The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: How many gits do you own?

Voters
426. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Real players only need one

17 3.99%
  • 2-5 I One home, a couple for giggin, y'know

161 37.79%
  • 6-20 Did wifey see the last new one?

210 49.30%
  • 21-50 I think I need an intervention

28 6.57%
  • 50+ Crap, I need a bigger house.

10 2.35%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 191

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAA
    In #7 nopedals said…..

Interesting that nobody has one guitar. Years ago that was the norm. I played for decades before buying a spare guitar. Anybody else remember the 60s 70s differently? You just owned the best guitar you could afford.

I too have just one today and can connect directly with the comment about the 60’s and 70’s. We were kids snd no one had a “spare or backup” guitar. We bought the ones we could afford, played them and really enjoyed them.

For me in 1967-1978 it was a 1967
    L-5C that I eventually sold in 1982. MANY jobs, sometimes 6-nights a week. I got re-infected in 2021 and bought a 1952 L-5C.,..my single guitar today but no longer gigging…don’t need a spare.

Tom
    Had my first guitar in 1966 at the age of 10. It was a Futurama II. That was sold to get a Harmony Meteor in '70. In '75 I bought an L6S. Since then I have had at least 2 guitars at one time. It got out of control when I was out of work around 2008 and particularly during covid.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have one guitar — an L6-S.

User Info Menu

5 and that's plenty (no more "just one more" for me... I promise)

User Info Menu

When I last replied on this thread in 2016 I had about a dozen guitars. Still do, but mostly different guitars.

I was in a popular band back in the 80s, and for 6 years we did over 300 dates a year on the road. I owned one guitar and one amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAA
    In #7 nopedals said…..
    Interesting that nobody has one guitar. Years ago that was the norm. I played for decades before buying a spare guitar.
    When I was student I had about three. When the kids came I sold everything and played one cheapish guitar for 15-odd years. First a Chinese Hagström, a brand which had re-entered the market. Then a PRS SE Soapbar I, a great guitar that I still have. Now that the kids have grown up I’ve been able to collect a few nice guitars again.

I really wish that on guitar and one amp would give me what I need, day in day out. Like Rory Gallagher or Brian May. But I’m not wired like that (nor can I play like them). When I had one guitar, there would be weeks of intense playing and then I’d get bored and not touch a guitar for weeks. Now that I have several, I play every day. There’s always one that inspires me. Love that.

User Info Menu

33 at last count 6 Gibsons, 6 Taylors , 6 PRS's , Dobro,Alembic ,Jaros, Gretsch, Takamine and 6 custom Greywolfs.

User Info Menu

Nine. These six, a Spanish Flamingo made by Manuel Paez, (now my wife's), a Taylor dreadnaught, (now my son's) and a 00 Martin.
    How Many Guitars Do You Own?-img_0455-jpg

User Info Menu

Seven years ago I replied in this thread that I had slimmed down to 18 guitars from 22. I am back up to 20 and have my name on Mark Campellone's list to get on his list. I now have:

6 Electric archtops
    5 Acoustic archtops
    6 Solid Body guitars
    2 Gypsy jazz guitars
    1 Classical guitar

I enjoy all of them, have the space to store them, and gig with most of them so it is all good. I have been with the same woman for the last 26 years. One woman and 20 guitars is a hell of a lot easier than the other way around!

User Info Menu

Being a Luthier for 40 years , I can justify the collection to give clients lots of options to sample to get an idea of what they want. I just added #33 a limited run PRS McCarty Soapbar with a solid rosewood neck in delicious raspberry. Roll of the tone and it is a suprisingly good jazz guitar, the rosewood neck as a lovely airiness to the tone.
    How Many Guitars Do You Own?-jiiifq8qyl1s6ddlv1ye-jpgHow Many Guitars Do You Own?-pwd7yaszkdiw4trsk2k2-jpg
    Last edited by Greywolf; 08-24-2023 at 06:17 AM.

User Info Menu

I have 10 which is probably a few two many.

One Aria FA71 archtop
    One Manouche modele jazz
    Three electrics (Strat / 2 x Teles)
    Martin acoustic
    2 x Tanglewood acoustics
    Furch acoustic
    Michael Messer Lightning

The electrics get used at increasingly rare band gigs, though there may be another band in my future.

The Tanglewoods and Martin get used at acoustic fingerpicking gigs.

The Manouche is used in my Gypsy jazz jams - and hopefully some forthcoming gigs.

The others are home guitars.

Derek

User Info Menu

13 ish?

User Info Menu

5 electrics
    2 acoustics
    2 basses

User Info Menu

Old Stratocaster
    Old Telecaster
    Stratocaster made of parts
    R8 Les Paul
    Laminate arch top
    Carved arch top
    Baritone electric
    Martin D28
    Martin 00028

So 9- less than I thought!

User Info Menu

Basically, 7 now. 4 8 string guitars (Brahms classical-electric arch-top, acoustic arch-top, fretless T-style) , 3 six string guitars (laminate arch-top, solid body, flamenco).

I”m done. Way more than enough. I sold 2 exceptional Gibson archtops and don’t remotely miss them.

I want to wear out the finish of my 2 main guitars, the VB electric 8 string archtop and the 8 string Solomon acoustic arch-top by playing them and playing them and playing them.

User Info Menu

Only one guitar - Gibson Memphis ES-175 Reissue Antique Natural

User Info Menu

…….“wear out the finish”…..reminds me of an old expression my friends used to utter…..”I’m going to drive this car into the ground”.

Now that’s dedication!

Tom

User Info Menu

Well as the winds of Fate would have it #34 arrives tommorow , a very special Bird indeed and another Flame Red

from Alembic How Many Guitars Do You Own?-det_l_flamemaple_redl-1-jpg
    "Cherry sweet Skylark covered in red with flamed top peeking through the color. Usually we make the front peghead veneer Ebony, but with all this lovely red, we just had to make it coordinate in Flame Maple with the red finish.

More on the red theme with red side LEDs. Operated by an on/off switch, fire these on when the stage lights go dim and play on with confidence. Each one is inlaid in a tiny sterling silver circle so even if they are turned off, you can still clearly see the side position marker. Battery power is from a separate circuit from the active electronics, so even if you allow the LED batteries to go dead, you won't lose precious power for your signal.

Great bright tone, almost like an amplified acoustic. Each pickup has its own volume control and low pass filter tone control. Want to cut out some highs? Just dial the filter down to your preferred cutoff frequency.

• Flame Maple top, Mahogany Hollow body
    • Clear Red Gloss polyester finish
    • 24.75" scale 3-piece Maple, set neck with 2 Walnut pinstripes
    • Ebony fingerboard with Mother of Pearl inlays
    • Red side LEDs
    • Bronze logo
    • Pickups: Alembic HGR
    • Controls: 2 volumes, 2 filters, off/on/bright for each pickup, on/off for LEDs
    • Price includes case
    • weight is about 8.5 pounds

How Many Guitars Do You Own?-13548_45viewl-jpg

a nice clip

User Info Menu

#35 PRS Single Cut Indian rosewood neck, brazilian board , BG PAF with coil tap everything from warm jazz to almost acoustic sparkle.
    How Many Guitars Do You Own?-prs_singlecut_trem_rw_neck_justin_02-jpgHow Many Guitars Do You Own?-prs_singlecut_trem_rw_neck_justin_07-jpg

User Info Menu

#36 How Many Guitars Do You Own?-neck-jpgBeing born in 1955 , and with a '79 Les Paul Custom as my first electric (a wedding present , new and still have) I always dreamed of a birth year model. I came across this beauty 8 months ago and missed the bid, thankfully it reappeared . A custom shop 55 LP Special . The flame maple neck is thick and not excessively bright. all in all a dream come true How Many Guitars Do You Own?-3-jpg

User Info Menu

According to my wife, too many. According to me, one less than necessary.

User Info Menu

Too many.
    I need only one but the best!

User Info Menu

Seven guitars and two Telecasters... mickmac..

User Info Menu

Just bought 2 Vintera Telecasters so I'm up to 5 counting 1 bass

User Info Menu

#37 arrives tommorow . A Tier 1 (highest) Kenai P90 (lollars) . The satin teal finish is lovely .Mahogany body and neck, rosewood fretboard with Morning Star inlays. Joe Knaggs ran the PRS Private Stock dept for many moons before startinghis own company , they keep it small . This is #1692 not many for a 10 yr old company at the time. How Many Guitars Do You Own?-mlh55vftskjs4f8yaqcs-jpg

I grew up in Alaska , the Kenai is the River /Peninsula where the largest salmon and moose in the world live , manyhappy memories , the color is similar to the glacial fed waters.

How Many Guitars Do You Own?-llzni7pdkzrvtcaxpuat-jpg

User Info Menu

A true beauty!

What are the PRS's P90s like, compared to Gibson's?