The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 240

User Info Menu

Contact the curator and let them know the guard is offgassing

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wonderful playing and tone....how were your clips recorded?

Thanks,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    Wonderful playing and tone....how were your clips recorded?

Thanks,
    Boatheelmusic, Than you sir. As I listen back on these clips, I realize that My playing was poor. I always use the pick guard for a home position for the pinky on my picking hand. When I recorded these, the pickguard was not secured properly. On Gibson archtops, there is a thick cotton pad that is glued to the underside of the pick guard and it gently rests on the top of the body. Well, when I recorded this, due to the warping of the original pickguard, the pad was floating above the top about 3/16". So when I 'touched down', The pickguard dropped another 3/16". This messed up my timing a bit. So I did the guitar no justice with these videos. I've since fixed the problem. Once the new PG is installed, next week everything will be perfect.

My recording workflow is very simple. I have a Zoom G3 which I use as a Digital USB Interface. Its a multi-effects processor. For its effects, I use a flat EQ with a slight bump in volume, just to give it a little more volume. No amp Simulation and just a touch of digital reverb. So the flow goes like this..
    Guitar>ZOOM G3 usb out>Toshiba Qosmio PC Laptop>Zoom G3 Driver active>Youcam6videocapture software. I am using a Logitech C920HD USB webcam. It is extraordinarily clear. It see's well in medium light situations. Its good and bad. The good, the guitar is clear. The bad, the guy playing the guitar is clear too.. Yeesh.

Thanks, Joe D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Joe,

You might be aware that I own an L-5C outfitted with a Gibson JS pickup from the same era (1975) as your GJS. It would be fun to compare them. Mine is very different in tone from a vintage swing era Gibson (it's warmer, darker), but also very lightweight at ~6.25 lbs. It has a slim neck with the widest string spacing of my various Gibsons, despite retaining a 1 11/16" nut. It's also ever so slightly shallower in rim depth than a standard L-5.

Here's our favorite purple bedsheet with the guitar:

Attachment 36801
    RP, I missed this post yesterday, Im sorry man. I knew you had an L5c. Its a beauty too.
    The purple bedsheet sure has been around huh?
    JD

User Info Menu

George used a GJS on Breezin, Good King Bad, and Benson and Farrell. On his earlier CTI recordings he used Guilds but as stated he could make a Montgomery Ward guitar sound good. I saw him a couple times pre Breezin with the CTI all stars and he was playing the blonde GJS. He really shined when he played with Stanley Turrentine, Freddie Hubbard, Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock, Hubert Laws, etc.....The CTI all stars tour was the best concerts I have ever heard in my life.
    All those guys had monster chops and really feed off each other big time. The audience would stagger out like they were drunk after the show. George will always be in the history books.

User Info Menu

My favorite Benson playing is from a Jimmy Smith date entitled "Off the Top". All of the players on that date were inspired and in the deepest pocket outside of the Grand Canyon .

https://www.amazon.com/Off-Top-Jimmy.../dp/B000002H19

George sounds great on his Guild, his Gibson, his D'Angelico and his Ibanez (all are makers of superb jazz guitars, and George Benson is one of the greatest jazz guitarists of all time).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    My favorite Benson playing is from a Jimmy Smith date entitled "Off the Top". All of the players on that date were inspired and in the deepest pocket outside of the Grand Canyon .

George sounds great on his Guild, his Gibson, his D'Angelico and his Ibanez (all are makers of superb jazz guitars, and George Benson is one of the greatest jazz guitarists of all time).
    I bought that when it came out, the first straight ahead Benson in some time.

User Info Menu

As folks have said, George Benson could make any guitar sound great. That's a fact. That guy swings so hard. Damned.

Benson sure sounded right on top of his craft, though, during his Johnny Smith years. I know that this is right when he crossed over (like Wes) and started becoming wealthy. Heck, more power to him, right? One thing is certain: he never lost one iota of his playing ability when he became a full-time singer.

I don't know how many of you do Benson's gig--well or badly--but let me tell you, when I sing I get MUCH more attention from the audience. People like players, but they really listen to singers.

Here's another thing: the Gibson Johnny Smith guitar is capable of sounding as beautiful as the human voice--in capable hands. It is a terrific instrument.

Hey, Roger...good to see you back, again. I bet your L-5 with suspended pickup is very much a match for the JS. It would be great to have somebody do a A/B clip sometime.

User Info Menu

Vinny,
    You saw some classic shows my man.
    George is in my personal "Gallery of the Greats".
    I was watching a youtube of George and Carlos Santana playing Breezin. George was playing an imitation Ibanez Johnny Smith. It had a "LEGAL" headstock on it.
    Most people are not crazy about Santana as a player. I happen to love him. Its amazing to me that he can basically turn any song into a Santana song.. And he gets away with playing pretty much the same thing, over and over again..

These are legendary figures in our musical life. And I cant ever fault them for trying to make a buck.

JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    As folks have said, George Benson could make any guitar sound great. That's a fact. That guy swings so hard. Damned.

Benson sure sounded right on top of his craft, though, during his Johnny Smith years. I know that this is right when he crossed over (like Wes) and started becoming wealthy. Heck, more power to him, right? One thing is certain: he never lost one iota of his playing ability when he became a full-time singer.

I don't know how many of you do Benson's gig--well or badly--but let me tell you, when I sing I get MUCH more attention from the audience. People like players, but they really listen to singers.

Here's another thing: the Gibson Johnny Smith guitar is capable of sounding as beautiful as the human voice--in capable hands. It is a terrific instrument.

Hey, Roger...good to see you back, again. I bet your L-5 with suspended pickup is very much a match for the JS. It would be great to have somebody do a A/B clip sometime.
    Greentone, One of the best posts ever buddy.
    JD

User Info Menu

The thing about Benson vs. Smith on the latter's eponymous instrument is that they are polar opposites in their stylistic approach using same tool, but both virtuosic in their own way. That's inspiring. Acoustic L-5 family guitars with floating pickups are harder to tame than a CES type. And these two guys show very different ways it can be done.

User Info Menu

"People like players, but they really listen to singers"

I've been telling our B-3 player this for yrs.
    he has a really good voice and gets great reaction when he sings, but he'll never volunteer to, I have to twist his arm to get him to sing a few tunes on a gig.
    like you said GT, people might like instrumentals, but they spin around in their seats to listen when someone sings.

you don't even have to be good!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger

Just ordered the cd. Thanks for the tip Marc. Jimmy was great with Wes too.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 10-21-2016 at 04:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Just ordered the cd. Thanks for the tip Marc. Jimmy was great with Wes too.
    I was just about to post the same thing Selling some CDs today! lol

User Info Menu

Let's not forget Pat Martino's great sound on a GJS and a Twin on "El Hombre." Here's a ballad that is included on the more recent versions of this recording.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Fuse
    Let's not forget Pat Martino's great sound on a GJS and a Twin on "El Hombre." Here's a ballad that is included on the more recent versions of this recording.

I always thought Martino utilized a Super 400 on that album. One of my favorites. Regardless of which model he used, the tone was great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Fuse
    Thanks for posting the link. I didn't even know that this song existed, still have the vinyl version of the original LP. Pat Martino and George Benson are my "main inspirations" after Wes.

User Info Menu

One last post on this thread, I promise..

I took a freeze frame off this video. We all know the comradery that you can only get from a fellow musician when performing live, but you very rarely see it as it relates to your hero's.
    After Johnny peeled off a tasteful run, George Duvivier looked over him and Johnny "felt" the adulation and glanced back at him.. Here it is.

Gibson Johnny Smith (finally)-johnny-george-jpg

I love it.. That's my guy right there...

User Info Menu

That song is also on the album Strings with a different band. This version sounds better though.

User Info Menu

Some really tasteful stuff by Pat Martino.
    The attack on the guitar does sound a lot like a Johnny. It sounds a lot like George Benson on the Breezin and Weekend in LA album.
    When I play my Johnny hard it has the same attack. I rarely do though..
    JD

User Info Menu

I wonder if GB had Ibanez designing his signature guitars to imitate the sound he got on the JS.

User Info Menu

Congrats, Joe -- beautiful guitar, playing, and story!

Enjoy!!!!

-Chris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    I wonder if GB had Ibanez designing his signature guitars to imitate the sound he got on the JS.
    I Honestly think a thin man (with very little in the middle), has an easier time getting comfortable with a fuller depth jazz box, especially while playing standing up. I've noticed this myself. The 175 which is deeper than my JS's sticks out too far when I play it standing up (I look like Freddie Green looked when he was siting down). The dimensions of the GB models are perfect for a regular guy who stands up while playing. The sound of a Johnny Smith as you know, is not the same as a GB. The X bracing, fretboard touching the carved top with the powerful floater and whatever other fairy dust they throw in on a GJS generates a sound that is unique to only Gibson. Nothing else feels, plays or sounds like it. Nothing.
    As I live with my GJS, I realize that by a shear stroke of luck, my desire to own one of these was rewarded with the best guitar experience anyone could ever imagine. The problem is, it has ruined me for other guitars. Because few other guitars compare to it, it will be pushing some other beloved guitars out of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by h1pst3r88
    Congrats, Joe -- beautiful guitar, playing, and story!
    Enjoy!!!!
    -Chris
    Hipster, Thanks buddy it was my pleasure.
    JD

User Info Menu

Ya know, it's OK if you find The One guitar and it's the only one you have.

Wait, no, that's crazy talk. Never mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Ya know, it's OK if you find The One guitar and it's the only one you have.

Wait, no, that's crazy talk. Never mind.
    We almost had to dispatch the Nutbag swat team on you brother. Careful Big Joe is in charge of the red button and he has Quick draw McGraw tendencies.