made it perfect, enjoying my tele so much more now!
    Thank you Hep to the Jive. That is a really interesting point as I was planning to put heavier strings on it. For me, personally, I came to conclude that I like the 25.5 scale better on arch tops whereas I am really happy with 24.75 on a Les Paul or other rock guitar. Thankfully a bridge is such an easy swap on a tele that I can give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Warmoth makes excellent products.
    The neck you have chosen will be heavy due to the modern double expanding trussrod, and even heavier with Schaller locking tuners.
    The body is very light as mrntioned.
    You may encounter minor balance issues.
    If you want locking tuners, you might want to consider Gotoh vintage style locking tuners - considerably lighter than the Schallers and excellent quality - to help offset any balance issues.

For example:
    Gotoh Locking Vintage Oval Knob 6-In-Line Tuners | stewmac.com
    Mmmh, that is an excellent point Hammertone! I really had not thought about this at all. So, I've been thinking - the funky blue strat in the picture above is similar in this respect at it has a featherlight chambered body and a maple neck with double expanding trussrod as well as Schaller tuners. I just checked it again and it hangs hangs just fine on a leather strap provided it is not too slippery. Sitting there is not an issue at all. So I would be hoping that the tele would be fine. I am generally apparently not very sensitive to neck heaviness. I know that for some it is a major subject and a deal breaker, but I never really had issues with it. I guess it would be difficult to switch now since the headstock is drilled for Schaller tuners. Would the Gotoh's fit as well? I have been really really happy with the Schallers on my previous Warmth guitars.

Cheers,
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by EvansDrD
    I know it is not what you are asking but I am inclined to give a +1 to what Alain Jazz suggests - take a look at the American Special Tele.

It is really jazz friendly (high output pick ups and the 'grease bucket' tone control) and much closer to vintage styling (3 saddle brass bridge) than the American Standard

Definitely worth a look
    Thank you very much Dr. Evans! It is good to know that this model receives so much support here. I tried a six saddle vs 3 saddle bridge on my old tele and much preferred the sound of the three saddle one. so this is a plus. I hope I can try one of those out in a store when it is tele shopping time again :-)

User Info Menu

Try and play at least a 52 and a USA Standard just to give yourself an idea of the neck profiles.

My experience was that the 52 felt absolutely great and sounded great in my hands. The only problem was that I kept pulling the high E string off the edge of the fingerboard. The high E is a bit too close to the edge and with the 7.25 radius board and perhaps some sloppy technique on my part it was an issue. Otherwise it could have been my perfect guitar.

The USA Standard and Deluxe's all played great and just got out of the way and allowed me to play but didn't quite have the same mojo as the 52 and left my slightly uninspired.

I found out there's a 52 hot rod which is the same as the 52 reissue but with a 9.5 radius fingerboard.

I'm sure we all know by now there's no substitute for trying a few different guitars. I've lost count of the amount of times I've gone out a tried a guitar only to have my preconceived ideas somewhat shattered.

A couple of tele's I'd never even considered before playing them that left a very good impression were the Road Worn and the Nashville. I know, I know. Not cool. But they played and sounded great to me.