The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Just wondering how many early purchasers who bought the first generation amps with the fan noise are still using and intend to continue using their amps in spite of the noise. I have decided that the benefits - great sound,portability etc. definitely outweigh the cons and will be keeping mine at least for the forseeable future.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The noise doesn't bother me much.

User Info Menu

The fan on mine only comes on under a heavy load or a very warm location. I don't often hear it. I'm not even sure whether mine is a first or second generation, although I bought it recently. Who knows how long Guitar Center keeps stock of items that don't sell very fast. I guess I could Google it using my serial number, but I'm not that interested. The noise isn't loud enough to bother me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I'm not even sure whether mine is a first or second generation, although I bought it recently.
    If the back of your amp looks like this (with the fan not visible), it's second generation:
    DV Mark Little Jazz - Living with the fan noise?-little_jazz_rear-jpg

If it looks like this (with the fan visible), it's first generation:

DV Mark Little Jazz - Living with the fan noise?-hjfflp0-jpg

User Info Menu

My first generation fan runs all the time, and it drove me nuts until I installed an on/off switch.
    Since then it's been just great. No problems with the amp getting warm either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    My first generation fan runs all the time, and it drove me nuts until I installed an on/off switch.
    Since then it's been just great. No problems with the amp getting warm either.
    Thought about inserting a switch but concerned about how long to leave the fan off ( presumably the designers considered it was necessary? ). Could you possibly say if the inclusion of the switch was a difficult excercise. Can solder OK but no whiz on cicuitry!

David

User Info Menu

Installing the switch was cheap & easy. Just a simple on/off toggle in either of the two wires running the fan breaks the circuit. The install was easy -- figuring out how to get the chassis off the speaker cabinet is the trickiest part. the good news is that the chassis is aluminum, so drilling a hole to mount the switch was easy.

My amp has been trouble free. I keep the fan off most all of the time, but also I seldom turn the amp up very loud.
    I'm very happy with this mod.

User Info Menu

Installing the switch was cheap & easy. Just a simple on/off toggle in either of the two wires running the fan breaks the circuit. The install was easy -- figuring out how to get the chassis off the speaker cabinet is the trickiest part. the good news is that the chassis is aluminum, so drilling a hole to mount the switch was easy.

My amp has been trouble free. I keep the fan off most all of the time, but also I seldom turn the amp up very loud.
    I'm very happy with this mod.
    That is really helpful Longways - thanks for taking time to reply. Would it be too simple to say 'Fan off for practice with Vol on half' and 'Fan on for all gig situations' do you think? No good asking DV Mark guys one can imagine what they would say!

User Info Menu

DV Mark guys would undoubtedly recommend against a switch! LOL

My gigs are not very frequent and mostly quiet -- duo or trio in art gallery settings. I have used the Little Jazz on these gigs with fan off just to see if there was any heat, but the amp never got warm at all. So maybe I turned the fan on just to be on the safe side during a break? . . . Mostly, I just go with fan Off, but I like to have the option just in case. I suppose the amp might get hot if you had it cranked for an hour, but I don't do that with mine -- loud gigs get a bigger amp!

FWIW, this issue was discussed quite a bit in a previous Little Jazz thread (the one that is about 10 pages long . . .) I posted a photo of my fan switch in that thread too -- you'd never know it wasn't factory Also, there is some discussion in that thread about replacing the fan with a quieter model -- I never explored that approach.

User Info Menu

I replaced the fan in mine, but I could still hear it when playing quietly at home, so I don't use it much for practice. I do use it for live playing as much as possible; it's just so portable!
    I think the switch mod is the best solution if you really want to use it at low volume.

Hi,
    I have a version one model and replaced the fan with a noctua quiet fan. I then found that there was almost as much noise coming from the inlet grill (vertical bars) because of air turbulence. I emailed dvmark and they were emphatic that the fan was necessary.
    By now, I'm used to the sound, but will probably put in a switch as well - but I'm the personality profile that can't leave alone ��
    Still a nice amp I use a lot.
    Hope this helps,
    Hans

User Info Menu

Thanks to all respondents - much appreciated. Mine is mostly used for practice + the occasional gig but looking like a switch might be the way to go and then leave the fan on 100% for a gig. Love the amp and not worth trading 'up' to the latest version. Shame they didn't do more development work/trials before going into production first time around.

joaopaz Guest
    Hi guys, quick noob question.
    So there's no fan issues on the second generation amps?
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

I have no issues with it. If you push it hard, in a warm room, the fan will come on, and it's audible if you listen closely, but it doesn't bother me. On a gig you wouldn't hear it at all. if you cover the fan it's completely silent, and the air will still be expelled through the other openings.

User Info Menu

DV Mark guys would undoubtedly recommend against a switch! LOL

My gigs are not very frequent and mostly quiet -- duo or trio in art gallery settings. I have used the Little Jazz on these gigs with fan off just to see if there was any heat, but the amp never got warm at all. So maybe I turned the fan on just to be on the safe side during a break? . . . Mostly, I just go with fan Off, but I like to have the option just in case. I suppose the amp might get hot if you had it cranked for an hour, but I don't do that with mine -- loud gigs get a bigger amp!

FWIW, this issue was discussed quite a bit in a previous Little Jazz thread (the one that is about 10 pages long . . .) I posted a photo of my fan switch in that thread too -- you'd never know it wasn't factory Also, there is some discussion in that thread about replacing the fan with a quieter model -- I never explored that approach.
    Longways - Just wondering if you had had any issues to date after fitting the switch?

David ( I have had none ).

User Info Menu

No issues. I still think it is a lovely sounding amp. Also small & practical.
    It is my favorite for my quiet art gallery duo gigs.

I guess you'd have to play it a lot louder than I do to get it to warm up.

User Info Menu

Completely agree and no issues here either. Gigged occasionally, but then fan on and noise level not an issue. For practice, absolutely silent. Thanks for leading the way!

User Info Menu

I taped a piece of cloth in front of the fan outlet to see if it made a difference and it was dead silent. The noise doesnt bother me when playing and its only noticeable if the amp is sitting in front of a hard surface,any type of sound absorbing surface placed behind it like a pillow etc. pretty much negates the sound of the fan. Its a great little amp. Bob

User Info Menu

Hi Longways to go,

I'm readings this 8 years after, but I like your fix! Saw the photo of the switch in the other post too. But do you have a picture of how the wires are connected on the inside? I have two left hands, so some images would help a lot. I just got a second hand DV , not the mini, and the fan noise is bothering me.

Answers from others are welcome as well, of course.

Rob

User Info Menu

There are two wires to the fan. Cut either one, and wire the cut ends to the switch. That's it. If necessary to reach the switch, depending on where you installed it, you may need to splice some longer wires to the ends.

User Info Menu

Thanks, can't be that hard then.
    What about that toggle switch. Do i need something like this, with two connecting points? Voltage and Ampere?

There are two wires to the fan. Cut either one, and wire the cut ends to the switch. That's it. If necessary to reach the switch, depending on where you installed it, you may need to splice some longer wires to the ends.
    Attached Images Attached Images DV Mark Little Jazz - Living with the fan noise?-switch-jpg 

User Info Menu

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that my issue with the fan is not for the Little, but the larger Jazz 12 model.
    I just bought this 2nd hand and I love the sound!
    Will this solution with the switch also work for my model @sgosnell ?

User Info Menu

It's the same, regardless of the amp. A single-pole single-throw switch with two terminals is fine. It doesn't need to be expensive, and smaller is better for that use. Its only purpose is to open and close the circuit to the fan. There isn't that much voltage to the fan, probably 12V, although I haven't checked that. Pretty much any available switch that will fit should be fine. Sorry I'm late, life has interrupted forum reading.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your inspiration and information. I managed to make this Jazz 12 of 2015 really silent. Love the Amp even more now. Here are some pics of the proces.
    Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images DV Mark Little Jazz - Living with the fan noise?-img20240329182206-jpg DV Mark Little Jazz - Living with the fan noise?-img20240329182545-jpg DV Mark Little Jazz - Living with the fan noise?-img20240329180616-jpg DV Mark Little Jazz - Living with the fan noise?-img20240329180634-jpg DV Mark Little Jazz - Living with the fan noise?-img20240329175226-jpg 

User Info Menu

See, not rocket science.