The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

July 4, 2016: After lusting over those beautiful photos of "2b's" MR. Wu guitar I succumbed and asked if Mr. Wu can build a duplicate guitar of the one he's making for "2bornot2bop";.. I think the words "shameless ripoff".... came to mind.....

July 10, 2016: Sent examples of Art Deco headstock, tailpiece and pickguard designs that looked good to me and asked Mr. and Mrs. Wu to use these for inspiration in their designs. Also included photos of Art Deco motiefs found in the City of Shanghai during the Art Deco craze... Said for Mr. Wu to use his name as part of the guitar headstock logo...

July 31, 2016: Sent a drawing of neck thicknesses at various fret positions measured from my Heritage Super Eagle. I like this thickness along with a 1.75 inch nut width due to arthritis in my left hand (thumb)...

August, 2016: sent Lora a set of Grover Imperial Tuners, and a Kent Armstrong single coil floater with hidden vol and tone, obtained from Joe Vinikow... Also a set of TI strings. Said a "D" profile would be fine.

October 16, 2016: Received photo of top and back from Lora. Asked about presence of "streaking" in the top. Don't know if it's significant or not. Waiting for a response.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Right on mauibob!

What shade is planned for the guitar? Can't wait to see it completed.

Strum 'em if you've got 'em!

User Info Menu

2b, when you share photos of your guitar, I have to summon all my strength to resist the temptation of just frustratedly writing out all-caps curse words. It truly is a beautiful guitar, as is your photography.

User Info Menu

I think the carve on that back and top are divine !!! Even if it is a natural stain finish I think it'll be gorgeous. Or as the famous Men's Warehouse guy used to pitch "you're gonna like the way you look, I guarantee it !!"

Big

User Info Menu

I'd love to see one of Mr Wu's guitars in the wood so to speak. Is the quality of fit and finish as good as on Western made instruments, for example, do the binding mitres all line up, is the binding a consistant thickness, is the body of the guitar generally free from irregular sanding and shaping etc etc. All those little things that make something look quality? One thing is for sure, I think the sunbursts that Mr Wu achieves are up there with the best I've seen and the colour of the above guitar is my favourite; golden yellow to red brown. As far as streakiness is concerned, if the guitar has a sunburst finish, then that will hide quite a lot of it. Also that kind of colouration can be quite attractive if only subtle. I hope your build turns out as well as you could imagine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody
    2b, when you share photos of your guitar, I have to summon all my strength to resist the temptation of just frustratedly writing out all-caps curse words. It truly is a beautiful guitar, as is your photography.
    Thank you, you're much too kind MM!

Quote Originally Posted by plasticpigeon
    I'd love to see one of Mr Wu's guitars in the wood so to speak. Is the quality of fit and finish as good as on Western made instruments, for example, do the binding mitres all line up, is the binding a consistant thickness, is the body of the guitar generally free from irregular sanding and shaping etc etc. All those little things that make something look quality? One thing is for sure, I think the sunbursts that Mr Wu achieves are up there with the best I've seen and the colour of the above guitar is my favourite; golden yellow to red brown. As far as streakiness is concerned, if the guitar has a sunburst finish, then that will hide quite a lot of it. Also that kind of colouration can be quite attractive if only subtle. I hope your build turns out as well as you could imagine.
    We adults have long since learned in life "you don't get something for nothing."

IMO, it's unrealistic to hold an instrument that sells new for $1k, to a standard for an instrument that sells new for $7k, or above. You don't get something for nothing.

Wu excels in wood binding. To the best of my knowledge, I may have been the first to order an 18" with a specific request that "white" binding be used. That was a game changer for the Wu team, as suddenly they're having to negotiate binding on a curve, instead of binding of the same width around the perimeter of the guitar...ever seen a close up of an L5 cutaway? That's years of experience at work there...would you expect Gibson to know how to do that the first time out?

That said, the standard of the Wu guitar is extremely high...and beyond the visual aesthetics, or minor cosmetic miscues, the guitar plays perfectly, and sounds like a cannon. At the end of the day, that's where the rubber hits the road for this kid.

User Info Menu

​Agree with 2B

User Info Menu

Here's my 18 incher (Florentine cutaway) . Order placed in July as well. They said it will be finished in December.
    Attached Images Attached Images My 18" Mr. Wu build-img_0516-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Here's my 18 incher (Florentine cutaway) . Order placed in July as well. They said it will be finished in December.
    Super 400 shape template? NICE!!!

That back wood is killer too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Super 400 shape template? NICE!!!

That back wood is killer too!
    The template was based on one of the guitars on his site. And modified accordingly. It's going to be an oval hole.

The only guitar I ever regretted selling was the 1974 Gibson Howard Roberts. Which is a oval hole Florentine guitar . Obviously this is not going to be that guitar because that was the laminate box. But I like bright sounding finger style instruments , and the oval hole will contribute to that sound .

User Info Menu

Hi Al!

Here are wiring diagrams for the KA P/U. (uses a "brightness switch"). Also, I have included the neck thicknesses from the Super Eagle.

Great Adventure!

User Info Menu

Be careful of information overload with your guitar order. There's a reason many of us specifically ordered guitars without electronics, and then handled the electronics on this side of the pond.

If you request electronics installed there's no guarantee you're not going to have to address the electronics once your guitar arrives, no matter what you ordered. Note, I only recently had electronics installed in the guitar I previously ordered....something to think about? I'd hate to see you disappointed for any reason. It's my personal opinion that the simpler one makes their order the greater their odds of success.

User Info Menu

Be careful of information overload with your guitar order. There's a reason many of us specifically ordered guitars without electronics, and then handled the electronics on this side of the pond.

If you request electronics installed there's no guarantee you're not going to have to address the electronics once your guitar arrives, no matter what you ordered. Note, I only recently had electronics installed in the guitar I previously ordered....something to think about? I'd hate to see you disappointed for any reason. It's my personal opinion that the simpler one makes their order the greater their odds of success.
    Totally agreed. Mr. Wu is an excellent guitar builder. No so much with the electronics.

User Info Menu

Thank you, you're much too kind MM!

We adults have long since learned in life "you don't get something for nothing."

IMO, it's unrealistic to hold an instrument that sells new for $1k, to a standard for an instrument that sells new for $7k, or above. You don't get something for nothing.

Wu excels in wood binding. To the best of my knowledge, I may have been the first to order an 18" with a specific request that "white" binding be used. That was a game changer for the Wu team, as suddenly they're having to negotiate binding on a curve, instead of binding of the same width around the perimeter of the guitar...ever seen a close up of an L5 cutaway? That's years of experience at work there...would you expect Gibson to know how to do that the first time out?

That said, the standard of the Wu guitar is extremely high...and beyond the visual aesthetics, or minor cosmetic miscues, the guitar plays perfectly, and sounds like a cannon. At the end of the day, that's where the rubber hits the road for this kid.
    Thanks for the reply 2B. In fact I have seen quite a few older L-5s. I actually think their fit and finish is only good enough, rather than excellent. I think newer ones seem to have more precise fit and finish. I'm not sure that makes them any better or more attractive though. Re Mr Wu's guitars, I was curious about what to expect, rather than commenting on value for money. It is nice to know these things. Just recently I read about "sprezzatura" with specific reference to Donald Trumps ties, and how he doesn't achieve that effortless elegant look, as his ties are too long and the knot too tight and perfect. I know nothing about fashion but I think those old L-5s I've seen have that; the work is that of someone very skilled, but not labouring over every last detail! Maybe Mr Wu's guitars are like that, it's a fine line!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by plasticpigeon
    Thanks for the reply 2B. In fact I have seen quite a few older L-5s. I actually think their fit and finish is only good enough, rather than excellent. I think newer ones seem to have more precise fit and finish. I'm not sure that makes them any better or more attractive though. Re Mr Wu's guitars, I was curious about what to expect, rather than commenting on value for money. It is nice to know these things. Just recently I read about "sprezzatura" with specific reference to Donald Trumps ties, and how he doesn't achieve that effortless elegant look, as his ties are too long and the knot too tight and perfect. I know nothing about fashion but I think those old L-5s I've seen have that; the work is that of someone very skilled, but not labouring over every last detail! Maybe Mr Wu's guitars are like that, it's a fine line!!!!
    The "curve" of the cutaway binding, where it traditionally widens in the cutaway, was like a curve ball in the Major leagues to use an baseball analogy. It's hard to hit. They did okay for their first time outing with white binding. The binding used was more of an issue, for it was unexpected that a narrow binding would be used...if you scrutinize my photos you'll observe the binding is not as wide as is traditional on "American" archtops. That's because they didn't have access to the wider binding, which is what I was told. Nonetheless, in spite of the scrutiny in the cutaway I'd still conservatively rate that aspect of the guitars finish a 9.5 out of 10. My eye naturally notes any detail flaw. On the other hand, the top, back, and f-hole binding turned out as good as I've seen on the many Super Eagles I've owned. And for the record, the guitar I had built far eclipses the acoustic properties of any of the 10 or so SE's I've owned. It's tone and volume are simply off the charts....that alone allows me personally to overlook any cosmetic differences between an Asian and American made archtop...I've never had a big guitar like this.

Nice of you to have an open mind towards something from the East. Try it, you'll like it. But if you place an order, keep it simple and don't make it complicated. Happy to answer any questions if I can assist....simply PM me. Good luck PP!
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 10-17-2016 at 03:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Stick with the Wu's building the guitar. Do not complicate the process with electronics. The guitar I have enroute I ordered in April, and before the process got too far along I asked that NO electronics be added whatsoever. So you have heard it from many people who are satisfied REPEAT customers, let him build your dream guitar and after you have it THEN trick it out here on this side of the big pond...

Big

PS the tops and backs I have seen are wonderful !! Keep those photos coming !!

User Info Menu

Thanks Big Mike, ]b and djellynfor your comments on the electronics complications. I thought a while about it before asking Mr Wu if he thought he could do it successfully. It's all pickguard mounted anyway. Now that the Chinese have two astronauts circling the Earth, I thought it was worth a try to see if Mr Wu's team can meet the challenge.

User Info Menu

I had a '74 HR too - nice guitar. Sadly, I too sold mine to buy sheet rock for the house I was building. Oh well...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    ?

Stick with the Wu's building the guitar. Do not complicate the process with electronics. The guitar I have enroute I ordered in April, and before the process got too far along I asked that NO electronics be added whatsoever. So you have heard it from many people who are satisfied REPEAT customers, let him build your dream guitar and after you have it THEN trick it out here on this side of the big pond...

Big

PS the tops and backs I have seen are wonderful !! Keep those photos coming !!
    Are you having them cut the holes for pickups and such?

Or o you let your preferred luthier do it?

User Info Menu

If it's a set in pickup I have Mr. Wu installing his electronics. Then have a tech here Stateside install harness, new pickups, switches and jacks - preferably CTS.

But that was rare, I'm a floater guy so usually just the finished guitar with no holes cut for electronics.

User Info Menu

After reading all the responses cautioning me against having Mr Wu install the floater gear I'd sent to him, I messaged Lora to tell him to stick to building the guitar itself and just return the electrics to me...